wwhy to people on the Biggest Loser lose weight so fast?

Options
why to people on the Biggest Loser lose weight so fast? I'm really speaking of the contestants on the lower end of the scale... not the people in the 3-4oo's. The ones in the 220-250's ...how in the world in 16 weeks are they making goal???

Replies

• jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Because the show has them working out all day long and has very tight control over their diet.
  • BBBBennyandtheJets
    Options
    I think they workout for 6 hours a day and have meals cooked and prepared for em.
  • carly_pear
    carly_pear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think they workout for 6 hours a day and have meals cooked and prepared for em.

This
  • hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've read that their "weeks' aren't really weeks either. Sometimes 2-3 weeks between weigh ins.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I think their net calories probably come out in the negatives. Anyone eating that low of calories will lose weight pretty quickly.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    That and they are very obese. When you are very obese, the initial weight flies off of you.
  • katoato
    katoato Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    They are working out for many hours a day, as Ziggy pointed out, and it has been estimated that their calories fall in between 1000-1200 calories a day. According to this link, some people after the show developed eating disorders:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/313738-how-many-calories-do-the-biggest-losers-eat-a-day/

I think that show is wonderful to get America thinking about healthy lifestyles, but the changes that are made in these contestants lives are NOT sustainable or healthy over the long run. Do I care about losing weight? Yes. Am I going to starve myself and work out 6 hours a day to do it? No. Because I know that I couldn't keep that up over the long haul. :) I'm going to continue focusing on measuring my calories, working out, and coming in a couple hundred calories under my BMR every day. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    It's their full time job to eat what they're told to eat and exercise constantly.

Plus, I'm pretty sure their "weeks" have more than 7 days in them.
  • TeresaBakes
    Options
    They workout like crazy, and they are taught nutrition information by top nutrionist plus thy have their progress monitored by doctors. And we can't forget the excellent trainers and zero distractions!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    That and they are very obese. When you are very obese, the initial weight flies off of you.

this is true. I dropped 30 lbs. in my first week. mostly water weight however I quit soda pop cold turkey so in my case is was soda pop weight.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Not just the very obese. Last week the one who was 167 pounds lost 15 pounds from one weigh-in to the next.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    They workout like crazy

This ^

, and they are taught nutrition information by top nutrionist

^ But not this actually, at least in terms of the quality of information.

Basically, they do stupid amounts of work (and yes, it's stupid) and eat ridiculous calorie intakes.

In short, it's not a realistic representation of what anyone should attempt, or expect.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    have meals cooked and prepared for em.

ooh didn't know about this. tbl in australia at least, every team has their own kitchen, they cook and prepare their own food. sure they've been shown what to eat but haha, some of them eat not so good stuff!
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Because the show has them working out all day long and has very tight control over their diet.

Reality must be a b*tch when they come home...I mean who has time to work out 6 hrs a day, work a job and you can only hope they are having healthy meals when they have to prepare them themselves..:ohwell:
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    I guess it doesn't shock me that their are certain dr.s on the show that agree to in insane caloric intake.
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    Not just the very obese. Last week the one who was 167 pounds lost 15 pounds from one weigh-in to the next.

I'm not sure on this, but I have a feeling that last week was more than a week for them with the legal battle and people walking off of the show. Perhaps she lost this in 2 weeks?
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

I've never watched this show, but gah tht's a lot! I wouldn't wanna lose that fast. I dont wanna have extra skin.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    even two weeks is a crazy amount of weight..so close to goal and all
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I live near one of the past contestants. He shared with me that toward the end of the show they were working out for hours on end and eating 800 or so calories. I suspect this is why so many of them re-gain their weight post show.
  • hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of them do gain a lot of weight back when they go back into the "real world" and can't exercise 6 hours a day anymore.

I remember reading an interview with a Biggest Loser contestant and it seemed pretty horrible on the set. Eating disorder horrible. Lots of diuretics before weigh ins. They also talked about the Subway commercials they did at the time where Bob would take them to Subway and talk about how healthy it was... then right after the cameras stopped rolling Bob would have them spit out their food because they weren't allowed to eat it. So in a way, what you see on TV is not what is happening.