Heavy Lifting and Calorie Deficit ?

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
I have been reading in some posts people saying to build muscle/tone that you need to lift heavy and maintain a calorie deficit.

Do people who are lifting and at goal weight still maintain a calorie deficit?

I just started Stronglifts 5x5 and am at goal weight, so focus now is to tone and build muscle

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain muscle and are at a low bodyfat already, you will need to eat a calorie surplus.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    that's tough if you had no previous muscle and are just starting to lift chances are you might build some (with tons of luck) while in a deficit. Maybe if you eat your maintenance you might gain too so see if you get lucky. Otherwise being in a deficit you will start to see some definition.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    You can't build muscle without eating more calories. If your at a deficit, what is your body going to build muscle with?

You have to eat more to build the muscle and then later on you can cut back a little to lose fat that might have been gained as well.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Unless your new to lifting, ie noob gains!
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    I have the same concern :p
  • cghiggins518
    cghiggins518 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I too am very confused on this. I still have some wieght at my mid-section that i want to lose but feel if i dont have a calorie deficit and if i dont do cardio then it wont happen. i lift about 3 times a week and run 3 miles three times a week. hoping to see results down the road.
  • sniperzzzz
    Options
    I have been reading in some posts people saying to build muscle/tone that you need to lift heavy and maintain a calorie deficit.

Do people who are lifting and at goal weight still maintain a calorie deficit?

I just started Stronglifts 5x5 and am at goal weight, so focus now is to tone and build muscle
    No you eat at above maintenance, if you want to gain muscle mass!
    Find out your maintenance and eat 300-500 above.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow...I'd like to know how much of a surplus is needed. Can it be slight, as in 100 per day? Because honestly, I am petrified to eat at a 300 to 500 cal surplus per day! Uggghh, this sucks!
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow...I'd like to know how much of a surplus is needed. Can it be slight, as in 100 per day?

If you are worried about it - start low and add food when you stall on increasing weights...
    Maybe 150.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Do you mean a newbie can gain muscle and lose fat on a deficit? Oh, and who's considered a "newbie?"
  • sniperzzzz
    Options
    Bump to follow...I'd like to know how much of a surplus is needed. Can it be slight, as in 100 per day? Because honestly, I am petrified to eat at a 300 to 500 cal surplus per day! Uggghh, this sucks!

You can eat as much as you like as long as it is above maintenance.
    Depending on how much muscle you want to build, 300-500 is just rule of thumb.
    But 200-300 would be fine too.
  • petreebird
    Options
    Bump to follow...I'd like to know how much of a surplus is needed. Can it be slight, as in 100 per day?

If you are worried about it - start low and add food when you stall on increasing weights...
    Maybe 150.

So that's why my bench press isn't increasing...I've only been eating maintenance or even slightly under each day.
    I think I understand now. I'm going to bump my calories up 150 a day and see how that goes this week.
    Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • petreebird
    Options

You can eat as much as you like as long as it is above maintenance.
    Depending on how much muscle you want to build, 300-500 is just rule of thumb.
    But 200-300 would be fine too.

thanks for the advice!!
  • sniperzzzz
    Options

Do you mean a newbie can gain muscle and lose fat on a deficit? Oh, and who's considered a "newbie?"
    Yes some people who are new to lifting, have gained muscle whilst being a calorie deficit.
  • kandire
    kandire Posts: 87
    Options
    Bump! This is interesting considering I'm getting a PT soon to help me learn to properly lift weights so I'm gonna follow this one.
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    so you MUST eat more calories than you burn in order to build muscle? i apologize if this is a stupid question but i genuinely am confused.
  • helper1112
    helper1112 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am curious and confused on this as well. I still have a lot of fat to burn off. If I am in a deficit won't it burn the fat? I am usually above my maintain but below my workout calories gained, in short I don't eat them all back would this cause me to not gain muscle? Also, what is the difference between building bulk and shredding, I have heard these terms used and was curious?

Thanks...
  • cherrytulips
    Options
    I am curious and confused on this as well. I still have a lot of fat to burn off. If I am in a deficit won't it burn the fat? I am usually above my maintain but below my workout calories gained, in short I don't eat them all back would this cause me to not gain muscle? Also, what is the difference between building bulk and shredding, I have heard these terms used and was curious?

Thanks...
    that's how i feel! i want to burn fat and build muscle too, so eating above mantainence sounds extremely counterintuitive. i am lifting heavy btw. i'm doing "jamie eason's LiveFit 12-week trainer"
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    This article helped me understand it (confused me too at first)
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html