2»

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I have Salter scales.

These ones:
    image2_934_detail.jpg

They're great. I've been using them for a year and a half and they're always reliable.

They do have a glitch, but they get over it quickly. Most days, they'll weigh about 4lbs heavy on the first go. Then, I set them again and they flash and come up with an error. On the third go, I always get my accurate weight. Not sure what goes wrong the first two times, but I'm happy to stand and re-set a few times for my accurate weight when it seems to many people don't have scales that are accurate at all!
  • Dch2012
    Dch2012 Posts: 19
    Options
    All scales have a certain amount of error. Precision is the ability to reproduce the same result over and over, and accuracy is how close the value is to the true weight of the object. here is some info you may find useful

You can get a fairly good idea of its precision by stepping on and off of it several times , and looking at the variation between measurements. If the measured weight varies between 149 and 151 pounds, for example, the precision is about one pound. The accuracy cannot be any better than this, but it can certainly be worse, particularly if the scale has not been calibrated recently. If the scale is linear, a plot of the actual weight vs. the weight as measured by the scale (the calibration curve) will be a straight line, and can be determined by establishing two calibration points. For convenience, the first reference weight is usually zero, though it need not be.

The first step in calibrating the scale, therefore, is to adjust the scale to read zero when there is nothing on it. The second step is to see what it reads with a known weight on it. This second calibration point should be as far from the first as feasible, to establish an accurate calibration curve. This known weight could be obtained by weighing yourself on a scale known to be highly accurate (in a doctor's office, for example), and then immediately weighing yourself on the bathroom scale. Suppose that the true weight is known to be 160 pounds, and the scale reading averages 150 pounds. Some instruments have a range adjustment to correct this error, but bathroom scales generally don't. Instead, you would note that the true weight is 6.7% higher than what the scale reads, and the calibration would be complete. If the scale read 75 pounds, you'd know that the true weight was 80 pounds, and so forth.

If the scale was not linear, you would have to use many different calibration weights to produce a well-defined calibration curve. Not surprisingly, engineers use linear measurement equipment whenever possible. Even if the scale were somewhat nonlinear, you could still get good accuracy in the region of your weight with only two calibration points. For example, if you weigh 160 pounds, you could calibrate the scale at 155 and 165 pounds, and be reasonably certain that the slope of the calibration curve would not change significantly over a 10 lb. interval. Far outside that interval, though, the scale could be quite inaccurate.

This info taken from https://courses.cit.cornell.edu/virtual_lab/LabZero/Minimizing_Systematic_Error.shtml
  • hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I can highly highly recommend the EatSmart scale... I was going crazy too with scales that gave wildly inaccurate weights, it's so discouraging. I've had this scale for over a year though and it's never bounced around and given me different weights, it's always accurate... if I step on with a 1 pound handweight, it shows the weight +1. If I stand on with a 5 pound weight it shows 5 pounds more. There's no tricking it! 5500 reviews on Amazon too!

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B001KXZ808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335100194&sr=8-1
  • bhaktinstella
    bhaktinstella Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Know what's cheaper and won't lie to you? ;D Measuring tape. I'd invest in one (like 2.00 from a local craft store if that) as a back-up to the scale.

You can sometimes not lose any lbs, but lose inches. :)

Have a great evening !

i keep a measuring tape hanging on the towel rack - it not only shows my progress once a week, but it is a daily motivator just to see it every morning! i have stuck around 148 now for 4 weeks, but i have lost inches in that same time and my clothes fit better!!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Weight does vary but idk bout that much. Ive had the same weight watchers one for evs!! It works well. Is anyone playing with it, like kids or something? Could be off in that sense. Can u callibrate it?
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I have a cheapo dial scale and it seems pretty consistant.

Also if youre measuring at different times of day youll get vasty different readings due to water, food etc.

A liter of water weighs a lot. I think 1.5 pounds not sure. I drink at least 2 a day so thats around 3 pounds gained.

I weigh myself ONLY in the morning after I pee and I wear only my underwear. Sometimes I weigh myself later in the day compulsively but I know that number isn't right.

TLDR: get a measuring tape lol. same rules apply though: only in the morning after youve urinated.
  • amibeachcomber
    Options
    I have had the Weight Watchers digital scale for a few years now and it is dead on accurate. Do you have the scale on a hard, flat, even surface? New battery? I like this scale because it gives me body fat%, and keeps track of my last weight, etc. Good luck.
  • nono1951
    nono1951 Posts: 2
    Options
    I totally agree!LOL!:laugh:
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Weight does vary but idk bout that much. Ive had the same weight watchers one for evs!! It works well. Is anyone playing with it, like kids or something? Could be off in that sense. Can u callibrate it?

Can't calibrate it. But, I moved it downstairs. I think it's more level. Started weighing something else before I get on it to clear the memory. Seems to have helped!