Anyone recently post cancer trying to loose weight?

Options
I'm ready. I have attempted losing weight at least 3 times in the last year and became frustrated each time. I battled cancer over the last year, lost a lot of weight during chemo and radiation, but then when my appetite did return, it returned with a vengeance. Then I had to have 3 surgeries, so forget exercise.

Well I had my final surgery 7 weeks ago. It was an abdominal surgery requiring 2 incisions and wearing an abdominal binder for 5 weeks. Surgeon has given me the go ahead to start cardio slowly.

I have 35 lbs to loose. Any advice or support can help.

Replies

• bluemaggie
    bluemaggie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No advice, really. Just support. I ate my way through chemo (think vats of vanilla pudding), and put on 35 pounds, too. Before cancer, I was very fit and healthy, worked out at a boxing gym and even sparred on occasion. Now I feel like a big ol' slug. The only thing I know to do is log everything I put into my mouth and make it a commitment to get some form of exercise every day.

What's your exercise plan?
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to .... *hugs*
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Me, me, me! I have Frankenstein "staple" scars on my abdomen, too. It has presented some real challenges to getting back in shape, that's for sure. ((hugs)) I'll send a friend request-- maybe we can give each other a little support and encouragement. :smile:
  • freckledbean
    Options
    SERIOUSLY? You survived cancer and you're worried about your weight? I lost my father to cancer recently and a day never goes by that I wouldn't give up anything in the world to have him back, no matter what he weighed.

Eat plenty of wholesome, nutritious food to keep your body healthy and strong. Once your body is ready for it, and no sooner, find something exercise-related that you love to do and get active. A healthy weight will naturally fall into place.
  • vade43113
    Options
    I lost my father to cancer recently and a day never goes by that I wouldn't give up anything in the world to have him back, no matter what he weighed.

Replace everything you just said, for mother.
  • Zombierawr
    Zombierawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    SERIOUSLY? You survived cancer and you're worried about your weight? I lost my father to cancer recently and a day never goes by that I wouldn't give up anything in the world to have him back, no matter what he weighed.

Eat plenty of wholesome, nutritious food to keep your body healthy and strong. Once your body is ready for it, and no sooner, find something exercise-related that you love to do and get active. A healthy weight will naturally fall into place.

It doesn't really seem like the OP feels pressure from friends or family to lose... But I am incredibly sorry for your loss. I haven't had cancer, but I do have a rare autoimmune disease that didn't have any meds available about 25 years ago. My family was just happy that I was alive and not dying in 6 months, but it was a wake up call that I wanted to do whatever I could to live life to the fullest. So once I got off steroids, I started exercising and getting into shape.

My advice is to take it slow and do something you love doing exercise wise, as opposed to just workin ou for the sake of working out. Try everything healthy and figure out what you like too! And congratulations on your battle. :)
  • freckledbean
    Options
    I wasn't implying that anyone would pressure her to lose, actually just the opposite. It's just that I personally don't think losing weight should be top priority at this point in her life
  • vade43113
    Options
    Any advice or support can help.

My only advise is ask your doctor, depending on the cancer type. It may stop you from doing somethings. Take it ultra slow (Your body is healing, exercising causes damage... you don't want your energies going to your muscles when it is needed else where), eat right, and do what you can.

I will be here to offer support, I don't know how much help I can be. Though, I am willing to do everything in my power to help you. Even if it is just saying .... YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • bluemaggie
    bluemaggie Posts: 4 Member
    Options

It doesn't really seem like the OP feels pressure from friends or family to lose... But I am incredibly sorry for your loss. I haven't had cancer, but I do have a rare autoimmune disease that didn't have any meds available about 25 years ago. My family was just happy that I was alive and not dying in 6 months, but it was a wake up call that I wanted to do whatever I could to live life to the fullest. So once I got off steroids, I started exercising and getting into shape.

My advice is to take it slow and do something you love doing exercise wise, as opposed to just workin ou for the sake of working out. Try everything healthy and figure out what you like too! And congratulations on your battle. :)
    I'll speak for myself, here. While I can tell you that my family is thrilled, that I beat cancer, I know I won't feel like myself until I get the weight off. I don't want to just live a good life. I want a great life, and healthy diet and exercise to get back to my ideal weight is part of that.
  • vade43113
    Options
    Can I ask, what type of cancer are we dealing with?
  • scoutit
    scoutit Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi Eagin. I'm a bc survivor. I've lost 43 pounds since dx, 13 of them here on MFP. I strongly urge you to pick up "anticancer: a new way of life" by Servan Schreiber MD, PhD, who talks about diet and health for cancer survivors. I would also suggest that you watch the documentary "Forks over Knives" which is available for streaming on Netflix if you use that service. They talk a lot about links between diet and cancer as well.

If you are fighting recurrence like we are there are some concerns about foods that others on the boards don't have...for example, we should avoid sugar and refined flours-high glycemic index foods that spike our insulin and help to "feed" tumor growth.

Weight loss is important for certain types of survivors. For example, breast cancer survivors should lose weight to reduce the amount of estrogen produced in the body, another tumor feed. As one poster mentioned, it is especially important for you to be kind to your body, and patient and do this in the healthiest way possible.

Good luck to you, and hugs for all you've been through.
  • longbird
    longbird Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I put on a stone last year after an eight week course of chemoradiotherapy for cervical cancer left me exhausted and unable to exercise or eat properly for months. See my profile for more details. When my energy levels started to improve in January I joined MFP, got back on the Wii Fit and am now a little lighter than I was at diagnosis. It feels fantastic and it's such a positive way to take back control over my body.

On exercise, I'll second Zombierawr's advice: take it slow and steady, listen hard to your body and stop way before you need to. I got really disheartened earlier this week when I tried going back to Curves for the first time since June 2011, and couldn't make it through the circuit. On reflection, I realise I tried too soon, so will be suspending my membership for a couple more months and continuing to gradually build myself up through lighter exercise, like walking and Wii Fit.

As for food, make full use of MFP! Be honest and thorough, record EVERY calorie and EVERY minute of exercise. Eat your exercise calories. Have cheat days whenever you like and don't worry about going a little over on other days. Take it slow.

Best wishes to you Eaginocchio, and best of luck xxx
  • peprmintpt
    peprmintpt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Iam 5 yrs post cancer and a few months post hysterectomy as a preventative cancer measure. When I was about a year post cancer, for exercise I walked trails at the park. Now after my recent surgery I started to watch my sodium intake n felt the stomach muscles toning just from eating more fruits and vegis. U can lose weight at whatever pace feels good to you. Don't overwork yourself and don't feel bad about yourself if you can't finish an exercise right away. Your best bet is to first start watchn your foods, weather sugar, sodium or calories, you will see a difference with that alone.
    Also from one survivor to another, keep pressing on thru it all. Know that u are still a normal person concerned about ur health and body who just happened to have cancer. And unlike some prior post, u are allowed to worry about whatever the h**l you want to, ur still a person, not the girl with cancer, and after fighting cancer, uve earned that right.