Anyone else work with animals?

Options
I'm just curious if anyone else around this place works with animals. If so what kind? Are thy wild or domestic. What kind of stuff do you do?

I work at a Bird of Prey rehabilitation center as the assistant rehabilitator.
I work in the ICU with the wild and injured birds. I also work with our education birds and do small group bird programs and large group meet and greets where people can meet the animals.
I spend most the day on my feet and running around. It's a stressful and sad job but has a lot of fun parts and is extremely rewarding.

Replies

• mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    i worked 2 and half years on an alpaca farm love it to death
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    I'd love to work with animals but I don't at the moment. I used to volunteer at the zoo which was great - trained giraffes and porcupines and hand-fed wee serval kittens and cuddled cheetahs (they had been hand-raised and were pretty friendly!). Loved it.

Now I've only got two cats at home, one of whom needs to join MFP. He steals baking. In the last month alone there's been a date scone, a cheese scone, and today a bread product of some description but he had eaten most of it, I couldn't identify it. No idea where he's getting them from, but I suspect the elderly neighbours next door are wondering where their morning teas are going!
  • marzinator13
    marzinator13 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I volunteer at a wildlife rehabilitation center -- just a few things we have
    eagles
    hawks
    deer
    coyotees
    pelacan
    squirrels
    foxes
    swan
    geese
    mink
  • caitlinlws
    caitlinlws Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I do!

I work at a pretty large barn as a horse trainer...I certainly get a lot of exercise at work!
  • kellyo15
    kellyo15 Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm a vet student! A week away from finishing up my first year. Technically I don't yet "work" with animals but have spent a lot of time volunteering at a wildlife rehabilitation center, shadowing in small animal clinics and doing volunteer work with sheep and cows :)
  • susanloveszumba
    Options
    i am a receptionist at a small animal hospital.
  • tobafa
    tobafa Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I work with animals every day. Look at my "About Me" area ha ha! If we could afford to have more, I'd like to have buffalo, camels and few other things that could potentially kill me. :laugh:
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Yep. I am a veterinary parasitologist. I make the world a less itchy and bitey place for pets and livestock. :smile:

I can't imagine a better career for myself.
  • ashleighk90
    ashleighk90 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I work with dogs at a cage-free dog daycare. Supervise 25-35 dogs at a time and make sure everyone is safe and happy. I absolutely LOVE my job. =] Also farm animals are part of my daily life. Held a newborn goat yesterday.

Not sure where life will take me but I will always want to work with animals, (love all but specifically dogs,) hopefully in a rescue capacity. This is a really cool thread. I love hearing what other jobs with animals are out there.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Sue, you make the world a better place for their owners, too. You know how allergic I am to fleas! :laugh:

Former vet tech. Loved the work. Hated my boss.

Wildlife rehab sounds amazing. :heart:
  • CallieRettig
    Options
    I'm an RVT and just celebrated 5 years of employment at my hospital. We are a 3 doctor practice and see small animal only and some exotics
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    This is a really cool thread. I love hearing what other jobs with animals are out there.

^ This. Bump!
  • kellyo15
    kellyo15 Posts: 51
    Options
    Yep. I am a veterinary parasitologist. I make the world a less itchy and bitey place for pets and livestock. :smile:

I can't imagine a better career for myself.

This is awesome!! The 3 veterinary parasitologists that we've had teaching us have been some of the coolest, most interesting people we've met during school so far! They tend to give the best lectures too, even if I can't help but itch uncontrollably the whole time! From my experience so far, it seems to take a certain (awesome) type of personality. :)
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    My dream job is to work with animals but currently working in academia. Moving on to something new (who knows what) come October though! Maybe I'll get into animal work - not sure how except starting with volunteering. Any tips anyone?! (I'm in UK)
  • SarahE1092
    Options
    I love finding other animal lovers that work in the field!
    I am a licensed veterinary technician and have been at my practice for 2 years now. I work at a animal dentist. Yes, all we do is teeth and mouth stuff. I love it, and couldnt think of anything else I would rather be doing. I guess its the satisfaction of helping animals in need when they cant eat or have broken and ouchie teeth!

Feel free to add me!!
  • Argent78
    Argent78 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm a wildlife conservation biologist. I'm currently doing my PhD in Wildlife ecology and management, and my job is in Argentina as a researcher in this area. My research currently is as an ornithologist, studying birds in agricultural landscapes. I do wild bird captures, etc.. :)
  • MarinaPacheco
    MarinaPacheco Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My dream job is to work with animals but currently working in academia. Moving on to something new (who knows what) come October though! Maybe I'll get into animal work - not sure how except starting with volunteering. Any tips anyone?! (I'm in UK)

I run The Mammal Society in the UK, mostly I just talk about animals these days, but I got to hold a pygmy shrew last week which was very exciting.

If you want to work in conservation the best way in is still volunteering I'm afraid, but you can do it part time with a paying job to cover the bills the rest of the time and the experience is invaluable.
  • SarahE1092
    Options
    I'm a wildlife conservation biologist. I'm currently doing my PhD in Wildlife ecology and management, and my job is in Argentina as a researcher in this area. My research currently is as an ornithologist, studying birds in agricultural landscapes. I do wild bird captures, etc.. :)

That sounds awesome! Birds really fascinate me, but I have never worked with them. Cool job!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Not at the moment, but I was an animal activist for a while (and still am at heart). I also done a lot of volunteering at shelters and just generally researched a lot of animal related stuff.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I work with dogs at a cage-free dog daycare. Supervise 25-35 dogs at a time and make sure everyone is safe and happy. I absolutely LOVE my job. =]

Omg, that sounds like heaven. Lucky dogs and lucky you! It makes me happy that some dogs get to go to daycare :-)