Weight Lifting for Weight Loss: When Do I Start?

Options

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "start now" club. First of all, when the weight comes off, you want something underneath it to "show off". I still have a hundred pounds or so to go but I am already seeing some evidence of muscle tone developing. Secondly, muscle burns fat more readily... By increasing your lean muscle, improve this catabolic process... Some suggest that you wait on the weight training just so you don't get overwhelmed and quit... It was recommended that I start with cardio but that I could start some weight training if I wanted to... Since this was not the first time I had been in a gym, I hit it all pretty much in the beginning... I like working out (once I got the initial diet in place)... I suppose the short answer here is... if you feel that you are ready.. do it... do it consistently to the level you feel comfortable with. Here is my suggestion .. take it or leave it.. it is not so much scientific as it does work for me...

50% cardio
    50% weight training

On cardio, do whatever you are doing...
    ON weights make sure you do upper body one day and lower body the next... Don't forget ab exercises...

DO NOT WORK THE SAME MUSCLES EVERY DAY... (reason: muscle mass actually builds on REST days... workouts tear down muscle BUT the rest day is what actually builds the muscle back in -- due to micro tears in the muscle tissue and the body's regeneration mechanism)... I did not understand this the first time I went into this (several years ago) and actually got weaker as I worked harder...Now I know why... Doing it the right way, I am now getting STRONGER with my workouts.

Don't be surprised if you see some slow down (at first) on the scales and maybe even a slight increase ... Muscle is heavier (denser) than fat.. Therefore, you may actually GAIN weight but LOSE inches. this effect will not be dramatic but it can seem like it is not working if you don't know what is going on...

I wish you the very best.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The above poster makes a good point - make sure you measure yourself - you may not see as big a difference in the scale as you will with the tape measure (and the latter is the more important one).
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Are only weights considered 'strength training'?

To get the proper benefit, you need go 'lift heavy' - so in this context, yes (well, with the exception of push ups and pull ups I suppose as these don't actually include weights).

Thanks! So what is 'heavy'? ....I'm taking it my 1kg weights won't cut it! ;)

Also is ab work etc considered strength?
  • creative1981
    Options

DO NOT WORK THE SAME MUSCLES EVERY DAY... (reason: muscle mass actually builds on REST days... workouts tear down muscle BUT the rest day is what actually builds the muscle back in -- due to micro tears in the muscle tissue and the body's regeneration mechanism)... I did not understand this the first time I went into this (several years ago) and actually got weaker as I worked harder...Now I know why... Doing it the right way, I am now getting STRONGER with my workouts.

Don't be surprised if you see some slow down (at first) on the scales and maybe even a slight increase ... Muscle is heavier (denser) than fat.. Therefore, you may actually GAIN weight but LOSE inches. this effect will not be dramatic but it can seem like it is not working if you don't know what is going on...

Interesting stuff! Thanks :)
  • sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I started strength training before I'd reached my goal weight, and then got pee'd off because my weight then started to go back up due to the weight of the muscle mass, so i stopped training. Now I'm almost at goal weight, so I'll start training in a couple weeks when i get there. Personally, I didn't want to start building my muscle on the fat that was left, I wanted to shift the fat that was there before builing the muscle up, I don't want to build bukly muscle, i want to to build toned muscle.

And how the hell can you people say that cardio doesn't work!!!!

The only exercise I do is walking very briskly for an hour every day, either at lunch time or in the evening, and thats all I've been doing, in line with eating 1200 cals per day, and I've lost almost 2 stone in under 4 months.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

To get the proper benefit, you need go 'lift heavy' - so in this context, yes (well, with the exception of push ups and pull ups I suppose as these don't actually include weights).

Sorry - they won't :ohwell:

As a guide - you should lift as heavy as you do can while keeping good form and do, say 3 sets (some do more or less depending on the program they are on) with 5 - 8 reps - where you are struggling on the last couple or reps.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Now. Cardio sucks for weight loss, unless you have hours of free time every day.

Which I don't lol, so I'd rather make the most of my time spent in the gym.

How *often should I weight train? I've heard only twice a week.

If you are following a program like NROLFW, stick to the suggestions. Otherwise, you can go more 3 - 4 times a week depending if you split your workouts to different body areas (e.g. Legs, Back/Shoulders, Chest/Arms). Leave at least 2 full days break between working one area. And give your self at least 1 day of full rest a week.

Sorry to hijack post a bit -
    Sarah, is there any benefit to doing split routines over full body?
    I'm only doing upper body / abs at minute due to knee injury, but I'd be interested to know for when I can get back to lower body!
  • sheryllamb72
    Options
    Now. Cardio sucks for weight loss, unless you have hours of free time every day.

That's crap, get your facts right...............................All I've done is cardio and eating 1200 cals per day, and I've lost almost 2 stone in less that 4 months!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I started strength training before I'd reached my goal weight, and then got pee'd off because my weight then started to go back up due to the weight of the muscle mass, so i stopped training. Now I'm almost at goal weight, so I'll start training in a couple weeks when i get there. Personally, I didn't want to start building my muscle on the fat that was left, I wanted to shift the fat that was there before builing the muscle up, I don't want to build bukly muscle, i want to to build toned muscle.

