Having a Crappy Day

Options
Let me start by saying that I never had a problem with my weight until about 2 years ago. I was 5'6, 140 lbs with a great hour glass shape. At the time I thought I was fat...man what I wouldn't do to be that 'fat' again...

I never dieted, never exercised, but ran around crazy between work and school. When I graduated college and started working full time in an office, my body changed dramatically. Before I knew it I had ballooned up to 202 lbs. I know this is completely my fault.

Although I've lost 16 lbs in 2 months, I can't help feeling like I shouldn't be in this situation in the first place. How did I let myself get so overweight? How did I not see it, and why didn't anyone else say anything to me? I had the perfect figure and I ruined it with laziness and gluttony.

Every pound I lose is exciting, but I can't help but think it's not that big of a deal. Those pounds shouldn't be on me in the first place.

Just having a bad day I guess, but wish I could be back to where I was NOW, and never put myself into this overweight situation to begin with...

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hindsight is 20/20. It doesn't matter if you SHOULDN'T be in the position that you're in because the fact of the matter is that you ARE. What's done is done. You are not doing yourself any favors by acting like you're accomplishing nothing. Acknowledge the reality of the situation. You need to recognize what you are doing, why you are doing it, and how it makes you feel. Without that, you aren't learning from your mistakes. The more you associate your healthy habits with success and feeling good, the more likely you'll be to maintain them. If you feel guilt and shame, you're doing the opposite.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    80s_workout_cat.jpg

hope this makes you giggle, it works for me
  • Littlerunner0514
    Littlerunner0514 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This kind of thing happens to everyone...I promise. I was a tiny little thing until I got a sit down job and within 3 months I gained 30 pounds! Yup..that happened. Amazingly an office job wears you out in more ways then being a server or something...I think it is b/c of the boredom. Well, anyways, you are here now and you saw your body change and you are now getting healthy again and really that is all that matters!!!! Good luck girl!
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Try not to look backwards.... look forwards. That would be my advice. We all make mistakes and, whilst we're making them, we don't always realise. Mistakes, in the grand scheme of things, don't matter - it's the response to the mistake that determines success or failure. Keep going and keep your eyes on the prize!
  • anderfan
    anderfan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What wonderful answers you've gotten! I know it doesn't make it any easier but isn't it nice to have people that really care :)
    They are all right - don't give up on yourself.
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from! And I am also having a day I'd rather forget.
    My problem with the weight was going to university and eating junk/drinking was faaar to easy. If I had a time machine I'd show myself from 4 years ago a photo of me when I was at my heaviest and say 'Don't have that take away/chocolate bar, you'll turn into this!'
    There's a lot of stuff I wish I could tell my old self so I didn't do stupid things, but alas, without a time machine all I can do is make sure it doesn't happen again and be proud of the fact that I had the willpower and determination to stop it ever happening again.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Jotun -

I see you are (or were) doing P90X. It's a great program, stay with it and you will reach your goals. Yeah, everyone wants it right NOW, but Rome wasn't built in a day - right? If you hit your targets and have a good TDEE calculation you should be shedding about 2 pounds per week, so it appears you are right on track. If you're at 186 now and want 140, it's going to take 4 more months though. Probably not what you wanted to hear (summer will be ending) but this is a commitment ( I call it a commitment to the commitment :-) ) and you will succeed.

The good thing is the scale is moving for you, you haven't hit a plateau which can be very discouraging and reinforce bad habits. Just be sure to recalculate your TDEE every ten pounds, since your daily intake is going to have to be adjusted as you progress....

KPP

Peter
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yes it is hard. My weight started when I was working two jobs and when I got home on a night I had sandwiches and crisps for my supper and the weight just crept on. Even though I knew it was happening it was too late. Now this is it. I have to lose weight but I cant look back to the pass only to the future. I just have to learn from what I did then and move on. We all have crappy days and sometimes it feel like noone understands but its ok to feel like that, but come on we will get there:smile:
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I was underweight and had been underweight for a few years. I had to have blood tests and all my bones were jutting out...Then I suddenly gained over 30lb within 2 months and gained 5 inches on my hips and the same on my waist and went up several dress sizes until I couldnt find clothes anywhere that fitted me...and suddenly had a weight problem!!! Mainly medical reasons and quitting smoking but who cares about the reasons...the only important thing is the here and now, not the past, no regrets. I was once a gorgeous 25 year old with hair down to my butt and a gorgeous figure,but we all change, after feeding three children I have no boobs and stretchmarks from having 3 kids. The important thing is the person inside and what we will become. Good luck, chin up and you can so do this!!!
  • jotun87
    jotun87 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your positive words - sometimes I need a snap back to reality.

Thank goodness for the MFP community and you wonderful people!