weight loss and clothes :/

Options
sitting here looking at all my clothes .
they fit in one laundry basket .
one .

i have one pair of pants ,
that aren`t even jeans ,
they are grey yoga pants

i have a couple shirts that are pretty baggy but i kept them for sleeping and other things .

i feel so bad for losing all this weight
because my dad lent me 100 bucks at the beginning of the year to get new clothes ,
and now i don’t fit them .

and I don’t want to ask him for some more money to get new clothes .

i`m going to become a hermit now .

hello no social life .
hello depression .
hello terrible eating habits . 

Replies

• jfaure23
    jfaure23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    :) I see the problem. I like to buy 'new' clothes at second hand stores. Sometimes it is hard to find, but when I do, they are gems, for huge savings! A pair of pants for under $10, and lots of shirts for about $5.

Good luck... it's a bit of a bad problem mixed with a good one.
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's been an expensive year for me. Rewarding: yes. Killer on my budget: 100%!
    I went from a size 13/14 to a size 4/6 and although I tried to keep the clothes buying to a minimum while on my weight loss journey, I still had to work and suits are expensive!
    I made my sister, mother and 3 of my aunts happy as they ended up sharing everything from jeans, to leather jackets...basically, my entire casual-work-formal wardrobe.

One tip though: on some pieces, I was able to get away with having them tailored to fit my now smaller frame. Often costing only $10-$20, it may be a solution for some items.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    :) I see the problem. I like to buy 'new' clothes at second hand stores. Sometimes it is hard to find, but when I do, they are gems, for huge savings! A pair of pants for under $10, and lots of shirts for about $5.

Good luck... it's a bit of a bad problem mixed with a good one.

^^^This....I do almost ALL my shopping at thrift store. When you can leave with a HUGE bagful of "new to you" clothing in GOOD SHAPE for $25, it's awesome! I buy my hubby's clothes, my son's clothes and my clothes secondhand. No one knows except you, and there is no shame in it!!! It's thrifty and you can find AWESOME styles!
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Why not try converting some of those larger clothes with some alterations? There's a lot of cute stuff you can do even without a sewing machine. Check out some DIY clothing reconstruction sites (Google around a bit, you'll find stuff! Also, there's a forum called "Craftster" which might have a lot of ideas), or find a book that's got some tips.

And if all else fails. don't fall backwards just because you can't wear some of your old clothes. New clothes will come in time, and ultimately a healthy body means more than $100 worth of clothes someone bought you.
  • hsubharas
    hsubharas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I hear ya sister!! While I was losing weight I was too frugal to buy new clothes. I used eBay for some items. I also used Good will. You can find some great deals at most second hand stores. Just give yourself some time to try them on. I still buy lots of items at second hand stores!! Don't become a hermit for good. You have come too far to keep it to yourself!!! :)
  • mici0427
    mici0427 Posts: 54
    Options
    Definitely don't give up!! I understand not having anything to wear but maybe you can find some deals on a couple statement pieces you can wear for awhile? Thrift stores and garage sales are always good too! I even have a friend about my size who lets me borrow a few things if I need to go out. Maybe you can find someone like that? I know it's discouraging but think about how much you've accomplished!!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options

hello no social life .
    hello depression .
    Sorry, but I just don't get it. Are you really saying that you'd rather gain weight (in an unhealthy fashion, no less) so that your clothes fit than be thinner and have your clothes on the baggy side? Why did you want to lose weight in the first place? Surely you had a good reason. It seems like anything that would drive you to successful weight loss would pale in comparison to ill-fitting clothes.

Step back from yourself and try to get a little unbiased perspective. Sometimes we are really bad at thinking rationally about ourselves, even when we can do it for others. What are your real priorities? Are these things really mutually exclusive? Is it really worth getting this worked up over something so trivial?
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    You could always get some type of job to buy some new clothes. Better yet, work in clothing store and buy at the employee discount.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Take some of your large clothes to a clothing bank and see if they will let you trade for smaller sizes I bet they will.
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Perhaps... instead of this post -- you should do a post and ask if anyone has clothing that they are ready to donate, in the size that you need?

More than once, I have had someone from MFP send me the clothes that they had "shrank" out of, which gave me some new clothes in a smaller size without having to buy new ones... I did send money to them for the postage, but wasn't even asked to do that. AND - I have offered clothing to others... as I have shrank out of mine...

