Stuck at a plateau and frustrated!

Options
So I am down 52 lbs and still 13 from goal and for the last month I have been either up or the same each week. I am so frustrated! I still only see the "fat me" and feel like giving up, even though I know I shouldn't . Looking for some advice as to how to get over this weight plateau and get out of this negative frame of mind.

Thanks in advance for any advice or support you can offer.

Replies

• creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    what do your workouts consist of, perhaps you havnt changed your routine in a while? if so your body will adapt to the workout and plateau like that
  • MommyRobin
    MommyRobin Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    OMG! I just posted the exact same topic! I have seriously hit a plateau. I have been stuck at 145 since April 8th. 2 weeks tomorrow. I've done this twice before. I was at 169 for a little over 2 weeks. & 155 for 2 weeks. I don't know what's going on. My calorie intake is good. I've actually started jogging every day. And I've added an upper arm routine with 5 lb. weights. The only thing I can think of is that I am building muscle and retaining water as the muscles heal. It's just frustrating after doing so well, to be stuck. I am so close to my goal. Just 10 more lbs. I'm tired of the 140's. lol. Anyone else experience this after a steady weight loss success? And what did you do to beak the plateau?
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I agree.
    Change up your workout routine.
    Try eating at maintenance for a few days. Or try zig zagging your calories.
  • erikakoop
    Options
    What is zig zagging calories mean?

Thanks, Erika
  • spartanmomca
    Options
    i have recently chnaged my workout routine. I used to do elliptical and stair machine everyday lately ive been taking some weight classes and doing less cardio, maybe this is the issue. I am also VERY stressed lately which makes things worse. I have always been a stress eater and it is gtting harder and harder to make good choices. :sad:
  • spartanmomca
    Options
    "What's zigzag your calories"i wanted to know that too!
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Switch up one thing at a time to see what needs to change. Up your calories to maintenance and stay there for a few weeks but keep your activity level the same as it has been. If that doesn't work, then try reducing the amount of activity for a few weeks. Also make sure you are varying the type of activity.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Do not give up! Not that I think you will,....sometimes you just have to hear it. I've been on a plateau since Feb......yep. I did all the wrong things in Feb and beginning of March....started to listen to the podcasts from fattofitradio.com on the recommendation from a friend. I upped my calories to maintenance of 2400 calories from 1350...didn't gain an ounce......didnt' lost an ounce (but I got to eat over an extra thousand calories) My workouts improved as did my mood and strength......I then scaled back my calories to 1900, went on vacation where I didn't really make the worst or best choices. Just had a good time but didnt' go crazy...came back home and have finally started losing VERY SLOWLY. However, as I learned the slow method to losing weight is preferable so that you lose fat instead of muscle. Good luck on your journey.
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to hearing answers.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Do not give up! Not that I think you will,....sometimes you just have to hear it. I've been on a plateau since Feb......yep. I did all the wrong things in Feb and beginning of March....started to listen to the podcasts from fattofitradio.com on the recommendation from a friend. I upped my calories to maintenance of 2400 calories from 1350...didn't gain an ounce......didnt' lost an ounce (but I got to eat over an extra thousand calories) My workouts improved as did my mood and strength......I then scaled back my calories to 1900, went on vacation where I didn't really make the worst or best choices. Just had a good time but didnt' go crazy...came back home and have finally started losing VERY SLOWLY. However, as I learned the slow method to losing weight is preferable so that you lose fat instead of muscle. Good luck on your journey.
    ^This

I was on a 1200 calorie diet and loosing about a pound a week and jumped to netting about 1650 (maintenance) and loosing a pound a week at a smaller weight (I'm 121 pounds now). My weeks net is above my maintenance weight this week even with the over exaggerated exercise calories I've been putting in I've still lost weight this week. I highly recommend it! Do some research on BMR, RMR, and TDEE.
  • jarredondo
    jarredondo Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I think what was meant by Zig Zag was stay at or under your calorie count for a day then go over a bit the next. Do that for a couple of days to shake your body up a bit.

I have seen suggestions on changing up your exercise routine. You could do the same with your diet. If you are always eating the same things mix that up too.

And what so many others have said, just stick with it. The scale might not be moving but your body may be changing. I had 3 weeks that the scale didn't change. But one day in that third week I went out for a run and two minutes into it I had to stop to tie my shorts. I know I had wore those same shorts to go run in the past 3 weeks and didn't have that problem. The body may be changing even if the scale is not. So stick with it. :-)
  • araxiedyck
    araxiedyck Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I feel stuck too, need to get passed this