study tips? *please help*

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
Okay so I am a visual/doing person when it comes to learning things. I am currently studying to become a Personal Trainer and have an anat and phys exam tomorrow. This is really hard as the subject is completely theory. I have been reading over and over my notes about 15 hours in total so far this weekend, and I feel like I have not absorbed ANY information of what I have read...

If I fail this I have to do the anat and phys course all over again and I just want to finish it, for it to be over and done with.

Help? Anyone got any good study tips?

Replies

• eodvarka
    eodvarka Posts: 30
    Options
    I actually listened to a presentation on how to memorize/study more efficiently. The key is to memorize with feeling--- as in, try to find shortcuts to memorizing things--- focus on how you FEEL when a word is presented. According to the expert, there's no such thing as being a visual learner/any other type of learner.

Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Are you a singer? A guitar player...?
    I used to memorize anatomy by singing it (while playing the guitar to a familiar song).
  • jwalker30
    jwalker30 Posts: 282
    Options
    Right before you fall to sleep, and immediately when you wake up most people tend to retain information for effectively. You're likely to retain more information if you study around those hours
  • AussieMisfit
    AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Draw pictures and diagrams. Read your notes into a voice recorder on your phone and play it back to yourself.
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I draw pictures of things that sound like the words or phrases I need to know. I can't show you here but something like this. You don't have to be a great artist. You just have to know what it is that you drew.

Example:
    The atmosphere (draw clouds) is the mixture (draw a blender or mixer) of gas molecules (draw gas pump with moles on it) and other materials surrounding the earth (ribbon or other "material" around a the earth).

For theory I just focus on the key words. If you don't have to remember a quote verbatim, no need to remember ever "the" "and" and "with".

Hope it helps.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I used to memorize anatomy by singing it (while playing the guitar to a familiar song).

ooh this is interesting. what's the song if you don't mind me asking?
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions here...

1. get a study partner -- go over it together... but make sure they are more the study type and not the party type
    2. Repetition is the key to learning. Try to bite it off in smaller chunks rather than trying to digest it all at one time... (how do you eat an elephant?)
    3. Diagram it out
    4. Study pictures, re label, etc.
    5. try to relax. You can do this.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    The method I use is trying to connect ideas as I learn them. I have ADHD and rote memorization is incredibly difficult for me; unfortunately, my BA in History and the law degree I'm pursuing now require tons of it. So I write down each concept and connect them together in as many ways as I can. For example, when I was studying Civil War history (my main focus for my major), I might write down 1865, Abraham Lincoln, and Sherman's March. Each thing relates to each other thing, so when I remember one, then it triggers me to remember the others. It's hard to see with only three examples, but it's really helpful when trying to tie together large amounts of information.

I'm not especially familiar with your subject (last anatomy class was in high school!) but I might approach it by breaking up the body into regions. So "lower back" would connect to muscles, vertebrae, etc. and "arms" would include different muscles and joints. Sort of memorize each group separately rather than trying to do one giant picture all at once. Then once you have all the parts down, just think of the fewer parts that they share, to facilitate a chain reaction.

Also, as soon as I sit down for a test, I scribble down as much raw information as I can on a piece of scratch paper to refer back to. Then I can focus on the questions rather than constantly trying to pull stuff up from memory.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    if it was more time than just tomorrow...

I would say set up flash cards with questions... or really hard concepts... then shuffle them. Draw them one at a time... and draw or act out your answer. Works better if you have other people to play with :P

Physical people learn from doing something... so even standing up, walking about, and reading outload with your text book
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

ooh this is interesting. what's the song if you don't mind me asking?
    You pick. I used an old simon and garfunkel song: scarborough affair for mine. Just pick one you know. Twinkle twinkle if it works!
  • CaoimheAine
    CaoimheAine Posts: 195
    Options
    I understand exactly how you feel. I have an exam tomorrow also. I am just completely unfocused at the moment... Sucks cos I can't remember anything I have been studying :/
  • SaundraM2009
    SaundraM2009 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I find that burst studying helps me focus better. I set a timer for 25 minutes and really focus on what's in front of me until the timer goes off. Then I take a 5 minute break. Repeat 3 times with a 15 minute break after the third focused study session.

http://www.pomodorotechnique.com/
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Make flashcards, recopy your notes, makes charts/diagrams/use graphic organizers, teach the information to someone else, make a powerpoint presentation of your information as if you were going to present it to someone, make up a game (jeopardy, who wants to be a millionaire, etc.) and play it with someone, read your notes out loud, make a song of the information, come up with mnemonic devices...