Just saying... there are some options, you just have to be creative to find them! And... since you are posting - you know how that works... so just turn it into a positive versus seeing the negative.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Losing weight definitely did a number on the wallet. I must've spent about $600 on a new wardrobe.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Agree with above post. Take your bigger clothes to a consignment shop, they'll give you credit that you can use towards smaller clothes in their shop (or cash). Also, i believe there are threads on here where people are trading/giving away clothes of various sizes, you can also look on craigslist or ask friends in your size if they have any hand me downs. Don't give up because you aren't instantly having a glamorous wardrobe. It will take a little time, but it will definately be worth it.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have so few things that fit well and look good enough to go out in. I have to cinch my belt so tight to just keep my pants on my body that the waist bunches and looks terrible! I still want to lose more so I don't want to buy a new wardrobe quite yet =/

Once the semester is over I plan to bring some of my nicer big things to Buffalo Exchange so hopefully I can get some credit to pick out a few new items.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    the moment something gets too big for me, I stick it on eBay :)
    So far everything has sold, you don't get a ton for it, but it would definitely be enough to replace your clothes with a few second hand pieces!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I love second hand stores! You can get great stuff for very little money. I would be nude without them, because I refuse to spend money on things that are going to be too big in a couple months anyway.

Some places will even let you bring in stuff to trade. Buy/sell stores are great for that.

If you like vintage (I do!!) go to the salvation army store in a really nice neighborhood. I bought a $200 designer skirt yesterday for $10 because someone just got tired of it.

Don't be a hermit =) A little bit of resourcefulness can go a long way.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options

hello no social life .
    hello depression .
    Sorry, but I just don't get it. Are you really saying that you'd rather gain weight (in an unhealthy fashion, no less) so that your clothes fit than be thinner and have your clothes on the baggy side? Why did you want to lose weight in the first place? Surely you had a good reason. It seems like anything that would drive you to successful weight loss would pale in comparison to ill-fitting clothes.

Step back from yourself and try to get a little unbiased perspective. Sometimes we are really bad at thinking rationally about ourselves, even when we can do it for others. What are your real priorities? Are these things really mutually exclusive? Is it really worth getting this worked up over something so trivial?

I agree. Coming from a person that lives on a budget under what someone working minimum wage would get, it's not the end of the world. For one, the clothes don't fit for a good reason. For two, if you did ask for money it would be a good reason not just "oh I'm a young woman who stereotypically needs more clothes because I just do." You lost weight. You need clothes that fit and don't require ducttape to stay on you.

Take a big breath, let it out, punch a pillow, and move on.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    This has happened to me several times, and it sucks but there are ways around it --

Just get clothes for your intermediate weights at thrift stores or very cheap places. Buy them in basic/minimal styles and colors that you like so no one will really be able to remember if you repeat outfits, etc. if that matters. I cut my wardrobe down to black, white, and red (because I like it) and just dress things up with bags, shoes, etc. The nice thing is it makes it easier to get dressed because there's less to think about.

You can also get some friends together and have a swap party with clothes you don't want. I do that sometimes and you get a ton of stuff for free-99.

It's maybe not the most fun way to approach your wardrobe but it's better than shelling out a bunch of money for a new closet full of clothes every 15 pounds.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    All great ideas above, especially the thrift store, I would be broke if I didn't shop second hand!

Another idea which I have done in the past, if you need to come up with extra cash and the clothes that are now too big are good quality, try selling them on ebay or something or have a mini yard sale with some friends. I had a bunch of levis that I sold on ebay for cheap and got a little bit of spending money for 'new to me' jeans without much effort. :flowerforyou:
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    Do you have a Wet Seal where you are? I buy their 5 for $20 shirts all of the time. You can get tanks and cute colored shirts in either a rounded collar or v-neck in a rainbow of colors. You can mix and match and the tanks and shirts look cute under the tops or by themselves. Paired with a cute necklace and shorts or jeans, that is pretty much my outfit year round. I layer a sweater over when it gets cold. They wash extremely well and hold their shape and color. I bet your new body would look amazing in some of these! =)
  • Heidbummer
    Heidbummer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well done to you, take pride in your achievement!
    There's a lot of people out there who would sell their Grannie to have your problem, but I can definitely see the problem and not feeling good in the clothes you are in can be a downer.
    There has been some good advice viz thrift, ebay and altering your clothes yourself (and you are a creative girl, so you can do it). I can only add scrounge. You don't get what you don't ask for. I'm not recommending begging your friends for clothes, but do let your friends know the problem and some one, particularly those with fluctuating weight themselves, might come up with something. Got sisters, brothers, a mother, cousins?