Protein Poweder

Options
So I noticed that the protein powder I bought has 20 carbs and 20 pro. Is that right!? That seems kinda high in carbs for a protein shake....:>/ Is that right? :(

Replies

• Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    A little high, yes.

Try the isolate protein forms, much lower in carbs/sugars.
  • kid75
    kid75 Posts: 17
    Options
    Try super advance whey protein. It has 8carbs and 26 grams of protein and its only 140 calories
  • likesmetal
    likesmetal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I buy Isolate whey proteine that has 0 carbs, 27 g protein and 108 calories.
    Sounds like the one you bought is aimed at pre-workout shakes.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    can anyone suggest other brands? i have been wanting to get some but have no idea of which ones taste good.. i hear so many are just terrible.. at least ifi have a few suggestions in my head when i go it will make it easier..
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Whey isolates are too expensive and aren't really worth it unless you have lactose issues.

Next time you buy whey just check the label. Don't buy anything that is GNC branded. They suck. Some I recommend if you are trying to save some dollars:

Gaspari Myfosuion
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard
    MusclePharm Combat Powder
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Try Isopure Zero. High protein, 0 carb, mixes smooth, and tastes decent :)
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Mine is EAS Whey Isolate from Target (or any big box store I'd say) and it's pretty tasty! 23g protein, 3 carbs and 130 cals per scoop. I make it with water mostly (not too much or it's like chocolate water) and it's really easy to mix or blend with yogurt or milk and berries if you want to mix it up a bit!!!

Haven't tried any other brands yet, but my chiro sells one I may try that she says is good and has a little less protein but only like 80 cals... so we'll see!

ETA: Mine is about $20 for a 2 pound tub that lasts me a few weeks. Not at all expensive in my opinion.
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I use Super Advanced Whey Protein as well.
  • Lukazetta
    Options
    Whey isolates are too expensive and aren't really worth it unless you have lactose issues.

Lol.
  • AeolianHarp
    Options
    Lol.

Compared to whey concentrates? Of course they're more expensive. I get 46g of protein per dollar for my whey concentrate. Have never seen a single isolate even come close to that level of affordability. Please go, ignoramus.
  • Echos5
    Echos5 Posts: 3
    Options
    What is the name of your protein powder.
    Where do you buy it.
  • Lukazetta
    Options
    You keep taking your whey concentrate and keep following Matt Ogus bro.

Mirin' those progress pics too.

(not srs)

Good luck on your body fat loss goals for 2012.
  • AeolianHarp
    Options
    ETA: Mine is about $20 for a 2 pound tub that lasts me a few weeks. Not at all expensive in my opinion.

That isn't a pure whey isolate, which is why it's cheaper. It's a blend of concentrates and isolate and this is quite common amongst most protein blends.
    You keep taking your whey concentrate and keep following Matt Ogus bro.

Mirin' those progress pics too.

(not srs)

Good luck on your body fat loss goals for 2012.

Go on ...
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    thx for the suggestions, do you know where i can get them in canada? I heard lots of good things about the one from target, but sadly we don't have a target here :( we only have six star here at our walmart... what is that one like?
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I use North Coast Naturals whey protein powder (Iso-Whey, I think is the name on the container) in my smoothies. I mix a scoop of the powder with half a cup each of frozen berries, 2% milk and plain greek yogurt in the blender. The result is 21g carbs and 41g protein (and 3g fat, 4g fiber, 278cal).
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    thx for the suggestions, do you know where i can get them in canada? I heard lots of good things about the one from target, but sadly we don't have a target here :(

Well, we'll have Target before too long, they bought out Zellers. You can get the Iso-Whey powder I mentioned all over the place (Fortinos, Whole Foods, etc).
  • AeolianHarp
    Options
    thx for the suggestions, do you know where i can get them in canada? I heard lots of good things about the one from target, but sadly we don't have a target here :(

You're in luck. Head out to Costco and buy Lean Fit Whey, which is the cheapest whey you can buy in Canada. Mine has 25g of protein, 2g of fat, and 2g of carbs and it costs $19.99 for 2kg (4.4lbs). Great thing about this whey is that it's produced in a GMP certified facility and it is a mixture of ultrafiltered and cross-flow microfiltered whey.

I live in Canada and I exclusively buy this. I've done my research and you won't get anything that provides more grams of protein per dollar.
  • Lukazetta
    Options
    Whey isolates have higher protein contents (90% to above), while concentrates have much lower (around 70%).

More fat/ash/other constituents in concentrates.

Now, the benefits are almost the same BUT recent studies have showed concentrates are more likely to contain unwanted minerals.

It's really up to you on what you want to go for but for fat loss, I would def recommend the isolate even if it's a bit more expensive (you just have to look for sales and buy in bulk).
  • rvagnoni
    rvagnoni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump...I am looking for some new protein that is a little more affordable than $50-60 for 2 lbs....The EAS from target sounds like a good one....Any others out there?