Nutrition Label Surprises the Other Way

Options
neverstray
neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
Once I started weighing all my food, I was surprised at a couple of things. Mainly, how much a serving is? My first WTF experience was with coffee cream. I think a full serving is disgusting. I use a half serving. Without weighing it, I typically use right about a half serving, so when I started measuring, I dumped in a serving, it was gross.

Another one is cheese. I can't believe how much a serving of cheese is. It's huge. I normally use a fraction of that. Typically, i buy non-fat shredded cheese. I usually just take a pinch and throw it on whatever. But a Serving is a quarter cup. So, I've tried that, but it's kind of gross. I'm not used to eating that way, and I notice when you over-cheese food, it disguises the flavor of your food and it becomes more about the cheese. That's ok if it is about the cheese, but when it's not, I don't like it.

In some ways, measuring food has caused me to increase my portions, which is weird. I've cut down on meat portions and increased on things like cheese. Well, not really, but kind of.

So, what kinds of foods have you increased because a serving is larger than you thought?

Replies

• CollisionofNova
    Options
    Oh man! My stir fries and salads have GROWN. I mean, I never really worried about the calorie content in them because they're just vegetables. But now that I'm trying to hit a minimum amount of calories, I'm having to eat massive salads and stir fries.
    I know I could add more high calorie foods to it, but I'm not there yet (I'll likely sit there and snack on the high calorie ingredients). So instead I sit and eat for a realllllllly long time. It's kinda funny...I eat more now than I did before!

Squash was a big one. My goodness, that stuff is low calorie. It's ridiculous to think I could eat an entire squash in one sitting and still have calorie room, though I'd probably explode first.

Strawberries!
    Um....lentils?

You know, I had a list of these just the other day. My brain ate it.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Why increase your portions? Who says you have to eat a full serving size? That doesn't makes sense. Eat as much or as little as you want.
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    I really haven't increased anything except some fruits because I realized their calorie to serving-size was low (Strawberries). I have actually DECREASED my serving sizes of most things I eat. I use to pile on A LOT of cheese, now I use .25 of a serving of shredded cheeses instead of the full 1/4 cup. If a full serving size is appropriate for me (things like cereal, salmon, rice) then that's what I have, but I don't just eat a full serving size just because it's a serving. That's silly to me.

ETA: My serving sizes also vary each day. I may feel the need to eat 6oz of salmon one day and only the recommended 4oz on another.. it's just dependent on my needs for that time. But in no way would I eat a recommended serving just because.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I agree with chachadiva150, why do you think you need to eat the serving size? just break it down.
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    I agree with chachadiva150, why do you think you need to eat the serving size? just break it down.

I don't eat more just because I can. I was just surprised that I could eat more of it, that it wasn't as much of a calorie hit as I had previously thought.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    I like to eat... if I eat more I log it, if I eat less, oh well... I have yet to fully plan my entire day of meals... I plan my work day because I have to otherwise I wouldn't have anything to eat all day!!! when I get home I know what's available and I choose from that. If I'm at my mom's (which is almost nightly cause she right next door!) I try to eat clean. unless I have extra cals to eat!!! lol!!!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Why increase your portions? Who says you have to eat a full serving size? That doesn't makes sense. Eat as much or as little as you want.

You don't have to eat more. I'm just saying that it's surprising when a serving is way more than you might expect.