Very high heart rate when running

Options
Hello,

I've always hated running and said I wasn't built for it. I think I'm built for power exercises like burpees and things that are short and intense. I work out most days (P90X and home workouts mainly) However its the fitness that I guess I need to work on so decided to give it a go.

Anyway I wore my heart rate monitor out yesterday on a 25 minute 4 km run. And within about 10 seconds my heart rate shot up to 174 bpm and stayed there - when it went higher I felt very uncomfortable. When I run it feels like I can't breathe. Afterwards I recover quickly but I am left with a sore throat and a cough.

Is this something I should work on improve on? Will it improve? Or am I really not built for running? Thanks

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Running is super intense. You're new at running. It will improve.
  • kayden625
    Options
    I always worry about my heart rate while running also because it goes way out of my target heart rate. My target heart rate is 129-169 and mine is always from 190-210 bpm. I don't like to run b/c it goes so far out of my target zone, and I also have arthritis. I always wonder if will improve if I ran regularly also.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Simple example are the folks on The Biggest Loser. They start off not being able to run at all and at the end they can run miles and even marathons. In order for that to be possible, their bodies (and heart) have gotten stronger and learned to adapt to the running.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Wow! Those are pretty high heart rates! Perhaps slowing the pace down might help? When I run "easy" my HR is in the 140s and when I'm doing speed work or racing it tops out at 160s-170.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It will get better when your aerobic system develops. Everyone has the capability to develop aerobically but it has to be trained. None of the exercises you listed that you like to do train your body aerobically so it is normal that right now your heartrate maxes out when trying to run.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    The more in shape you get when it comes to running, the lower your heart rate will be. When I was doing the C25K, it wasn't unusual for my heart rate to run in the 180s, especially at the end of the training session. Then it was in the 170s and now it's in the higher 150s and lower 160s and I am running a lot longer and further.

I was also in what I considered very good cardio shape from doing intense workouts on the arc trainer, but I found out differently when I started to run.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Your heart rate has nothing to do with anyone elses. It's your own, and totally unique to yourself. Knowing what someone elses heart rate while doing a similar activity means nothing to you.

You might be going too fast, you might not be (but it sounds like you are). Can you hold a conversation at that speed? That's a good measure for exertion. Has to do with your lactic threshold.

If you want to use a HRM to dictate how you train, you need to find out a bunch of stuff first, #1 being your LTR (lactic threshold). Here is a discussion about different methods of testing: http://www.tothemaxfit.com/articles/pdf/LactateThreshold.pdf . Probably too much info there though ;) . Joe Friel is big on using LTR to determine training plans
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    My heart rate is always around 175-185 on normal, moderate runs. Always. And I've been running for years pretty regularly, so it's not because I'm out of shape, or that it's bad for me. Doing other cardio exercises, it's always in that range, too. I just have a higher heart rate.

It's hard to judge just by heart rate alone, so you might want to use more tools to judge how hard you're working, like your ability to carry on a conversation while running (percieved exertion), instead. Good luck. ;)
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Running fast will do that! If it feels uncomfortable, that means you're pushing yourself. If you're able to sustain that heart rate for a good length of time, that's a good sign. That's usually what competitive runners strive for. However, if you constantly feel like passing out or throwing up, perhaps take it down a notch. A slower pace will lower your heart rate. Also, a good workout to train your body to handle that elevated heart rate is interval training. Try running hard at that elevated HR for 1 min and jog at a very relaxed pace for 2. Repeat maybe 7-10 times during your run. It's best to train your body to be comfortable operating at that heart rate over time. Good luck! Sounds like you're a super runner even though you don't think you're built for it. Anyone can run!! Not everyone will love it though.
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I just went to my doctor for this last week.
    I was checked with an EKG. That showed no problems.
    I am able to vary the high heart rate by intensity so I keep it dialed down a notch. I have also noticed my heart rate will go up if my breathing gets unsynchronized.
    Anyway, my doctor told me to keep at my running and my cardio should improve over time.
    The big thing was to be aware of any problems such as shortness of breath, chest pains, sickness or anything out of the ordinary.

Go a little slower, watch your breathing, be aware of problems.

>For absolute peace of mind see a doctor. <

I am kinda lucky that my doctor is not only a family practitioner but she also does sports medicine and is a runner.
  • JessiC1984
    JessiC1984 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've been running (not amazingly well) for a little over a year, didn't feel like my stamina was improving, so I started c25k. I'm in my fourth week and my heart rate also still gets int the 180s. I don't feel lightheaded, or any chest pain or like I'll vomit, but I also seriously doubt I could carry on a conversation. I'm only running at 5.5 - 6.0 mph. So I don't think I'm running too fast. I do hope eventually my heart rate will come down from there while I'm running.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor. It is possible to have a higher rate than what is considered normal and be healthy -- women, who may have smaller hearts than men, often do -- but 174 in 10 seconds sounds high. The rate may come down as you become more conditioned. Another factor is how quickly your heart rate recovers.

It's nothing for my heart rate to exceed 180. But when I slow down my heart rate comes down very rapidly.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I used to get the uncomfortable, sore throat and cough after any length of running. Even like 20 seconds of running. I started the couch 2 5 K. I didn't complete the program or do it exact just the first 2 weeks, which helped me build stamina and lung capacity. Now, I go on the treadmill for 20 minutes alternating between 2mins jog, 2 min walk. I have absolutely no problem with my throat hurting after I jog anymore. I'm actually beginning to enjoy running. And I was like you, I always said I hated running and it wasn't for me because of the way it made me feel. Just ease into and it will be more enjoyable.