Grapefruit - fact or fiction?

Options
I read this recently on another site:

By adding a ½ grapefruit 3 times a day you can rev up your fat burning furnace. This is just one of many metabolism booster foods but is one that really helps. Studies show that by including ½ grapefruit 3 times a day people lost more weight faster.

Anyone know if there is truth to this? Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to eat myself slim!

Replies

• nikkoteeny
    nikkoteeny Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit - fact or fiction?

Definitely fact. Grapefruits really exist! :laugh:

As for being a metabolism booster, I don't know. I'd really have to know more details of the study to even make an educated guess as to its merit. But I would surmise that eating 1.5 grapefruits per day could help with weight loss because if you're snacking on grapefruit, you're not snacking on something worse.
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ryanwake
    Options
    Not sure of the truth to this, but here is a article I ran across.

http://thyroid.about.com/b/2004/02/19/grapefruit-and-weight-loss-the-grapefruit-diet-is-alive-and-well.htm

I have also been told by a personal trainer friend of mine that drinking 6-8oz or grapefruit juice after a meal has the potential to help rev your metabolism for a few hours after your meal. I personally have seen what seemed to be a little success with this method, however, it could have been many contributing factors. But what can it hurt to try it?
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    I have no clue.. But I do know they are horrible in taste! :sick:
  • Brenna
    Brenna Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Sprinkle some splenda on it - tastes pretty god:happy:

Also, for my cocktail, I do real grapefruit juice with vodka. Its the adult way to consume my daily grapefruit:laugh:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options

Also, for my cocktail, I do real grapefruit juice with vodka. Its the adult way to consume my daily grapefruit:laugh:

That would be great! My husband comes home, im completely wasted "Hey Hunny!! Just getting healthy! *hick-up* Cheers!!" :laugh:
  • nikkoteeny
    nikkoteeny Posts: 13 Member
    Options

They're delicious with some brown sugar sprinkled on top, then warmed a bit in the microwave. :wink:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm skeptical. I'd have to see the studies to decide whether they hold any weight (no pun intended).
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options

They're delicious with some brown sugar sprinkled on top, then warmed a bit in the microwave. :wink:

Hmmm, that sounds good...
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Here is an article about it. It seems pretty legit.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/5495.php

I don't know how much benefit it will have if you have to add sugar to it to eat it. Personally, I can't stand grapefuit so there is noway I'm trying it.:sick:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Dunno, I couldn't find the actual test results or methodology to see if they did a precise job with the groups, but it is possible I guess, that some enzyme in grapefruit can inhibit insulin production. If that's the case, then great! I found a lot of article on both sides of this issue. Dunno, I can say one thing for sure, grapefruit has a lot of good stuff in it, so it couldn't hurt people to give it a shot!
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I cannot imagine eating 1.5 grapefruits a day for any substantial length of time. I think that if your goal is long term weight loss, you are probably better off chosing a method you can stick with. I would also think that a variety of fruit in your diet is going to give you a larger spectrum of vitamins / minerals / antioxidants and would provide many benefits in addition to weight loss.
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options

Better yet, peel the inner peel. I used to hate them (still don't love them :laugh: ), till I discovered that if I peel all I could peel, the pulp tastes OK.
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options

That would be great! My husband comes home, im completely wasted "Hey Hunny!! Just getting healthy! *hick-up* Cheers!!" :laugh:

That is too funny. I have never tried grapefruit but im not a big one on change. I might try the juice however. I don't like oranges however love orange juice. So you never know i guess.
  • usavlw
    Options
    I don't think there is such a thing as fat bunrning foods for me that is a misnomer. What i think grapefruit is is a high fiber food and fiber is a filler like ...
    Whole-grain breads, Brown or wild rice
    Raw fruit with skin or membranes, such as oranges
    Raw vegetables
    Dried beans or peas
    Baked beans
    info from mayo clinic.
    check out... http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fiber-foods/NU00582 ...very good website
    and when you eat high fiber foods you fill up faster.

be careful of drug interactions
    but i could be wrong
    good luck anyway ---VW
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Citrus have more soluble fiber than apples and bananas, so you can stay full a little longer.
  • Scubachick
    Options
    Great links there gang - thanks.

Am I the only person who actually likes grapefruits - raw, without sugar?:bigsmile: I tend not to buy them as its easier grab an apple or peal and orange. I might add a couple to my weekly shop in future, but don't know if I would do the 1.5 grapefruits a day!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It's fiction. The grapefruit diet has been around since the early 60's. It doesn't increase your metabolism. What does help is that you eat half a grapefruit about a half hour before meals. This does help to decrease your appetite since your body will have time to absorb some of those calories and you'll feel more full. But, truthfully, you could do that with anything. Eat some sliced tomatos, celery or carrots about a half hour before a meal and that would curb your appetite as well.