Curves Workout Centers???

Options
I am looking into Curves as a starting point since I have never really worked out before and I know it would be a huge help in my weight loss. I am just curious if anyone has had any success with Curves or any recommendations. I can't really afford a "real" gym membership at this moment.

Any opinions or ideas would be welcomed.

Replies

• hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I think anything as a group is great for starters. I am not sure about curves, the people who I have known to go did not do great, but that may be an individual thing. I would be more inclined to go to a group fitness class to start off with instead. Lets see what others say :)
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I think Curves is nice for women who have serious health issues such as severe heart disease and respiratory failure. But I don't know for younger women. I guess you'll have to try it and see if it works for you. Everyone is different, and you may love it or hate it.

I always say, "Don't knock it til you try it".
  • horndame
    horndame Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi! I did Curves for awhile. It was quite a few years ago, so their program may be different now, but essentially it is a 30 minute circuit. I think it's a good start for someone who hasn't exercised for awhile or may have some limitations, but I don't see it being useful long term. The reason I say that is because I don't remember any of the machines being adjustable. So after you have progressed and gained strength, you can't add weight to the machine to keep moving forward. I have done a lot of weight training in the last year and it has made a huge difference in my appearance. As I lost weight, I noticed that I would return to a smaller size at a higher weight. I was 30 pounds heavier than the last time I was at that size. Building muscle and strength can dramatically affect your body composition but you won't get bulky or anything like that. So I think if you start with Curves, that's great. I'm sure it will be helpful in establishing new routines, meeting new fitness buddies, and getting some support. But long term, you may want to consider a gym membership. I hope this is helpful! And please remember, I went a long time ago. You should drop by for a consultation and see if you like it, since what you think is what will matter most. :smile:
  • suepeta
    suepeta Posts: 42
    Options
    Hi I go to curves 5 times a week, and have done for 4 years. I find it is a quick 30 min workout during my lunch break. The more effort you put in the more resistance there is on the machines. It suits me with additional walking, swimming and the occasional visit to a regular gym. Definitely a good place to start and I find the staff very supportive.
  • JessLiane22
    JessLiane22 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm 23 and I've been doing curves for a couple months. I get a great work out. The owner of this location will let me stay longer than 30 if I feel I need it, but I usually do one circuit - which takes me aprx 35 mins.
    And the machines, (at least here) are all hydraulic. Which means the faster you go, the more resistance it provides. So that provides some room for growth. And i really make sure I get my heart rate up for good cardio, too.
    I say give it a try! I really like it. And ya, I'm probably the youngest one there, but everybody is super sweet and motivating.
  • dvcab
    dvcab Posts: 78
    Options
    Hi i go to contures which is a similar style though they have half cardio exercises and half machines that you build up on the weights, i had never been a gym type person but knew i needed to do something to tone as i lost my weight now im addicted and miss going and now i have guns...lol i also walk now to something else i never thought i would enjoy which has led to some hiking in some beautiful aussie bush. If you cant afford the gym just try walking as a start be committed and head out for an hour a day with some music and enjoy the fresh air. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • sammybear521
    sammybear521 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Jess, Have you seen any results?
  • kimber_av
    kimber_av Posts: 98
    Options
    I had GREAT results when I did curves! I didn't know much about working out at all. and it made it super easy. Just follow the circuit! its a great program. and affordable! i say go for it! just make sure you go at least 3x a week for best results
  • JessLiane22
    JessLiane22 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ya I've seen results. Lost about 16lbs in a month while going there. oh and i lost 9 inches. :D I get alot out of the workouts, but I really put alot into it, too - in both stregth and cardio. It can be pretty fun and the 30 minutes goes by fast. I go right after dropping my daughter off at school and it gets it out of he way and gives me energy to have a productive day.
  • sammybear521
    sammybear521 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thank you for all the feedback, I really appreciate it. :)
  • malocula
    malocula Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey I totally recommend curves!!! Just a disclosure I dont work for curves but I have been a member of curves since 2007. I am a centre director at Jenny Craig, I recommend the curves workout to alot of my clients at the centre because it is a fun and welcoming environment for women who feel self-conscious and dont want to spend alot of time at a gym. there are women of all ages at the one i go to. I lost 70 pounds on jenny craig and I have maintained my loss for around ten years now, with some ups and downs of around ten pounds here and there. So, I have not lost any weight doing the workouts and I dont know anything about their diet program but I do the smart workouts using the smart key and I average around 350-370 cal burned per 30 minute workout. they recommend 3x per week. I go every day during my lunch so that is 5-6 days a week. I also do an hour of cardio before work. I dont think you would lose alot of weight just doing it three times a week, because I think 150 minutes a week of some exercise lowers your risks for alot of health problems down the road, so thats 5 days. It costs me 34 a month, and to join right now its half off so its 75 dollars instead of 150 and I think that promo is for a couple weeks. I love curves alot but its not the only thing I do as I like a lot of variety, and it is so affordable!!! good luck girlfriend and blessings
  • susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    Options
    Hi I go to curves 5 times a week, and have done for 4 years. I find it is a quick 30 min workout during my lunch break. The more effort you put in the more resistance there is on the machines. It suits me with additional walking, swimming and the occasional visit to a regular gym. Definitely a good place to start and I find the staff very supportive.

^^^ THIS^^^^ I have been going for about 4 years now and have had great results, I go about 4 times a week when I have the time although my local one only opens until 7pm which sucks a bit!! I also run and have started doing Jillian Michaels 30DS to mix things up a bit as i think your body gets used to the same routine! I wear my polar heart rate monitor at Curves and I work really hard and do extra streches and floor exercises afterwards and I can burn around 350 calories so it definitely works for me, although as one poster said you can't adjust the machines so it's not great for building muscle!! But I think it will be a great starting point for you and then you can begin to add other things in or switch to a regular gym?! Good luck with your weight loss/fitness journey and feel free to add me im on here every day and always ready to offer support and motivation!!!
    Susie :smile:
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    The owner of the Curves down the road from me is doing a 2 week free trial IF you and a friend sign up for the trial together. I think I also saw a commercial about it on tv too. Maybe your local curves is doing the same type of trial? Call them up and ask and then get a friend to sign up for the trial too. The friend wouldn't have to go if they didn't want to but it would give YOU a 2 week free trial to figure out if Curves is right for you or not without spending the 30ish dollars on it first.

I say, go for it. Try it out since you really have nothing to loose other than the weight you want to anyway lol!
  • stork72
    stork72 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I printed a one week free trial online but didnt really need it. When I went in to take a tour and talk to the owner she set me up for a week without charge to try and see if it is for me. I think they want to get you in there to try it at least 3 times before deciding.
    The one near me also has a Zumba class in addition to the regular circuit workout.