Knee pain

Options
I have some pain in my left knee, it's not very bad...more of a nagging pain. It gets worse after I workout and stays that way until I have a rest day.

I'm afraid my knee is just going to give out and I'll get a serious injury one day.

Anyone any advice? Knee supports?

I do Jillian Michaels work out dvds around 4/5 times a week so I suppose it's not really helping.

Replies

• ChinaLexie
    ChinaLexie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I feel for you! I totally understand this nagging injury. Have you thought of differing your activities? Doing something with less impact? Elliptical? Yoga? Swimming? Weights? Walking (this could be better or worse for it--depends on the person). I would look into some easy at-home PT activities and stretching. Honestly, knee pain is tricky. It could be the extra pounds adding pressure with no due harm (or worse injuries in the future). Or, it could be that you don't stretch enough! I find that I am very injury prone. If I don't have knee pain, I have a shin splint. If I don't have a shin splint, I have a stinging knot in my lower back. Yet, my best friends NEVER get injured. Boo.

If all else fails, go to a running store and get fitted for the right type of shoe. Neutral, high arch, no arch, etc.. actually makes a BIG difference in knee pain.

Good luck, my friend!
  • mandi2r
    mandi2r Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.. My knees have always been a problem for me. My knees actually pop out of their sockets and pop back in. Its very painful and sometimes cripples me for a time. I haven't found a support that works for me yet, but I will say exercising seems to have helped some, even though it leaves them sore, its a good soreness.

If you find a support that works let me know!!?
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    not enough detail it heavily depends on where the pain is as to what the injury is, I tore my left ITB not too long ago, it was a popping feeling followed by severe pain and I had a very hard time walking, that was on the outside of the knee, you have several Ligaments, the LCL, ACL and...cant think of the third right now, the patella, I mean theres a lot that can go wrong if you have pain my advice would be to see a physician before you keep training on it or it will turn into a full blown injury like mine was it put me out of the game for several months
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I suggest checking with your doctor. It could be as simple as tendonitis. The Doc can help you manage the inflamation.
    I have both tendonitis and bursitis and it's all about ice, rest, and unfortunately sometimes if it's bad enough meds.
    But you should check with the doctor, he/she is really the only one who'll know and its better to be proactive about pain.

Good Luck!!! I hope you feel better soon!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Check with doctor.

I played with this https://www.masterdocs.com/kneepain/start.php
    and I certainly didn't like it's answers =P
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    30ds killed my knees. i discovered i could jump around and such, but if i do jumping-jacks or butt-kicks i end up with knee pain.

take it from me, long-term injury is not worth the risk, so take at least a few days rest from the jumping, and at least a full week rest from the jumping jacks and butt-kicks (maybe lunges too, or just don't go as deep).

if it gives sharp pain or continued pain, see a doctor.

if i could rewind to the day i caused my hernia and do it all again without it, i would.
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Don't fret, the fix is easy :-)

I see clients with this all the time and 99% of the time, it's nothing serious. If you have had no recent trauma, It's one of two issues but both of them are caused by not using your butt and using the fronts of your legs too much during squats and lunges.

Confirm what I'm saying by doing a squat. If, when you squat, your knees go farther forward than your toes, this is your issue. With lunges, the pressure should rest on your heels. If its on your toes, this is also your problem.

Do trigger point on your iliotibial band, vastus medialis and sartorius (search for referred trigger point pain), fix your lunges and squats and do bridges and you will be fine.

But remember, if you don't retrain your body to use the right muscles, it will one back.

For more fitness, nutrition and exercise advice, check out my blog at wellfitlife.me
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    P.s. the doc will give u ibuprofen or muscle relaxers and tell you to rest and ice it...

I say skip the me divine and fix your muscles naturally
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have been having pain and stiffness in my left knee for the past few weeks. I stopped all lower body exercises and it's not getting any better so I am seeing an orthopedist tomorrow. I hope I didn't tear anything. I think it's best to stay off of it - those JM videos are very hard on your knees. Use ice to reduce inflammation and see a dr if there's no improvement.