Insanity or p90x?

Which do you prefer? Why? What were your goals at the beginning and results at the end?

Replies

• dasblondie
    dasblondie Posts: 100 Member
    i have the same question....hope someone has some ideas :)
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    I have done both and it depends on what you are looking for. Insanity doesnt require equipment so it was more doable because I don't have everything I need for p90x. Both are great programs but I enjoyed insanity more and had great results. If I was going to suggest which to do I would suggest doing insanity first then p90x if you are looking to do both. I completed insanity and decided to get back into lifting heavy so I am now following new rules of lifting for women and on my off days I do an insanity workout.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    I haven't completed either program but have done workouts from P90X and am currently doing a CLX/Insanity hybrid but I used this site to help me decide ultimately - http://www.wikihow.com/Decide-if-P90X-or-Insanity-Is-Better-for-You

The programs are different and will likely produce different results for different people - Insanity is more cardio based and P90X more weight training. Insanity you don't need anything more than some space and your body (and lots of water!) and P90X uses dumbbells, chin-up bars, and other equipment.

As far as personality, I really like Shaun T because he makes you push yourself harder, but reminds you to take breaks. Tony is a goofball so makes workouts fun. If nothing else, there's a hybrid of the two: http://www.teambeachbody.com/home/-/image_get_file/aa5b1e72-30fa-4f8e-a990-e2d35a699bc3
  • nlehmann
    nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
    I have also done both for very different reasons. The two programs are nothing alike but are both awesome and will give results if you keep at it. If you want hard cardio with not much for muscle action, Insanity is your program. If you want to build strength but may not lose a ton of weight quickly I recommend P90X. Beachbody.com has a hybrid program that combos both programs for some hard cardio on non-lifting days for P90X. Either one you choose make sure to push hard and you will get results. Good Luck.
  • obrien821
    obrien821 Posts: 215
    I would have to say that P90X builds more muscle and Insanity burns more fat. You use weights in P90X where Insanity does not. However, when weight training muscle does burn fat, as well. I'd say they are equally good just depends on what you prefer.
  • I am doing P90x now and Insanity next. Loving all the beachbody products I have used so far, sk much so that I signed up a as acoach!
  • Stowguy2012
    Stowguy2012 Posts: 111
    Where can I buy insanity?
  • nicholebean
    nicholebean Posts: 160
    Where can I buy insanity?

Beachbody.com although tbh my fiance bought ours off ebay!
  • Like others have said it depends on what kind of goals you have, they are both incredible programs. I started with P90X Doubles and lost 42 pounds while building alot of strength and lean muscle. I then did Insanity and really began to burn off the extra BF%, I enjoyed Insanity so much that I did a second round, now I am finishing up the Asylum. Bottom line is both these programs have the potential to change your life, its all a matter of how hard you push towards that change, Bring It or Dig Deeper!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Like others have said it depends on what kind of goals you have, they are both incredible programs. I started with P90X Doubles and lost 42 pounds while building alot of strength and lean muscle. I then did Insanity and really began to burn off the extra BF%, I enjoyed Insanity so much that I did a second round, now I am finishing up the Asylum. Bottom line is both these programs have the potential to change your life, its all a matter of how hard you push towards that change, Bring It or Dig Deeper!
    Congrats on your fat loss!
    I'm in the middle of doing insanity.
    I'm curious how tough is Asylum compare to insanity since it's only 1 month work out?
    Since you did Insanity after P90x, did you lose some muscle mass that you earned on P90x?
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Like others have said it depends on what kind of goals you have, they are both incredible programs. I started with P90X Doubles and lost 42 pounds while building alot of strength and lean muscle. I then did Insanity and really began to burn off the extra BF%, I enjoyed Insanity so much that I did a second round, now I am finishing up the Asylum. Bottom line is both these programs have the potential to change your life, its all a matter of how hard you push towards that change, Bring It or Dig Deeper!
    Congrats on your fat loss!
    I'm in the middle of doing insanity.
    I'm curious how tough is Asylum compare to insanity since it's only 1 month work out?
    Since you did Insanity after P90x, did you lose some muscle mass that you earned on P90x?

I'm starting week9 of P90X Monday and I'm doing Insanity next. Can't friggin wait!!! But I'm curious about the muscle mass question! I didn't even think of that!
  • I didn't lose any muscle mass but I did however lose some strength in my back from the lack of pullups, but overall and especially during month 2 of Insanity my strength and anarobic threshold increased dramaticaly. My cardio went litteraly "Insane". As far as Asylum goes after doing 2 rounds of Insanity back to back I feel like Asylum is pretty easy, don't get me wrong I'm not saying it isn't a great workout program it's just that for me it has not been the beast it was made out to be. I have improved my speed, strength, agility and vertical by alot in Asylum but feel like my cardio has slipped a bit from Insanity levels. In order to make Asylum more difficult for me I included doing Overtime every other day and P90X2 AB Ripper X2 in between Overtime days throughout the entire program sofar. The AB part is due to Asylum not having a pure AB workout, although almost every workout will work your core. Also the muscle mass gain or loss will mostly be due to your diet, deficit will mean building lean muscle and ripping fat, a calorie surplus will mean building mass, you CAN build mass during Insanity. I however have only been working a deficit throughout all these programs. Good luck and keep digging deeper!