Eating, just for calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot of recommendations for counseling when this girl is asking for ways to get a higher caloric intake. It is fun to point the finger and shame, isn't it? That's why things like reality TV and TMZ exist. I tend to prefer shaming in the forums, also, but everyone beat me to it on this one. How about some actual advice?

Try to keep you fridge stocked with high calorie foods that are easy for you to consume. Pre-made shakes are a good bet. Something with actual nutrition in it - look for "meal replacement" as opposed to just "protein". Met-RX makes some packets that you just throw into a blender, those are pretty easy.

I also have to force myself to hit my daily goals. Having items prepared already or things you can just open up and eat makes this much easier. Some cereals are healthy and high calorie, take a look at that aisle in the store. I keep a few jars on my counter with different nuts in them - great way to pack in extra calories and you can snack on them while you watch TV or something.

Also, it helps to drink water with meals. That way I don't feel like I am just choking things down.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I've focused on only eating when I'm hungry, and stopping when I'm no longer hungry. Needless to say I've been eating 500-800 cals a day but burning basically everything I'm eating .. so I've been eating to catch up on calories but I absolutely hate it, what do I do now .. anyone with similar issues?

Plan your day better - log it in the day before, so you can make sure you use up your allowance and not have so many left at the end of the day.

I try to get to +/-100 of my calorie allowance every day and if it gets to the end of the day and I still have some left, I eat some nuts, or drink some milk, have a banana, anything to get as close to my calories as possible.
  • jordalyssa94
    Options
    I hear a lot of recommendations for counseling when this girl is asking for ways to get a higher caloric intake. It is fun to point the finger and shame, isn't it? That's why things like reality TV and TMZ exist. I tend to prefer shaming in the forums, also, but everyone beat me to it on this one. How about some actual advice?

Try to keep you fridge stocked with high calorie foods that are easy for you to consume. Pre-made shakes are a good bet. Something with actual nutrition in it - look for "meal replacement" as opposed to just "protein". Met-RX makes some packets that you just throw into a blender, those are pretty easy.

I also have to force myself to hit my daily goals. Having items prepared already or things you can just open up and eat makes this much easier. Some cereals are healthy and high calorie, take a look at that aisle in the store. I keep a few jars on my counter with different nuts in them - great way to pack in extra calories and you can snack on them while you watch TV or something.

Also, it helps to drink water with meals. That way I don't feel like I am just choking things down.

thank you, I really am not trying not to eat anymore, I've been there and I CAN tell the difference, I am trying to hit my goals but eating veggies and cereals and nuts still doesn't hit my goal for me, I know everyone else cares enough to be concerned, and thanks, but I am not going back through counselling. Nutritionist, maybe, but I do not need anyone to ask me why I am or not eating.. I;m trying to do what my body needs, and yes I've screwed it up most of my growing years but, I did recover
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you *really* don't think you can eat, get thee some Ensure. If you're in the process of refeeding (from an eating disorder or other health problem), I wouldn't recommend doing it alone or with the advice of a message board. You need to be monitored by a physician.
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if I find that I'm just not hungry or able to eat, I can almost always eat some cereal. Most aren't hugely calorie-dense (at least not the ones I like/am able to eat), but it adds up.
  • saltskinmermaid
    Options
    Right now today, my deficit is 1300...... I'm having pasta for dinner, lots of veggies, I'm a vegetarian, but since i stopped eating just because of boredom, I stopped eating most of my food, I'm never hungry !

I hear ya.. I'm veggie too and it wasn't until I joined this site that I realized I was only eating about 900 cals at most a day. I'm trying hard to hit over 1300 a day, but I'm lucky if I even get close to 1200. Just don't get hungry and when I do eat, veggies don't have a lot of calories. :-/

I added more guacamole, hummus, and peanut butter to my diet!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You're going to need to build your 'eating hormones' back up before you'll be hungry physically for the food so at first it might feel like you're 'eating just to eat'. What I'd recommend is to stick to your meals since you want to not eat simply out of boredom- a good call. So increase your meal size/calorie density instead.

Try to add 100 calories extra a day for a week. Next week up to 200 extra a day. Your body will start getting used to eating healthier amounts and you'll get hunger signals again.