The only exercise I do is walking for an hour every day, either at lunch time or in the evening, and thats all I've been doing, in line with eating 1200 cals per day, and I've lost almost 2 stone in under 4 months.

Who said cardio does not work? And BTW, you do not build muscle on fat.
  • sheryllamb72
    Options

Don't you get a lunch hour? You could get out and walk in your lunch hour.....30/45 minutes is better than not walking at all.
  • sheryllamb72
    Options

The only exercise I do is walking for an hour every day, either at lunch time or in the evening, and thats all I've been doing, in line with eating 1200 cals per day, and I've lost almost 2 stone in under 4 months.

WACKYFUNSTER on the first page.

What I meant is that I wanted the fat on my arms to have gone before strength training. I didnt want to start doing weights when I had fat arms.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    actually the most important thing for weight loss is eating at a deficit. regardless if you do strength, cardio, or strength+cardio it doesnt matter if you arent consistently watching what you eat.

weights and cardio will make sure that you dont lose muscle mass while you're losing weight.

both strength and cardio are important. i think most people who say they are anti-cardio are actually anti people doing hours and hours of it each day. 30-60 minutes 3-6 days a week should be enough, just make those minutes count.

also you can get a pretty good strength workout using just body weight. it depends on what YOUR starting strength level is. strength training is more about progressively increasing the stress you put on your muscles rather than any specific weight.

and start NOW.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

If you are following a program like NROLFW, stick to the suggestions. Otherwise, you can go more 3 - 4 times a week depending if you split your workouts to different body areas (e.g. Legs, Back/Shoulders, Chest/Arms). Leave at least 2 full days break between working one area. And give your self at least 1 day of full rest a week.

I'm only doing upper body / abs at minute due to knee injury, but I'd be interested to know for when I can get back to lower body!

I really think it is preference as well as being able to train more times each week. I do not go to the gym at the weekend and so only can go a max. of 5 days. If I cannot get to the gym, say on Monday, then I really only can get 2 workouts in as you need the rest days. Doing a split routine, I can 'play around' with the timing - I usually split between legs/abs, chest/arms & back/shoulders.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    love reading this thread, really good advice in here :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

WACKYFUNSTER on the first page.

What I meant is that I wanted the fat on my arms to have gone before strength training. I didnt want to start doing weights when I had fat arms.

Maybe you should not have said 'you people' and addressed his quote specifically then.
  • NancyMarie13
    NancyMarie13 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "start now" club. First of all, when the weight comes off, you want something underneath it to "show off". I still have a hundred pounds or so to go but I am already seeing some evidence of muscle tone developing. Secondly, muscle burns fat more readily... By increasing your lean muscle, improve this catabolic process... Some suggest that you wait on the weight training just so you don't get overwhelmed and quit... It was recommended that I start with cardio but that I could start some weight training if I wanted to... Since this was not the first time I had been in a gym, I hit it all pretty much in the beginning... I like working out (once I got the initial diet in place)... I suppose the short answer here is... if you feel that you are ready.. do it... do it consistently to the level you feel comfortable with. Here is my suggestion .. take it or leave it.. it is not so much scientific as it does work for me...

50% cardio
    50% weight training

On cardio, do whatever you are doing...
    ON weights make sure you do upper body one day and lower body the next... Don't forget ab exercises...

:-) thanks!
  • NancyMarie13
    Options
    I don't think anyone is saying cardio doesn't work. I definitely plan on keeping cardio in the mix for multiple reasons, my main focus was how important it was to adding strength training in the mix and reasons why, which everyone has answered and helped me with.
  • NancyMarie13
    Options
    Everyone is going to have different results with different plans for ME strength training was something of interest to add along to my cardio. It just makes sense.

Thanks for everyone's quick reply on the topic at hand.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

I really think it is preference as well as being able to train more times each week. I do not go to the gym at the weekend and so only can go a max. of 5 days. If I cannot get to the gym, say on Monday, then I really only can get 2 workouts in as you need the rest days. Doing a split routine, I can 'play around' with the timing - I usually split between legs/abs, chest/arms & back/shoulders.

Ah ok thanks!
    I do boxercise/box circuits mon/wed/thurs/fri more because I like it rather than for weight loss, usually do weights before class on wed as that's a shorter session and also on sat, rest days sun and tues. ideally I'd have a rest day thurs or fri but that's just when the classes are so I'm stuck with it unless I cut out one day.
    Then there is running when my knee isnt playing up, think I need more days to fit everything in lol
  • creative1981
    Options

Sorry - they won't :ohwell:

As a guide - you should lift as heavy as you do can while keeping good form and do, say 3 sets (some do more or less depending on the program they are on) with 5 - 8 reps - where you are struggling on the last couple or reps.