If Insanity is Not Appropriate for Obese People....

Options
Ok, so I've been seeing people getting all these amazing results on Insanity but I'm currently well over 100lbs overweight and just beginning my fitness routine. I'm not a COMPLETE beginner, but right now I only walk about 1.5 miles and do some calisthenics at home. I do however, have a very strong mind and I know my body will follow with time. I've read that Insanity is not appropriate for obese people... so what fitness routine would be? I like the idea of a structured plan. Any suggestions that have worked?

Replies

• sweetg150
    sweetg150 Posts: 17
    Options
    I am going to start the Walking at Home, the 5 miles. I havent gotten it yet, just been walking outside. I did use the biggest loser cardio max and I liked it, never made it past the first level, that was last year.
  • NancyMarie13
    NancyMarie13 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bump, wondering the same thing!
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    as a beginner i took on c25k for treadmills. taught me how to run.

as a beginner strength person i took on 30 day shred. was short workouts with modifications for beginners.

if you are getting results with insanity and can handle it then keep going!!!
  • MMH86
    MMH86 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My best friend (who is also on this site) has over 100lbs to lose, in fact, closer to 200, and she's doing Insanity & drinking Body by Vi shakes and she is having all kinds of success! Yes, it will be super hard at first, but you build your way up, just as you would with any workout routine.. : ) Good luck!
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My response is: do what you feel comfortable with! If you want to try Insanity, do it! I just started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred today! And I may be too fat to do it, but I'm doing it!!!
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    If you haven't exercised in a long time a good place to start would be on low impact cardio exercises. If you have access to a gym then use the bike or the elliptical or walk on the treadmill. If you don't then walking outside works just as good. Increase your distance/speed every time you do it and build up to a jog :)

Eventually, when you feel up to it, you could try a running plan such as the Couch to 5k.
  • lisaishotpink
    Options
    I have the Zumba Exhilarate DVD set, I also do Tae Bo DVD workouts (old and new stuff). I have lost weight mixing those with walking and HIIT on my elliptical machine, but I still have about 70-80 pounds to go! The workouts are structured, but not too difficult. Pilates is great too!!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I would truly recommend Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. It's a wonderful starting point. Each time I did it I felt stronger, could push a little harder and began to know my body could work hard. I loved it. Cycle One is free on YouTube if you'd like to test it out before you bought the system. Good luck!
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My best friend (who is also on this site) has over 100lbs to lose, in fact, closer to 200, and she's doing Insanity & drinking Body by Vi shakes and she is having all kinds of success! Yes, it will be super hard at first, but you build your way up, just as you would with any workout routine.. : ) Good luck!

eh. Body bi vi...don't get me started lol.
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You do what your body allows and just modify if need be. Bottom line, don't hurt yourself and make it impossible for you to exercise at all. Best of luck!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started out at 108kgs. I have a muscle disease and can't do a lot of exercise, so I have just been walking on the treadmill mostly. I have started with weights and bumping up the incline and pace doing interval on the treadmilll.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I started biking fell in love with that, I do 30 day shred, started with C25K and could run my farthest 30 secs and now can run for almost 2 min straight, I Zumba but most importantly I lift heavy weights!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    when i first did insanity i was also like 100 pounds overweight. all that jumping was really hard on my ankles and knees.

i ended up switching to more low impact exercises like running in the pool, bike, walking, elliptical. i also did HIIT and interval training as much as I could.

Strength training is also useful.

I'll try insanity again when I'm 20 pounds out
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, it isn't? O_o I'm technically 100 pounds overweight, and I'VE done some of the video before in my workouts. It's pretty damn hard but how else can you lose the weight? I knew a girl that did it for 1 month initially and lost 20 lbs. She was obese as well.
  • TheCurvyJ
    TheCurvyJ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have heard that Supreme 90 is like a precursor to Insanity or P90X.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    If you want to try it, then do it. Listen to your body, modify moves if needed, take breaks, or do it in chunks. There is no reason you can't slowly build into it.

I would also suggest 30 Day Shred. She suggests modifications. The first day, I had to take multiple breaks, but I got through it. The second day (I do it about every other day), I could do a little more. I admit though, I swear at Jillian! She makes you work and makes you sweat.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have the Zumba Exhilarate DVD set, I also do Tae Bo DVD workouts (old and new stuff). I have lost weight mixing those with walking and HIIT on my elliptical machine, but I still have about 70-80 pounds to go! The workouts are structured, but not too difficult. Pilates is great too!!

What is HIIT?
  • 1CALIJIBARO2
    Options
    Great to know that u r ready to kick some *kitten*.....I stared out @272lbs. I was able to walk only 90 seconds on the tread mill...... I did that for several weeks....I started INSANITY on my 3rd week........I did what I could......after 3 weeks I started INSANITY over again and did it @ my pace....what I was not able to to I improvised.....@ 40 days I had lost 38lbs.......REMEMBER @ your own pace & when U r ready to step it up then U go as U see fit.....GOOD LUCK....
  • sandywerks
    sandywerks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've done one round of Insanity and I loved it but it was hard on my joints (42, about 25-30lbs to lose) by the last week I really ached. There are no modifications shown, you just do as much of the workout as you can. It is really insane!

Im now in month 2 of a Chalean Extreme/TuroFire hybrid. Both from Chalene Johnson. In each workout there is always someone demonstrating a low impact version and you just move up to the full moves when you feel ready. TurboFire also just came out with an introductorary prep series which I understand is to ease you into the full workouts. I really like both programs and enjoy the variety of weights and cardio.
  • ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Jillian Michael's body revolution program--it's a 90 day program and the first month is low impact and the following months get progressively more challenging. There is a body revolution group on here--if you would like info from more people who are currently using the program:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/2900-jillian-michaels-body-revolution

The nice thing is that it's not repetitive, in one week you will have 3 completely different workouts and every 2 weeks those workouts all change.

Good luck!