Survived My First Warrior Dash

Options
I'll be the first to say when I finished I was plum exhausted.

It was a cold day in Mississippi yesterday. Cloudy, with a chance of rain, windy, and the temps hoovering around the low 50s most of the day. My heat was at 10. The first few obstacles weren't bad, the bad part was the mud pits. You can't train to run through a mud pit. The next few feet after are the worst, iffen you ain't careful you'll slip and bust it on dry land.

By far the worst obstable was the cargo crawl with mud caked on it. Or it was for me.

My hip got to bothering me and didn't get relief until I hit the icy water near the end, but the rest of my body didn't like it.

I did wipe out pretty good at the end after the fire pit heading to the finish line mudpit. I got an OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH from the crowd. It was awesome.

Replies

• jfig600
    jfig600 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That's great sounds like fun . I will be doing my first one next weekend I just hope I finish I have never run a 5k before but this looks more fun than just running
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    That's great sounds like fun . I will be doing my first one next weekend I just hope I finish I have never run a 5k before but this looks more fun than just running
    Yea.. Don't worry about running.. It's the experience, unless you want to win fastest whatever. It's built to test you and to have fun.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I was there yesterday too! :) Jeeez I was so cold! I ended up spending 30 bucks for a jacket, haha.

I got some pics from yesterday:

www.photobucket.com/wd2012buffcupcake
  • kandire
    kandire Posts: 87
    Options
    Congratulations to you! I'm doing my first one in August with some of my family. I'm getting excited to see how it goes.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the experience. I'm running the Iowa dash in July and can't wait. My goal isn't to win, but to finish, no matter what.
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    did my first on last year.. great fun! i am hoping to try another this year.. but my knee is not making me happy and i really want to beat my last year's time..
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    oh fun!! thank you so much for sharing. my first one is next month, i'm SO looking forward to it!
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was right in front of you in the 9:30 heat! I finished in 1:01. A year ago I could have never done it but so thankful that I did. Awesome experience. I told someone earlier today that it is one of those things that you can DO or spend the rest of your life wishing you had done it everytime you hear someone else talking about it. Congratulations WARRIOR!
  • ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Do any of the people WALK it? I'd like to try one, but running a 5K is challenging for me, much less with obstacles. I'd feel odd if I was the only one walking though.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    OH yea.. People were walking. It's all about the finish.
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experiance! I am runnning the Wisconsin, Warrior Dash in August. I am scared its going to be really hot outside. Can't wait! Glad you had a great race, good job!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I wanted to go to that one so badly! Haha. Congrats! I hated being only an hour or so away yet having to miss it. :P
  • tcemt
    tcemt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I'm attempting my first dash this Sunday in Florence, AZ. I sure hope the 100+ weather goes away for it. :tongue:
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I did my first WD last summer. I finished in 47 min. It was tough. I'm doing it again this year in Sept. I'm hoping to finish in 45 min or less. Last year I hurt my knee crossing the fire. They had ours going down hill and when I landed after the first fire jump my knee buckled. Thank god I didn't fall but I was close to the side/end so I just jogged around the second fire jump. It can get pretty dangerous out there.

I'm from MN so I did mine at Afton. This year I'm doing it in Hugo MN.
  • normh
    normh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing my first WD this Sunday. Thankfully the temperature will be a bit cooler at 89 degrees than this past weekend at 105 ! My wife and 2 oldest girls will be doing it as well. I figure it will be a fun family outing. Not worried about winning, just finishing with a smile on my face.
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I do my first mud run, also the Warrior Dash, May 19th! Pretty excited, but nervous!!!