I can't run, no matter what I do!

Options
Hey everyone. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone. For a very long time now, I have not been able to run. I can walk for miles and miles, no problem there, but when it comes to running, no matter how much I try to condition myself, I can't run more than 1 minute (I am that pathetic!) I tried to run for 30 seconds and then walk for a while and then raise the running time, but no luck. If you had this sort of experience, did you do something to fix it? Or maybe you saw a doctor and suggest I see one too? I don't want to go to the doctor with this issue, primarily because I don't even know what my issue is...

Replies

• MistressOfHate
    Options
    What happens when you try to run? Are you out of breath or does your body hurt?
  • dododo123
    dododo123 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am out of breath. If I keep at that 30 second thing, my chest starts to hurt as well.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i get out of breath too - just like anything else you have to build yourself up. it takes some time.
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Call your Doctor and tell him.
  • MistressOfHate
    Options
    Sounds like how I used to be. I tried C25K a few times and couldn't get past the second week without coughing and not breathing well. Turns out I've been going around with asthma for years. I thought I was just REALLY out of shape.
    I'd go to the doctor if I were you. My asthma is now well controlled and I'm on week 5 of C25K with no problems at all.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone. For a very long time now, I have not been able to run. I can walk for miles and miles, no problem there, but when it comes to running, no matter how much I try to condition myself, I can't run more than 1 minute (I am that pathetic!) I tried to run for 30 seconds and then walk for a while and then raise the running time, but no luck. If you had this sort of experience, did you do something to fix it? Or maybe you saw a doctor and suggest I see one too? I don't want to go to the doctor with this issue, primarily because I don't even know what my issue is...

same here, to a point. i'm in pretty good shape now; i walk for miles at a high rate of speed that is almost jogging. i routinely do intense workouts on an exercise bike. whenever i try to jog, though, i get winded faster than i would expect.

i'm going to try it again later this summer with a different breathing technique.
  • SarieCherries
    SarieCherries Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the Couch to 5k program? Its a great way to work yourself up to jogging consistently for 30 minutes gradually. It might be a good way to get your endurance and cardio up.

http://www.fromcouchto5k.com/articles/training/the-couch-to-5k-training-plan/
  • dododo123
    dododo123 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I guess I will see a doctor about the asthma thing and if it is not that, I will keep trying. I have no idea why I don't improve just a bit though ;(
  • twinswin1
    twinswin1 Posts: 25
    Options
    I hate jogging/running, just abhor it. I was certain my lungs were exploding. After many year of trying and failing, I decided to try again and once more, I thought "oh my God! My lungs are exploding!" To confirm this, I grabbed the treadmill heart rate monitor to prove my heartrate must be at least 180. Ha, 136. I sucked it up and have been running off and on ever since. I guess I'm saying just do it. Don't cling to the can't and go for the can. :happy:
  • MistressOfHate
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a great program. Seems like your were trying to do something along the same lines already. If it were your first few weeks of trying then I'd say just keep at it but to have no improvement over an extended period of time would make me wonder if something else was going on.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the couch to 5k program. Due to a heart problem I was never allowed to run when I was younger. But now I am running. I ran my first mile ever 3 weeks ago. Now I am up to 2.2 miles running nonstop. The couch to 5k program is great. There is an app that times you. Look up c25k. Great app! And Iam doing my first 5k in two weeks!
  • mikesa3
    mikesa3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking plenty of water? Since I started drinking 2 cups of water in the morning before I work out I feel a lot more energy and don't get out of breath as easy. I haven't done much running yet (want to start c25k soon) but I drink 1 cup when I wake up and another about 20 minutes before I work out at the gym and feel a huge difference. HTH
    Nancy
    edited to add that my heart rate would get high quickly when I wasn't drinking the water before working out
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options

I pretend zombies are chasing me.......and I pick a point ahead of me and say I need to make it there to be safe and then once I am there I pick another point and say once I make it there I am safe, I also take deep breathes and run a pace that is right for me. If I can sing I am running to slow.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Have you tried running slower? I started running (using Couch to 5k) at 5mph on the treadmill because I could still walk at 4.5mph, but I know people who run at 3.5 and 4mph, too. And for the longest time, I couldn't go any faster than that, until I had the endurance to go a longer distance.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Have you tried running slower? I started running (using Couch to 5k) at 5mph on the treadmill because I could still walk at 4.5mph, but I know people who run at 3.5 and 4mph, too. And for the longest time, I couldn't go any faster than that, until I had the endurance to go a longer distance.

Seems I'm always "seconding" what Lorina says. I'm one of those that runs at 4mph, because I couldn't go faster without having an asthma attack. First see your doctor fora physicl, to make sure he ok's a running program, and if its ok, start couch to 5k very slowly. I've been at it long enough that I've knocked 3 minutes off my mile.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If your chest is hurting you need to get checked out by a doctor. You're not severely obese to warrant not being able to condition yourself so it sounds like something that might be medical.

NOTE: This is assuming you are following a patterned and somewhat consistent schedule of trying to condition yourself to run. If you're not consistent then that's probably the issue.

EDIT: Lorina has a point. How fast is it you're trying to run? Is this an all-out effort? Because that's the opposite of what endurance running prescribes.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I had that with my wrist. It might be part of getting older. :(

There's plenty of exercise you can do without running.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Want me to chase you?

Seriously, though, maybe give Couch 2 5k a try.

Or just keep walking. I love walking, even though I *can* run at this point.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a good treadmill?
    See how long you can go at 6MPH.