Losing Lean Muscle...what am I doing wrong?

Options
I just did the Bod Pod that calculates your percentage of fat versus lean muscle and I learned that over the last year I've lost 10 lbs of lean muscle! This makes no sense to me. I work with a personal trainer 3 times a week for 30 minutes lifting weights. I also do cardio on my own 3 times a week for 40 - 45 minutes. I try to focus on eating protein and cut down on the fats. What am I doing wrong? Yes, my weight is down but I was really expecting to see an increase of lean muscle, not a loss. I KNOW I'm a lot stronger now.

Replies

• paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have heard it here tons that you can't (or it is very hard, near impossible) to lose fat and build muscle at the same time. My guess is you're not eating enough total calories to maintain your muscle mass.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Anytime someone goes on a "diet" they end up losing some muscle. It's not permanent. You can rebuild the muscle.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    dont cut down on fats.. you need a certain amount of dietary fat daily in order to create proper hormone function and preserve muscle mass.
  • mikesa3
    mikesa3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    But how much body fat % did you lose? Maybe you had a high lean body mass already but it was under the fat. Also was the test a year ago with a bod pod and were you wearing the same thing? The Bod Pod can be dissappointing when expecting better results. I took one test 6 weeks ago then just had another. I'm still at a high body fat % of 38% even though I'm only 138 lbs. So since I have very little lean mass I was expecting a change. I didn't gain any lean mass though did lose 2 % body fat. I'm a lot stronger too so I know I built stronger muscles. I have so much more muscle defintion that was I sure my lean mass would have gone up but it didn't.
    I know you will get some good advice here ,I just wanted to say don't let that silly Bod Pod get you down. I'm sure you see and feel the change and that's what is important.
    Nancy
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you lose some muscle along with the fat. I think it is just inevitable. If you are continuing to get stronger, I wouldn't worry about it. Once you hit your goal weight, you can eat maintenance (or a little more) to put back on some muscle mass.

Maybe you haven't been eating enough protein AND you NEED fats to help maintain muscle mass as well, or calories in general to maintain lean mass. If you are netting below your BMR your body will burn some of your muscle, along with fat, for fuel.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Your ticker has 33 pounds right, is that right? What are the before and after weights and body fats so we know what scale we are talking about here.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    If you are definitely stronger then you probably haven't lost that much lean muscle. I think it's pretty simple. The bigger the muscle, the stronger the muscle.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Were you on a diet?
    If so you lose both fat and muscle.
    Also the older we get, we also lose more muscle mass.
    Weight lifting would help but it does not mean it would save all your lean muscle mass.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit = muscle goes out with the fat, too. Sorry.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I just did the Bod Pod that calculates your percentage of fat versus lean muscle and I learned that over the last year I've lost 10 lbs of lean muscle! This makes no sense to me. I work with a personal trainer 3 times a week for 30 minutes lifting weights. I also do cardio on my own 3 times a week for 40 - 45 minutes. I try to focus on eating protein and cut down on the fats. What am I doing wrong? Yes, my weight is down but I was really expecting to see an increase of lean muscle, not a loss. I KNOW I'm a lot stronger now.

Get tested on a body fat scale or Omron Handheld Body Fat Monitor and use your scale. See what either or these devices tell you that your body fat percentage is (It's possible that either devices will give you the same reading the Bod Pod have or be off by a few percentage) I know that a lot of people think that the Bod Pod is more accurate than the body fat scale and Omron Handheld Body Fat Monitor, but that's not really true. The Bod Pod testing can be inaccurate due to the temperature in the room, the person doing the test or even if the machine has been bumped, during the room being cleaned that means it has a calibration problem. Did they have you put on a cap? Body hair can interfere with the results too.
  • DKatherineS
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I am also experiencing muscle loss this in spite of upping protein intake and doing resistance training. My weight loss has been extremely slow averaging about half a pound a week over the last year even though I was 3 and half stone over weight. I thought that I must be a freak. Like you I definitely feel stronger and fitter so I guess we shouldn't get too hung up on the figures.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Get tested on a body fat scale or Omron Handheld Body Fat Monitor and use your scale. See what either or these devices tell you that your body fat percentage is (It's possible that either devices will give you the same reading the Bod Pod have or be off by a few percentage) I know that a lot of people think that the Bod Pod is more accurate than the body fat scale and Omron Handheld Body Fat Monitor, but that's not really true. The Bod Pod testing can be inaccurate due to the temperature in the room, the person doing the test or even if the machine has been bumped, during the room being cleaned that means it has a calibration problem. Did they have you put on a cap? Body hair can interfere with the results too.

Do you even realize how inaccurate the handheld and scales are?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Bodies and measures don't always cooperate with our best plans. Try changing something up. How about shorter interval training?
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/437981-can-i-build-muscle-mass-with-interval-training/
    I recently downloaded an IntervalTimer app which looks intriguing.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Are you going heavy?
    How much protein do you get?
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

Are you going heavy?
    How much protein do you get?

Those were my questions as well. If you're not eating enough protein (or overall calories) you could be doing more harm than good. What does a typical training session look like for you?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I will go ahead and list my thoughts and suggestions, you can read and do with as you wish.

1) If you are in deficit, do protein at least 1.0gr / pound of body weight
    2) While in deficit a loss of fat/muscle is usually on the order of 80/20
    3) Lift weights and go heavy...got to have stimulation. If you don't use, you lose.
    4) Try BCAA's pre and post workout.....they can help protect muscle while lifting
    5) Your body needs fats. Minimum of 0.35 gr / pound of body weight
    6) Try comprising post workout meal of high carbs/decent protein, low fat.....

Those are some things I can think of I would try doing to help preserve your LBM