heart pain/indigestion - anyone feel the same?

Options
I've started c25k and sorting out my diet within the last month.

I haven't drastically cut anything out, am aiming for a 1lb a week loss so that it is sustainable.

I am having pain around my heart, feels like a squeeze, comes and goes, worse in the morning and not affected by exercise. To be honest, I hadn't really paid it much attention until it woke me up yesterday morning and it was sore enough to make me catch my breath. No shortness of breath, no arm pain.

I saw my GP, my BP and HR are slightly elevated (no wonder, I t hought I was having a heart attack) but otherwise fine.

She thinks it's indigestion - that the change of diet has led to increased stomach acid which is giving the pain.

She prescribed omeprazole, I've taken two and I don't feel any better yet.

Has anyone experienced the same thing, or am I completely neurotic?

I'm nearly 40, 4 stones overweight, strong history of heart disease in my family (that's why I'm on here!)
TIA

TIA

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    No and if it's not working I would go back to your doctor. That's a worrying symptom.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You're having chest pain and a history of heart disease and your doctor didn't do an ECG or blood work? I think it's time for a 2nd opinion........

Sorry if I seem to be overreacting but I had a friend drop dead from "indigestion" a few years ago. No shortness of breath, no tingling in the left arm..........
  • emaggied
    emaggied Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking...

It's still there, I went for a slow walk today and had it worse after that. It's settled again now.

I did phone my GP to say "I'm still getting these symptoms and am getting worried by it" She was reassuring, saying because it's not associated with exercise it's unlikely to be cardiac in origin.

Which is a fair point. But, if it's still there tomorrow I might just take myself down to the out of hours, would be much happier if I'd had a wee ECG and blood test taken.

Thanks for your responses - am glad that I'm not being unreasonably neurotic!

Sorry to hear about your friend, Brian.
  • anna5
    anna5 Posts: 24
    Options
    We all have weird pains at times. I would def keep an eye on it and go back to the Dr if it doesnt go away. I have had pain in my back and chest a few times, went to the Chiropractor and found that my neck and back were out. Got fixed up and no more pain!
    You are right to be concerned about it. =-)
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    As a cardiac arrest survivor, I urge you strongly to get to the hospital now. Don't wait till tomorrow. Too many people die because they ignore the symptoms. And a squeezing pain in the chest is a warning sign.
  • kerriberry74
    kerriberry74 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had that variety of pain for years- acid reflux- that squeezing in the middle of my chest. I took the omneprozole and it sort of helped, but it also took a while before it started to work. The last time I had really issues with the pain (in pain for a few weeks straight & at the point that the only thing I could keep down was toast), I ended up having gall stones. I haven't had the pain since my gall bladder was removed 2 years ago.

Just throwing that out as another possibility. If it is a digestive issue, one thing that helped me out was curling up with a heating pad on my chest for a bit before I went to sleep. No guarantee it would work for you, but it doesn't hurt to give it a try. Hope everything comes out ok...
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Any pain in the chest should be checked out immediately. Dont you have walk in Emergency hospitals where you are?

I'm thinking you need to get the ECG asap! :flowerforyou:

Once that is clear, you can relax. The anti acid you were given does take a few days to work. I was given some as I had inflammation of the stomach lining recently, but it didnt feel like a squeeze round my heart, it felt like a pain in my stomach, through to my back and shoulders.
  • emaggied
    Options
    You are all very kind, am really glad I posted.

It was worse this morning - and eased a bit after I took the omeprazole.

I haven't had any other symptoms, but I am listening carefully to your advice. If it comes back today I'm going to the minor injuries unit.

It's just not a pattern that fits exactly with indigestion. would be bloody typical if I land up finally doing something about my weight and fitness and knacker my heart as a result!

Sheesh.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I had something a lot like that. Turned out I needed my gall bladder removed. But have a complete work up on your heart before anything else!
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    A Stress Test would be very appropriate. Particularly with your family history.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Heart attacks and heart disease are the number one killer of women............I am glad you are going back to the dr and hospital

please dont play around with self diagnosing yourself........talk to another dr, but please do it,...........Lloyd
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I had something similar and went to my doc who did run the EKG (or whatever it is) and all was well. I had elevated BP from having preeclampsia. He prescribed omeprazole which didn't help at all. After a follow-up, he determined it must be costcondritis (where the muscles of your chest are sore/pulled/somehow injured). He said if you could push on that area and feel the same pain, then it was likely muscle pain. I could and since then it's gone away. Can you replicate the pain by pushing on the area?
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I saw my GP, my BP and HR are slightly elevated (no wonder, I t hought I was having a heart attack) but otherwise fine.

She thinks it's indigestion - that the change of diet has led to increased stomach acid which is giving the pain.

She prescribed omeprazole, I've taken two and I don't feel any better yet.

Has anyone experienced the same thing, or am I completely neurotic?

I'm nearly 40, 4 stones overweight, strong history of heart disease in my family (that's why I'm on here!)
    TIA

TIA

Go back to the prescribing physician that ordered the omeprazole... talk with a triage nurse there. You need to hold the discussion with the medical professionals who just saw you.. not here on a non-medical website
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    oh man! get yourself to the ER stat!
  • emaggied
    Options
    Well, it's gone.

I got into a flap when it came back and went to have ECG etc - all fine. To be honest, I am confused as to why my GP didn't do an ECG just to reassure me, it's been a worrying few days.

Anyhoo, she said it'd take a few days for the omeprazole to work, and it now has.

Still, it's been a motivating experience. Nothing quite like thinking you are about to have a cardiac arrest to encourage you to put on the trainers...

thanks for the advice, guys. I really did htink I was being a fussy fuss making neurotic loon. Won't do it again!
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I had chronic indegestion and heartburn and since changing my diet and watching my calories, mine is all gone! I haven't taken a tums, a Zantac, anything since starting here on MFP. Before, my diet consisted of high fat (greasy) food. So all of this health food is really helping.