Glass of water is what size ?

Options
I been classing it as 250 ml, but the thought occurred to me I just made that up lol. Is there a measure for what a glass equals because I ain't seen it.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've been assuming 8oz, too. I think we're right.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    8 ounces - one cup.
  • wranglerlaura
    Options
    On the food portion of the website it says, " 8 cups of water a day". A cup of water is 8 ounces. That is the standard for most nutrition sites.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    In technical terms a cup is 8 oz; so 64 oz a day.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Where are you seeing anything about a glass? A glass could be any size. The water tracker says they recommend at least 8 cups of water a day. A cup is a standard measurement of 8 ounces, which is about 237 ml. Close enough to 250.

However you may also notice that the tracker itself is merely a picture of a drinking glass with a number on it. It does not actually say it represents a cup. You can use it for any measurement you want.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Where are you seeing anything about a glass? A glass could be any size. The water tracker says they recommend at least 8 cups of water a day. A cup is a standard measurement of 8 ounces, which is about 237 ml. Close enough to 250.

However you may also notice that the tracker itself is merely a picture of a drinking glass with a number on it. It does not actually say it represents a cup. You can use it for any measurement you want.
    How funny. It does say cup. I guess because it's a glass, I'd been thinking it said glass.
  • kimber_av
    kimber_av Posts: 98
    Options
    per my nutritionist friend. DO NOT GO BY THAT ANCIENT RULE!!!!
    Take your body weight in pounds. divide it by 2. thats how many FL OZ of water you should drink a day.
  • bambiemd
    bambiemd Posts: 14
    Options
    Take your body weight in pounds. divide it by 2. thats how many FL OZ of water you should drink a day.
    That's kind of logical. A 120 pounds girl won't need as many glasses of water than a 220 pound women..
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Actually you can just drink when you're thirsty, and if your pee is mostly clear you're good. But if you insist on tracking your water, the tool is there.
  • cassie2467
    cassie2467 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's kind of logical. A 120 pounds girl won't need as many glasses of water than a 220 pound women..

That doesn't make sense. Really, who can drink 110 fluid ounces of water a day, which is what a 220 pould woman would need to do.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I drink twice what they recommend. Any less and I feel dehydrated.
  • hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    A cup is a standard measurement of 8 ounces, which is about 237 ml. Close enough to 250.

This is nitpicky but just to correct, a cup is not a standard unit of measurement, a cup means different things in different countries. In Canada and Australia, a cup is 250ml. In the US, a cup is half a pint. In Japan, a cup is 200ml.

It makes following recipes quite interesting! :)
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    This answer doesn't exactly represent what you asked :-) but I consider a glass as 8 ounces for purposes of entering into MFP. Everyone has an opinion on what you really should drink per day but ultimately you and your doctor are the only ones that can say what is best for your body. I drink when I'm thirsty and some days I'm thirstier than others and haven't had any problems drinking 8 cups per day. I can say that I won't follow what kimber_av said because there is no way I'm not going to drink 137 fl oz (2 gallons) of water every single day. Here's a link to an article by the Mayo Clinic that pretty closely matches the 8X8 rule (8 ounces X 8 per day)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.

Generally if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or light yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate. If you're concerned about your fluid intake or have health issues, check with your doctor or a registered dietitian. He or she can help you determine the amount of water that's right for you.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

i would need 18 .5 cups of water (148 oz) could you imagine those who are even higher weights
    that is over kill .. i drink 60 oz a day plus 12 oz diet dr. pepper .. i couldn't possibly drink more

plus there is such a thing as water intoxication
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options

so you want me to drink 13 glasses a day?? I can barely get to 4/5 :laugh: no chance in hell, unless I cut away every other fluid intake, which I don't see happening....ever.
  • mike_brooks
    Options
    Your right. 1 glass of water is 8 fluid ounces.
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Actually, that does not make sense. Blood volume does not increase linearly with weight.
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Not sure how good this is, but here's calculator http://www.csgnetwork.com/humanh2owater.html
  • silkribbonx
    silkribbonx Posts: 37 Member
    Options

That doesn't make sense. Really, who can drink 110 fluid ounces of water a day, which is what a 220 pould woman would need to do.

It's really not that hard, just use a larger glass.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I just figured it out that I drink about 64 oz of water a day. Half a gallon.