Easiest way to increase cals is to have a meal replacement shake with one of your meals. It's what I did to up my cals and worked great- plus it's not just 'junk' it's good for you. Try Myoplex (what I used) original. It's 300 cals but sat easy on my stomach. (except for the strawberry one for some reason).
  • jordalyssa94
    Options
    If you *really* don't think you can eat, get thee some Ensure. If you're in the process of refeeding (from an eating disorder or other health problem), I wouldn't recommend doing it alone or with the advice of a message board. You need to be monitored by a physician.
    I FINISHED my recovery over a year ago, I do go to the doctor's very often, and I am very honest about it.. I understand the concern of everyone but my mindset it NOT the same as when i was anorexic, thank you everyone..........
  • jessicataylor2
    Options
    I'd say just focus on eating higher calorie foods, while still being healthy. Since you're a vegetarian it's a tough thing to do. So I suggest protein shakes, have a slice of wheat bread or toast with meals, and have some yogurt or other dairy. Another good thing is larabars or luna bars. They're pretty small but do have a little over 200 calories, are good for you, and only 3-4 ingredients in most of them. I do have to force myself to eat just for the calories sometimes because I'm often full after around 1,000 and I burn about 600 at the gym. So I got into the habit of eating something, even just a piece of fruit or granola bar, around every 3 hours. This also keeps your metabolism going. Good luck :)
  • sipseyab
    sipseyab Posts: 59
    Options
    I am also a vegetarian, and sometimes struggle with getting enough calories (although at my weight, it wouldn't have quite the negative effect it could have on you). Peanut butter, avocados, refried beans, eggs, cheese...these are all things I have fully stocked in my kitchen. Breakfast for me is often a refried bean and cheese burrito with a huge bowl of fruit salad. Also, you can pick up some of the higher calorie protein bars and eat them between meals.

Good luck, it sounds like you've gotten some good ideas for getting in those extra calories!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Eat what your body needs both in terms of calories and good nutrition. Eat a variety of foods. Sometimes when we have been eating enough and good nutrition our body will tell us when we are hungry and when we have had enough. Sugar however has this way of making you crave more. When you haven't been eating right your body may not be telling you when you need to eat or when you need to stop. If you change how many calories you have been eating it takes time for it to adjust. I would eat a healthy diet including enough calories. Find out what your BMR and TDEE are. Eat between your BMR and TDEE to lose. Eat at your TDEE to maintain and eat above your TDEE to gain. Set your macros on here ( protein, carbs etc.) Some use 40 30 30. Remember you need certain good fats too. Make sure you have 3 vegetables and 2 fruit servings and 3 higher protein servings a day. If you eat close to when you wake and eat every 2-3 hours you will start to feel hungry when you need to eat. Some junk is ok but keep it down. Drinking your calories can mess with this as well.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're struggling. :(

I wish I could eat for you. I think I could save the world from starvation if I could just eat for people. I love to eat!

Anyway, I hope eating more calorie dense foods may help. Try getting fat, too, like coconut oil, olive oil, etc. It's going to feel really decadent when you start adding it to your foods, but your body will adjust. I like the idea of drinking something like Ensure, too.
  • jordalyssa94
    Options
    thanks guys, looking like some shakes and high cal protein bars for me, as a start or something different !
  • JaclynReinhart
    JaclynReinhart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had cut way down on calories for my body weight and I think it messed with my body. I felt really bad for a few months like had energy crashes, some shakes, stomach cramps. Went to my doctor and she though it was stress which it was related to it. I had went from stress eating to not eating......so when I started logging my food I found out just how little I was eating. Now I am back to normal and not even focusing on losing weight at this point. Just making sure I get lots of healthy food.
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Nuts and dried fruits are a great way to boost your calories. Trail mix is calorie dense and usually nutritious.
  • livelongmama
    livelongmama Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    One ounce of walnuts has 200 calories and 20 grams of fat. Other nuts and nut butters have similar calorie counts. I have not ever had the same issues as you are speaking of, but for me, it is really easy to eat an ounce of nuts without feeling full (or even noticing that I just ate 200 calories!! LOL). There are many other nutritious ways to increase your calorie intake whether you are vegetarian or vegan. If you are vegetarian and can tolerate dairy, cheese would be great. Avocados are another nutrient and calorie dense food for vegans/vegetarians. Good luck!

I forgot to mention granola. Granola is very high in calories without much bulk. Add some to yogurt for some extra calories.
  • Brunchstress
    Options
    The Kind brand of supplement bars is pretty good. They are low in sodium, which is much healthier than most. My trainer recommends them, as well. I had a chocolate peanut protein bar today that was 200 calories. Nuts, peanut butter, dark chocolate, avocados, etc. will all help you to rack up good fats and calories without feeling all full. I love working with a trainer/nutritionist. I'm sure you could find someone you like to help keep you focused. Good luck!