Eyebrow threading bad reaction !!!

Options
newerme15
newerme15 Posts: 128 Member
Ok so I got my eyebrows threaded last monday for the very first time ever. On wednesday, after my nap I woke up and broke out like crazy. I mean I had bumps all over my t-zone area and on top of my eyebrows. Now I love the way she did it, she did such a great job but I don't want to keep breaking out every time I get my eyebrows done. So the questions are: What can I do to get rid of the ones I have now? Second, how can I prevent this ( the bumps) from happening next time?

Thanks

Replies

• MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    not sure, try benadryl to calm down the reaction. same thing always happened to me after eyebrow waxing so now I get them threaded and haven't had a problem with it. wonder why you would break out two days later?
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Can I please ask: what is 'eyebrow threading'? I'm old. lol.
  • newerme15
    Options
    not sure, try benadryl to calm down the reaction. same thing always happened to me after eyebrow waxing so now I get them threaded and haven't had a problem with it. wonder why you would break out two days later?

I have tried neosporin according to google lol. But yea I was wondering about that too, it's crazy.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I would consider asking what material is the thread made of, and if there are chemical preservatives on that thread. You could be having a bonafide reaction.

Lets face it: you pluck a hair follicle out, you basically have an open wound until it heals, so thats why Im thinking it has to do with the thread.

Or - your stylist might not be washing her hands enough in between clients.
  • newerme15
    Options

Lol I didn't know about it either until earlier this year but it's amazing I love it ( minus the reaction). Eyebrow threading is a technique which originated in India, Eyebrow threading can be used to eliminate a unibrow, raise the arch of the eyebrow, or add shape and definition to the brow. Because it removes hair by the follicle, it is a reasonably long lasting hair removal technique as well. Repeat visits after three to four weeks are standard. The technique is also not terribly expensive because it is easy to do quickly and does not require costly chemical ingredients. For women who would like to pursue a more natural beauty regimen, eyebrow threading is a good choice, since it does not use harmful products.
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options

Exactly.....same here
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I've had my eyebrows threaded ONCE and would you believe I'd rather pluck or wax at home? At least with waxing it's over in one fell swoop. With the threading I felt like I was being stung by a bee over and over and over again.

As for the original question, did you moisturize well when you got home? I've found that is the key to reducing irritation/reaction for me.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Geez, I had to do it the hard way. Finally, after about 30 years of plucking, they don't grow back, so I guess that's ONE thing about growing older that's on the plus side. It's been over 10 years since I had to pluck... other than an occasional stray here and there.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Err are you sure it's a reaction and not like...razor bumps?
  • reshapemariah21
    reshapemariah21 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If they put that cream or gel on your brows to "soothe" them, it usually causes you to break out. Next time tell them you don't want cream. That was my problem too. Now I don't break out, I just get red when they're finished because I'm a snow bunny. :laugh:
  • ceejanerun
    Options

Lol I didn't know about it either until earlier this year but it's amazing I love it ( minus the reaction). Eyebrow threading is a technique which originated in India, Eyebrow threading can be used to eliminate a unibrow, raise the arch of the eyebrow, or add shape and definition to the brow. Because it removes hair by the follicle, it is a reasonably long lasting hair removal technique as well. Repeat visits after three to four weeks are standard. The technique is also not terribly expensive because it is easy to do quickly and does not require costly chemical ingredients. For women who would like to pursue a more natural beauty regimen, eyebrow threading is a good choice, since it does not use harmful products.

This is probably a silly question, but wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to just pluck?! LOL
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    My skin is pretty sensitive and I had tried threading once, the lady used a powder afterwards and it made me break out terribly! I wasn't sure if it was because she didn't wash her hands well enough, or if it was the powder she used afterwards (?).

Now I have a lady who uses hard wax, the soft wax causes a mild allergic reaction.

I would call her and let her know that you had a break out, she may have some suggestions on what to do now and what ya'll can do differently next time.
  • Veganbambina
    Veganbambina Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm an Esthetician and I learned threading in school. I have a feeling it's not a "reaction" to anything. People, including myself have the same thing happen all the time with facial hair removal. Waxing would get the same result. What it could be is tiny pimples. Your skin goes into over production of sebum where the hair was removed creating pimples. They'll go away, it will just take a few days. It's A VERY common complaint. Tell the lady about what happened next time you go in. She may have a way to prevent it from happening next time. I was taught to wipe the area after epilation with tend skin or something that is alcohol based. Good luck!
  • La1210
    La1210 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to try threading but I'm too scared. I get mine waxed about every 3 weeks and tweez them myself in between waxings. Think it may be that the brows were not used to the threading . This may sound foolish but I would try it one more time. maybe it was something else. Do you remember if you had an adverse reaction the first time you had them waxed?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    There was a girl in my high school that waxed her eyebrows once and she got tons of little pimple like things. It is just a skin reaction I think and not anything that was done during the procedure.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Happens to me with threading and waxing. I think it's just my skin.
  • newerme15
    Options
    thank u all but any ideas how to get rid of the bumps in the meantime?
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I switched to threading because I'm a wimp and cannot pluck and waxing makes me red/bumpy. I haven't had problems with bumps from threading, but when I had the waxing problems I'd use a little calamine lotion to soothe the skin overnight. You can buy clear calamine now so it'll blend a little better than the colored stuff.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Threading tends to give better results than plucking. I get mine threaded, but my eyebrows are just wack because they don't grow back properly.