Help.......

Options
It doesn't make sense to me but I have to ask so that I understand this correctly. I rollerbladed and burned 1000 calories. My daily goal of eating is 1600. My food tracker added those calories I burned and said that I earned an extra 1000 calories for today....ummm, shouldn't I still eat only 1600 and not 2600?? I'm confused. Any help would be great! Thank you so much:-)

Replies

• Benson19
    Benson19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you should make sure you consume your 1600. If your use to eating 1600 trying to eat 2600 will seem weird. I think you have definitely earned yourself a treat but don't over do it. It isn't only about watching your calories it should be about making better choices of what goes in your body. Chocolate milk or Gatorade is great for after cardio recovery, so you won't feel as sore.

1000 calories is a really good burn so congrats on that.
  • skye2475
    skye2475 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you so much. So in all when I exercise I am supposed to consume those calories back.....
  • HelloKittyMamacita
    Options
    I would stick with how you feel. Are you famished? If so, then yes, consume those additional calories because your body needs them. But if you're not that hungry, don't force it. It is my belief that those calories burned are just estimates. There is no guarantee you burned those 1000 calories, so there is no guarantee you won't be going over your calorie range if you consume all additional 1000. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • Benson19
    Benson19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Consume part of them back. You've earned them. If your goal is 1600 and if you actually reach that and then earn a extra 1000. That means your totally net is 600 for a day. Which is you do that constantly will put you into starvation mode. You want to make sure you are consuming your BMR calories. If you don't know your BMR number. Under the tools tab on this website is a BMR calculator or just google it. That number should always be the minimum amount of calories you eat in a day.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Yep, but if you feel that the burn has been over estimated, don't eat them all back.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would not choose to 'eat' those extra calories as I have noticed that some of the calories given on this site do not tally with the calories given on my pedometer and on my exercise bike...eating all of them may affect your weight loss.
  • wranglerlaura
    Options
    Eat the 1000 calories or close to it. You do not want your body to go into starvation mode. The reason for keeping track of both exercise calories as well as what you consume is because when your body senses a famine, it will start storing fat, your metabolism will go down, and over prolonged periods of time can cause some serious health issues.
    Think of it this way, people who are anorexic not only avoid food, they are also prone to excessive exercise. The calorie deficit is what causes the extreme weight loss as well as the incredibly large amount of health issues (sometimes permanent damage) that are a result of the disease.
    While you add the calories however, it would be wise to make sure they are calories that will provide beneficial vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates and proteins.
    Also, keep in mind, that 1000 calories you burned has another benefit. As your cardio fitness and muscle strength increase, not only does your body run better, but you also burn fat more efficiently.
    It is especially important for women to avoid extreme calorie deficits since our bodies are designed to store fat. So sad but true, but we were designed to be the bearers of children and fat is essential to a successful pregnancy. (Like salt, enough but not too much)
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Eat the exercise calories back. That is the advice you will get from the vast majority of people on this website.

The reason is you need to NET 1600. If you had 1600 calories to eat that day, then burned 1000 off, you'd be left with 600 calories. That's why you eat the 1000, or as close as you can manage, back.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    MFP already creates a deficit for you when you choose your activity level.

MFP is set up so that it already creates a deficit, meaning you will lose weight even if you don't exercise. When you exercise, you further increase that deficit. Think of your exercise calories like fuel. When you workout , you need energy, you need fuel. Food is fuel.