Scales?

Options
I'm on my third scale. Is there anyone else that just wanted to take a sledge hammer to their digital scale? I can weigh 6 times in a row and get a different weight. I even bought a nice Weight Watchers digital scale. It drives me nuts. I replaced it with another but it does the same thing.

I ended up buying a cheapy dial one tonight just so I could get a more acurate weight. I'm so frustrated. I guess I'll save up for a really nice scale but I have no idea what to get.

Anyone have advise or want to scale vent with me? :)

Replies

• soon2b_1fitmama
    Options
    i felt the same way.. i have 3 digital scales ^_^ ... they're not even cheap >.< but i always get different numbers.. like way off! This morning for example it said i weight 5 lbs less than yesterday, yes it made me feel good but no, it wasn't true lol
    so i also have just a dial scale that i'm sure is the most accurate
  • Dietz27
    Dietz27 Posts: 107
    Options
    I bought a Biggest Loser scale tonight. It's clear glass and was only $29. Seems nice so far.
  • FitBlitz
    FitBlitz Posts: 146
    Options
    Know what's cheaper and won't lie to you? ;D Measuring tape. I'd invest in one (like 2.00 from a local craft store if that) as a back-up to the scale.

You can sometimes not lose any lbs, but lose inches. :)

Have a great evening !
  • Dietz27
    Dietz27 Posts: 107
    Options
    Know what's cheaper and won't lie to you? ;D Measuring tape. I'd invest in one (like 2.00 from a local craft store if that) as a back-up to the scale.

Have a great evening !
    Good point!!!
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Have a great evening !

Great idea. I will do that!

I know I'm losing weight or at least inches. My shorts slid down yesterday when I was cleaning house. LOL! Time to go shopping!
  • JessieArt
    Options
    I bought a Biggest Loser scale tonight. It's clear glass and was only $29. Seems nice so far.

I almost bought one tonight. I'm just digital shy now. Does it seem to be consistent?
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have found at my house I have to keep the scale in one area because of the floor being slightly uneven which gives me different numbers.
  • shunima
    shunima Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have good experiences with scales of this brand. Very consistent results and not really expensive if you go with the basic product line.

http://www.amazon.com/Soehnle-63747-Digital-Scale-White/dp/B003MUJV82/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hpc_6/179-4194709-4451235
  • nana6380__Chris
    nana6380__Chris Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Biggest loser scales and a tape measure....
  • bananapotamus
    Options
    I gave my scales away a few weeks ago. Had major withdrawals at first, but now I don't miss them.
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options

Have a great evening !

This.....100%
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I will tell you NOT to purchase any of the TAYLOR brand scales...useless
  • JessieArt
    Options
    I gave my scales away a few weeks ago. Had major withdrawals at first, but now I don't miss them.

How do you track your progress or do you?
  • kmcewen68
    Options
    Make sure your scale is in the same spot, on a level surface. Weigh yourself only when you first get up in the morning. Don't weigh yourself in the morning one day and mid afternoon the next...it will be off. Also, remember the scale isn't telling you the whole story, if you are working out with weights you may actually gain weight at first. I agree with what someone said...get a tape measure its tells you a better story...And measure at the same spot each time. Ie. mid point of the thighs, or smallest point on waist (just above your navel). Hope this helps :)
  • JessieArt
    Options
    Aha, I just read that if you move your scale before you weight you will get an inacurate weight. The parts inside will be moving and won't weigh you properly. It also said to put one foot on the scale to clear out the memory before you weigh. It said to put the scale in one place and never move it.

That might be my issue. I do clear the memory but we store it and move it before weighing. I guess I need to find a new room to weigh in where my scale can be stablalized.
  • Nu_Mel
    Nu_Mel Posts: 48
    Options

Have a great evening !

Agree with the above. Also only weigh yourself once a week/month whatever you decide. I weigh weekly for stats here, but my PT and I look at my weight over a month.
  • Kayley
    Kayley Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Aha, I just read that if you move your scale before you weight you will get an inacurate weight. The parts inside will be moving and won't weigh you properly. It also said to put one foot on the scale to clear out the memory before you weigh. It said to put the scale in one place and never move it.

That might be my issue. I do clear the memory but we store it and move it before weighing. I guess I need to find a new room to weigh in where my scale can be stablalized.

This should work! Some other tips are to not have it up against a wall or on carpet. :wink:
  • miss_803
    miss_803 Posts: 6
    Options
    IF YOU ARE USING A DIGITAL SCALE TRY AND MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE ON A FLAT FIRM SURFACE AT ALL TIMES. PREFERABLY SOMEWHERE WITH LIKE HARD TILE AS OPPOSED TO ON VINYL/CARPET. AND WHAT TIME OF DAY ARE YOU WEIGHING YOURSELF? I WEIGH MYSELF AS SOON AS I GET OUT OF BED AND USE THE RESTROOM.
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My digital scales were wierd. It said I had lost 5 lbs. It was consistant over 2 days as well.

I changed the batteries and the weight came back. I now think that calories live in batteries!
  • GennetteD
    GennetteD Posts: 33
    Options
    Totally! I feel like I haven't lost anything in like forever. I just want to throw the scale out the window. Then replace it since it isn't my scale.