Your first race...What made you do it?

Options
I was thinking back to my first race (a 5k) and remembering what made me decide to do it...and I was wondering about other people's motivation for racing. Here is mine...

Two years ago this May a group of coworkers and myself decided to take part in our local Komen Race for the Cure. We signed up to do the 1 mile walk, thinking it would be fun to get out and do it. At the time I was a pack a day smoker, hadn't run at all, and certainly hadn't raced. The big day comes and there are THOUSANDS of people. I was in complete awe. It was literally a sea of humans. Completely insane and completely moving. After the runners head out - we were so far back that we couldn't see them, the walkers started. As we are walking I am looking around at all the people walking, all the people on the sides of the street holding signs, all of the encouraging words painted on the asphalt as I walk. Then I came upon Thunder Alley. Many motorcycles lined up with the bikers all decked out in pink, wearing shirts that say things like "Tough Enough to Care." I could not hold it in any more, they were revving their bikes and high fiving us all. At one intersection you could see the runners at the next block. THOUSANDS of people running for this cause. To show they care. I have never been so moved in my life. I decided that day that the next Columbus Komen Race for the Cure - I was going to RUN! Last year as a non-smoker I ran in honor of my husband's grandmother who passed away from breast cancer. It was such an incredible and humbling experience. While my first race was actually a week before - that is the entire reason that I got into running. I am definitely not the fastest or the most graceful. But crossing that finish line, whether it is a 5k, a Quarter Marathon, or a crazy Warrior Dash is one of the most incredible feelings ever.

Thank you for sharing my story...I would love to know yours.

Replies

• LanderRose81
    LanderRose81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Anyone want to share? :smile:
  • LanderRose81
    Options
    Anyone? ROFL
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I've signed up for a 5k in July, a half marathon in Sept and I'm considering as I write this whether to sign up for a 10k in June...I have yet to do one but I like having goals and things to strive for AND nothing beats the feeling of accomplishment!!! :)
  • jpfrimmer
    jpfrimmer Posts: 134
    Options
    I just did my first race last week, it was a 5K. I started getting serious about running 2 or 3 months ago because the 5K was a fundraiser for the school district I teach for. I really wanted to run it this year...before I had always walked it. I ran it in 27:07 (PR for me) and I got 4th in my age group. I had so much fun and it gave me the confidence to keep running. You bet I will be signing up for more races! I would really like to do a warrior dash or color run, they look so fun! I would also like to eventually run a half marathon, but that will probably be much further in the future :)
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    Wow! What a great story! I did my first 5k just last week. I had never been a runner but have always been so envious of people who ran. To me, they looked so.... free. That's the best way I can put it. So about a year and a half ago I started my running. I could only run/jog for about 20 feet. But I kept at it and was able to run the majority of the 5k. I love it and have signed up for a 7k this coming July.
  • LanderRose81
    Options
    What great stories! Thanks for sharing them. I love the feeling during a race - knowing that no matter the "why" of race for each individual - everyone cheers everyone else one. I've met some great people during my races.

Nicholettebell - Good luck with your 7k! Let me know how it goes.

jpfrimmer - I agree, the Color Run looks super fun. The Warrior Dash is a blast! I am doing it again this June. I am also aiming for a half marathon - I am hooked now. Still a slow runner - best finish for a 5k 39 minutes, but I love it!!!

TKHappy - The feeling of accomplishment when you cross the finish is the BEST feeling in the world! I did a Quarter Marathon last year (almost same distance as a 10k) and thought I was crazy, but it was amazing! Good luck - let me know if you sign up for one!!!
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    A Drill Sergeant haha
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    My first 5K was maybe 10 years ago? I loved seeing so many people turn out for a good cause and there were quite a lot of walkers, many pushing baby strollers. But I can't say I really enjoyed it. I have cerebral palsy and I walk with a noticeable limp. I knew I'd be slow, but I didn't appreciate how slow I'd be. I was the last to cross the finish line.

After that experience, a friend convinced me to train for a half marathon. I completed the Marathon of the Palm Beaches half in 2004. There was a moment at about the 8 mile mark that I knew I was going to finish. I was going to have a marathon medal draped around my neck. Me...someone who doctors thought might never walk had just walked 13.1 miles. Second only to the birth of my daughter, that day was the happiest day of my life.

Since then, I've completed 9 half marathons and will do my 10th in 2 weeks. I love the half...to me it's far more about endurance than it is speed. Whether you run, walk, crawl, or something in-between, 13.1 miles is a long distance.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Peer pressure. Then I became an addict. 5k was my gateway drug.
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ran my first 5K when I was 27...loved it, worked my way up to half marathon. Then life got in the way - divorce, new marriage, relocations, jobs, kids schedules. Finally got back into it. Just ran my third race of the year - a 5K this morning. Have brought my split times down from 10:20 to 9:20 over the past two months.

Several more 5Ks planned and a warrior dash in May. My goal is to work up to the Tough Mudder in September.

My 10 year old runs races with me. It is a great bonding experience although he always beats me!
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    What made me do it? I wanted to prove to myself that I could. As simple as that.

I had never been a runner. I always used to say I hated running, but it was simply because I could not do it without feeling like I was going to die or cough a lung.

I did my first 5KM run in October 2011 for "Run for the Cure" in Toronto (ON). It ended up being really cold (6C) and raining, but I was so impressed by the number of people that still showed up and the motivation provided by the improv cheerleaders on the side of the road that it gave me the boost I needed to finish (33.5min). I then did "Race around the Bay -5KM" in Hamilton (ON) in March 2012, which is the oldest race in North-America (yep, even older than the Boston Marathon). I finished in 30min43sec. I was registered for my first 10KM in Toronto today, but I sprained my ankle hiking 2.5weeks ago, so had to cancel (I'm really disappointed, but I have to give it time to heal properly).

I found these races to be an adrenaline rush. People are so nice and supportive and it's always impressive to me to see all ages, sizes, etc participate. The race is never against them, it's against yourself, and that's what has got me hooked.

Oh, if I'm being 100% honest, I also have to say that being single, there are a sea of hot men at these events. :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work graveyard 11pm-7am and weekends too. One Saturday morning I was @ work, browsing the internet, checking FB, trolling....err I mean posting on MFP fourms when I saw FB post from one of my friends about how she invited all her FB friends to go to this 5K but everyone backed out and was sad. For some reason I never got an invite. I checked it out and saw it was at 9am that very same morning. I figured meh why not? Got off work, drove to the 5K, took a 20 min nap, registered and off I went! My goal was to complete it in under 1 hr and I did!

Oh yah months later I asked my FB friend where she was. She didnt believe me that I went. I showed her the pic. Yah she didnt even go herself either. :grumble:
  • Pelican71
    Pelican71 Posts: 16
    Options
    Ran my first 5k last month and did it because I wanted to complete something meaningful. I ran through the rain, which shocked my husband by the way, this girl usually does not like to get her hair wet :) Took me 40 min. but I did it. Last Saturday I ran in the Diversity Dash (Color Run) at our local university. Improved on my time by 2 min. and conquered a couple of hills. I'm not the best runner but I always say I'm not trying to win just to start and finish. I'm very proud of myself.
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I completed the Couch to 5K program a few weeks ago. In the beginning I just wanted to incorporate some kind added type cardio that did not include using the machines at the gym. I never thought I would WANT to run since I am so overweight, but something about running acts as a "cure" to stress for me.
    I ran my first 5K yesterday & finished in 35.27. I have signed up for 2 more 5K's and the Warrior Dash race next month :)
  • LanderRose81
    Options
    I LOVE hearing all of your stories - thank you so much for sharing!