FIRST GYM DAY TOMORROW! HELP?

Options
I start my journey to losing 40 lbs tomorrow! But I'm so lost at the gym. . . I would stay on the treadmill if I could. Any good websites to find workout?

Replies

• editnonnalynn
    editnonnalynn Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Call the gym and ask for a tour or a free session? They'll show you! Wow I am proud of you! Do it!!!!

http://www.netfit.co.uk/training/gymworkouts/index.htm:flowerforyou:
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Call the gym and ask for a tour or a free session? They'll show you! Wow I am proud of you! Do it!!!!

Great idea. Or even just show up and ask someone at the front desk to give you a tour and rundown of the facilities and equipment. Make sure to ask all the questions you can think of. It can be slightly embarrassing to ask, but it will get you familiar with everything and you'll feel comfortable in no time :) Congrats on making the first step!
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The gym can be an intimidating place if you have never ventured there.
    If your wallet can allow it, I'd suggest asking your gym if they have personal trainers and book a session. You can get great benefits from working with a personal trainer, but if you can't afford multiple sessions, you can at least get him/her to introduce you to a few exercises, proper form (you don't want to get hurt and a website won't teach you that) and a routine that you could use based on how many times you plan to go and your goals. They can write this down for you and you can use it as your guide to start.
  • nnelson24
    nnelson24 Posts: 10
    Options
    i would make an appt with a trainer and they will design a workout for you and its usually recorded in a file , then you can go and follow that routine when you go in ! you will know what to do and how to use the machines properly . i was in your shoes 3 yrs ago , good luck to you ! and hang in there!
  • darlenestanley
    darlenestanley Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you have an iphone, to the ipersonal trainer app. It is a great app that will help a lot.
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You don't need personal trainers! They're expensive as hell!

My suggestion for you would be treadmill for 30 minutes, then stretch and maybe do some sit-ups/push-ups. It's very easy to do TOO much on the first time and then almost faint afterwards, so be careful. I'd do intervals if I were you. The treadmill will probably have finished programs already! Then depending on what you want to achieve you should try the different machines. They should have instructions on what to do on them. Take your time. Going to the gym is fun!
  • sfrench79
    sfrench79 Posts: 10
    Options
    I like to do 5 to 10 on bike first to warm up then after weights 10 to 20 on elipacol machine. Its usually easy to do one body part at a time. I do 3 days chest and arms , then abs and legs , and back another day. All gyms i know of will give u a free trainer one time but u have to ask for it. goodluck and if i can help more let me know.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    bodybuilding.com

Don't be scared from the name. On this site you can choose a workout that fits your goals. This site also has tons of information and articles on fitness and nutrition.

I would also check the livestrong website (google search).
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I don't know what it is like where you are but here in the UK you can't join a gym without having an induction. The gym guy/gal shows you how to use each machine and gives you a personal chart of reps and weights so you have something to follow until you get used to the routine. They are usually around the gym so if you need advice you can always ask. Also if you are friendly people will be glad to advise you.

The gym is for all so don't feel intimidated everyone has to start somewhere. You are there to improve your health and so is everyone else. (Well apart from the two barbies who come in for 20 mins and spend it sitting on the weight machines texting LOL) so get stuck in you will be surprised how enjoyable it can be.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Definitely recommend hitting up some classes if they offer any. The time seems to go so much faster in class than on the treadmill or elliptical. :-)

I was intimidated at the thought of working out in front of people but with each passing day I realized people are busy doing their own thing and don't give a hoot about what you're doing correctly (or not so much). Good luck!
  • dadeys1
    dadeys1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Especially the part about asking for a tour. Any good gym would be happy to do that. Also, remember that once you step in that gym, you've already done the hard part...you've made a choice to make a change. DO NOT feel nervous at the gym. You'll see people of all shapes and sizes. And there are a ton of options for workout machines. My wife and I started our journey last fall and have both lost 50lbs. She has some knee issues so likes the recumbant bike (she can even watch TV). I like to mix it up and most of the time do multiple machines...walking/running on an inclined treadmill, elliptical, or arch trainer. I'll warm up on one and then move to another. We always finish up with some upper body (curls, pushups, chess press, etc) and abs (crunches, bicycles, or ab machine. Once we got going, we added some lower body (squats, leg press, rowing machine). We focused on burning some calories (so we could eat them back if I needed to). Remember, there's no remote in life, you have to get up and change it yourself. (Not my quote but I love it). Good luck!!
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    A lot of gyms give a week trial membership and even personal trainer sessions.

I started by getting on the treadmill, the rowing machine (since I used to row) and the bike. Take it easy! Do what's comfortable/within your ability level. Don't overdo!

I have a lot of social anxiety so even going to *get* a membership was a BFD for me. I feel like it was worth it, folks leave me alone during my workout, and now I go 3 days a week.

Good luck!!!
  • OmegaGator
    OmegaGator Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com

Don't be scared from the name. On this site you can choose a workout that fits your goals. This site also has tons of information and articles on fitness and nutrition.

I would also check the livestrong website (google search).

100% right! Just don't kill yourself the first day, ease into the workouts or you wont wanna go back.