Multi-vitimans and Protein shakes

Options
How helpful are they when it comes to losing weight? I understand the mechanics of losing weight (calories in vs. calories out) but I see lots of people talking about vitamins and the shakes and wonder what it's all about...

Replies

• misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes because I cannot get enough protein from foods (i'm intolerant to a lot of things) and I can only eat so much tuna/chicken/salmon in a day (i'm not huge on meats).
    Protein is good for maintaing muscle.
    I strength train 3 days a week and I want to lose weight but I DONT want to lose muscle.
    Without my protein shake or bar I usually would only get about 40 g of protein a day (sometimes as low as 20g)
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are GREAT! They are great as a meal replacement and if you get the right kind of protein powder, it will also contain some vitamins and nutrients in it. I don't know the science of it, but protein helps to feed your muscles and it also helps you to feel full (and takes longer to break down/digest). I think thats why its great as a meal replacement and right after you work out. Also, I mentioned it feeds the muscles. So while you are losing fat and your muscles are getting stronger.. it speeds up your metabolism (thats what happens when you build more muscle, fat loss/metabolism increases!).

Multivitamins however.. I have heard many people state that if you are eating the right foods you should be getting enough vitamins and not have to take a multi. Unless you know you're deficient ... my opinion would be against taking one HOWEVER- thats just me personally. Maybe someone who has better knowledge can chime in and advise you get some. :)
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    I drink protein drinks after my workout and I bring them to my weekend job for lunch because I work in pet stores and having food under my table with dogs would be a huge disaster!

The only vitamins I take are ones my doctor told me to take. I have to go in for blood work every 3 months because it keeps coming back wonky. Everything is back to normal except my liver enzymes because I have gall stones, but they want me to continue my Vitamin D supplement
  • KJackson50
    KJackson50 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies!

I'm definitely leaning towards taking protein shakes occasionally. My diet is balanced for the most part, and taking multi vitamins would feel like "overkill".
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies!

I'm definitely leaning towards taking protein shakes occasionally. My diet is balanced for the most part, and taking multi vitamins would feel like "overkill".

you should take vitamins, me and all my buddies take the GNC vitapacks, Ive tried several of them they all work great now I just use the joint packs which are magical for my joints I love those.
  • mclarenemma
    Options
    I use protein powder in smoothies after the gym or if I want a more filling breakfast. I also use multi-vits and mineral supps and natural anti-inflammatries because I have stuffed my body so much from so many different diets I am completely deficient in far too many things to just get the nutrients from food
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes that aren't just the powder are pretty decent meal replacements (mix with peanut butter, fruit, yogurt, etc)

Multivitamins just make expensive pee if you know you are eating a decent diet.
    That being said I use Opti-Men and they throw a bunch of random plant parts in to make it seem fancy. Can't say it has affected my weight loss in the least.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to eat healthy and I get enough protein. My trouble is I can never get enough iron in. Would taking a multi vitamin make me get too much of the other vitamins? I cant take plain iron pills as they constipate me. Any tips on how to get my iron up?
  • mclarenemma
    Options
    I have been trying to eat healthy and I get enough protein. My trouble is I can never get enough iron in. Would taking a multi vitamin make me get too much of the other vitamins? I cant take plain iron pills as they constipate me. Any tips on how to get my iron up?

Don't have iron containing foods with dairy in the same meal - it stops the absorption - so no spinach and ricotta, cream sauce on green veg etc. You could also try a B Complex if you cant take plain iron tablets. The only way you can tell you dont have enough iron going through your body is via blood test so get one done if you're concerned (should get a general "everything" test done at least once a year anyway)

And Iron comes in many forms other than red meat - spinach, beans, lentils, fish, tomato paste
  • bellajait
    Options
    what kind of protein shakes would be best for losing weight? surely they arent all the same?
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    what kind of protein shakes would be best for losing weight? surely they arent all the same?
    I'm personally not talking about the pre-bottled Special K/Slimfast stuff.
    Talking about whey protein+other ingredients.
    Whatever would be less calories than you would normally eat for that meal.
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I do the body fortress protein shake every morning and most times in addition to breakfast not just as a replacement to get the extra protein and also after my weight workout days. I also take several supplements as I feel even eating right our food lacks the nutrients we need. I take a powder multi, OPC/Antioxidant and Omega3 DHA/EPA.

Here is a blog post on mineral deficiency also that may be helpful.

http://drlauraruby.com/essential-nutrition/getting-the-dirt-on-mineral-deficiencies/

Another section from Dr Ruby's Site.

It’s all about balance.
    •Are you getting the recommended 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables per day?
    •Are you getting enough exercise? Sleep?
    •Are you feeling stressed out all of the time?
    New approaches are emerging to look at the body as a whole & focus more on prevention. Chronic symptoms are typically the result of an imbalance of a variety of factors related to metabolism, vitamins, nutrients & minerals.

Metabolism is more than “calories in vs. calories out.”
    It is the balance of multiple biochemical reactions that occur simultaneously in our body. Vitamins, nutrients & minerals are integrally involved in most of the biochemical functions that occur in our bodies. Environment, food, genetics & stress can all impact our natural metabolic balance. Nutrients are precursors or building blocks needed in many of the body’s biochemical processes such as the formation of neurotransmitters and hormones. A deficiency in almost any combination of nutrients can dramatically alter our body’s metabolic balance.

The bottom line is that our environment is ever changing. We are continuously exposed to various toxins in our environment such as chemicals, pesticides and pollution that have negatively impacted the nutritional value of our food and the safety of our water sources. Toxins increase the formation of free radicals, which are unstable molecules that cause inflammation in our body. Furthermore, most of us are not getting the recommended 5 – 9 servings of fruits and vegetables per day, which deprives our body of the necessary nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants and minerals that our body needs to stay in balance. Processed and fast foods, which are devoid of nutrients, have taken the place of many of our whole foods. Consequently, the rate of chronic disease continues to rise.

There is abundant evidence that connects specific nutrient, vitamin or mineral deficiency to specific chronic conditions.
    Vitamin D for example, has been shown to impact more than the skeletal system. There are various extra-skeletal functions that vitamin D is integrally involved in that relate to immune balance and certain cancers. Our current health care system is an illness driven system that fails to recognize the impact that inadequate nutrients, vitamins and minerals has on our current state of health. Optimal health is only possible in the presence of foundational nutrition. Nutritional supplementation is one of the essential components to achieving optimal health.