Weight Lifting for Weight Loss: When Do I Start?

Options
Hey peeps,

I know strength training is very important along with cardio to lose weight and replace muscle that is lost in the process but my question is when do I start heavy lifting? I have about 80 or more pounds to lose which is a lot of fat lol, I was always just told to do lots of cardio to get rid of fat then worry about building muscle after the first 40lbs come off from cardio. I don't feel that's correct but I also don't know when to start lifting seriously along with my cardio. I know its important to lift heavy for as many reps possible but I find myself only occasionally doing this because I just don't know how important or what the point of it is since the muscle would be hidden by fat anyways lol, but more muscle burns more calories and makes exercise easier. So when do I start making this apart of my routine?

Advice please!

- Nancy (:

Replies

• NancyMarie13
    NancyMarie13 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    B u m p
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Now. In fact, the more weight you have to lose the more chance you will maintain your muscle mass.
  • Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but pretty sure the general view is that it's best to start now. For example, you might burn 500 calories on the treadmill in a hour, but only 300 calories weight lifting for the same time. However, after you've finished weight training, your body will continue to burn calories for some time afterwards (can't remember how long) - but the upshot is that you end up burning more calories overall from weight training when looked at over a 24 hour period.

Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women, someone here put me on to it, and the changes to my figure from it so far have been impressive, even though I'm still technically overweight.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Now. Cardio sucks for weight loss, unless you have hours of free time every day.
  • NancyMarie13
    Options
    Now. Cardio sucks for weight loss, unless you have hours of free time every day.

Which I don't lol, so I'd rather make the most of my time spent in the gym.

How *often should I weight train? I've heard only twice a week.
  • NancyMarie13
    Options
    I'm no expert, but pretty sure the general view is that it's best to start now. For example, you might burn 500 calories on the treadmill in a hour, but only 300 calories weight lifting for the same time. However, after you've finished weight training, your body will continue to burn calories for some time afterwards (can't remember how long) - but the upshot is that you end up burning more calories overall from weight training when looked at over a 24 hour period.

Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women, someone here put me on to it, and the changes to my figure from it so far have been impressive, even though I'm still technically overweight.

I've heard so much about that, deff gunna check it out.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Now.
    It's easier to build muscle at higher weight, that's why bodybuilders do 'bulking' where they gain extra fat along with the muscle, then 'cutting' to get rid of the fat.
    Also as above poster said, cardio burns cals while in the gym, but increased muscle mass burns more cals 24/7, and will help you lose inches quicker :-)
  • NancyMarie13
    Options
    Now.
    It's easier to build muscle at higher weight, that's why bodybuilders do 'bulking' where they gain extra fat along with the muscle, then 'cutting' to get rid of the fat.
    Also as above poster said, cardio burns cals while in the gym, but increased muscle mass burns more cals 24/7, and will help you lose inches quicker :-)

Never thought of it this way, makes sense! Thanks.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    as early as possible!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

I prefer 3x per week about an hour a day. That is really all you need to get in whatever type of shape you want. The rest is all diet. Make sure you get at least 1g protein per pound of lean body mass per day.

If you can only manage 2x per week, you can still get good results. The diet/exercise lifestyle you can stick with is always better than some hypothetical perfect plan that you cheat on because it just doesn't work for you. :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

It depends, as a novice I would say only once or twice a week if doing a full body program. When you become a bit more experienced you can work your way up to three or four times a week. OR you could do a split program, either 3, 4, or 5 days. :)
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    NOW!!! :) More muscle = more calories burned more efficiently, faster metabolism, stronger body, stronger mind, tighter body, healthier body, healthier mind! :D So many good reasons to strength train!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

If you are following a program like NROLFW, stick to the suggestions. Otherwise, you can go more 3 - 4 times a week depending if you split your workouts to different body areas (e.g. Legs, Back/Shoulders, Chest/Arms). Leave at least 2 full days break between working one area. And give your self at least 1 day of full rest a week.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    The NROLFW recommends 3x per week. It's up to you whether you do cardio on top of that - I do, in fact, partly for heart health and partly because I like to eat a lot, so I claim back my exercise cals!
  • bananapotamus
    Options
    Hi! I wanted to share a website that I visit frequently, since I love lifting weights.
    http://www.stumptuous.com/
    So much good advice here on both lifting and nutrition for real women wanting to get seriously strong.
    I think you'll find the answer to your question here.
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Best of luck in reaching your goals.
  • NancyMarie13
    Options
    This is extremely helpful, I enjoy the challenge of lifting and I'm a pretty strong woman so knowing all the benefits it will bring has brought a sense of urgency to my attention so I can start doing this for real now.

I deff need to work on my protein intake, planning on getting some protein powder this week.
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Are only weights considered 'strength training'?
  • NancyMarie13
    Options
    Hi! I wanted to share a website that I visit frequently, since I love lifting weights.
    http://www.stumptuous.com/
    So much good advice here on both lifting and nutrition for real women wanting to get seriously strong.
    I think you'll find the answer to your question here.
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Best of luck in reaching your goals.

Love this site already! Thanks
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am NO expert. However, I think it is important to get cardio as well as strength training.

I have only been doing cardio. In the beginning I did 15 minutes of cardio then increased it to 30 minutes
    and continued to increase it. I have lost a total of 75 pounds as of yesterday .

I am now doing strength training. I am not saying this is the best way. Just do not discount the benefits of cardio.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Are only weights considered 'strength training'?

To get the proper benefit, you need go 'lift heavy' - so in this context, yes (well, with the exception of push ups and pull ups I suppose as these don't actually include weights).