Those doing Low Carb - intake question

Options
so I recently been eating low carb, high protein/fat for the part 2 days. First 2 days were tough but I'm doing much better today. I was wondering, does it matter if you still consume carbs from GRAINS while doing low carb? What if I'm still consuming a slice of bread or two a day but still keeping my carb intake under 50g which is still LOW to me.. Does it matter as far as weight loss? Or is doing low carb cutting out grains and getting carbs only from veggies/fruits....?

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    ive done ketogenic low carb diets in the past and can tell you that it will be impossible to keep your carb intake under 50g a day if you consume any type of grain or fruit.. all of your carbohydrates have to be from green leafy vegetables if you choose to do any type of ketogenic diet in order to hit micronutrient goals.. i strongly advise not to do low carb diets to that extreme for various reasons but if you choose to you cant eat grains or fruit it has to be from veggies.
  • bdsweetie21
    Options
    I agree with him ^ with keeping to the leafy greens, but I personally think a balance is always the best. Cutting one entire food group out of your diet is never good in my opinion.
  • hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've eaten fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries) on ketogenic diets (20g or less a day) so you can eat berries and still be fine for that, some people have to cut them out but I didn't seem to be very sensitive to them. Some people need to cut out all artificial sweeteners and I wasn't sensitive to those either, so each person is different for that. I would think with a 50g a day limit though you'd be able to eat some bread if you truly wanted to, you wouldn't be fitting much else carb-wise into that day but if all you are looking at is the 50g then it would work. I never personally ate grains of any type when I did low carb, but my limit was much lower than yours. If you did want to keep eating grains maybe something like South Beach which is more moderate carb and allows grains? I think the key is to find something where you won't be miserable! Will power only lasts so long.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    so I recently been eating low carb, high protein/fat for the part 2 days. First 2 days were tough but I'm doing much better today. I was wondering, does it matter if you still consume carbs from GRAINS while doing low carb? What if I'm still consuming a slice of bread or two a day but still keeping my carb intake under 50g which is still LOW to me.. Does it matter as far as weight loss? Or is doing low carb cutting out grains and getting carbs only from veggies/fruits....?

Doesn't matter what the carb is as long as fits into your 50g per day. You should be able to fit in a slice of bread I couldn't when I did 20g carb. Cutting out grains is a paleo thing.
  • sambeau5
    sambeau5 Posts: 3
    Options
    Totally depends on what your goals are for low carb. <30-50g/day is probably low enough if you are doing the ketogenic thing. If you are trying to get into ketosis buy some ketostix and test your pee. You'll know if you're eating too many carbs based on that. Gluconeogenesis is in full swing if the ketostix show upwards of 5mg/dl of ketones. AWESOME way to lose weight, if you ask me. Helps get rid of sweets cravings, ironically. :) Keep it up.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on what your goals are for low carb. <30-50g/day is probably low enough if you are doing the ketogenic thing. If you are trying to get into ketosis buy some ketostix and test your pee. You'll know if you're eating too many carbs based on that. Gluconeogenesis is in full swing if the ketostix show upwards of 5mg/dl of ketones. AWESOME way to lose weight, if you ask me. Helps get rid of sweets cravings, ironically. :) Keep it up.

I didn't want to recommend the ketostix as some people find it doesn't show up on the stix but they are in ketosis.
    Low carb may be good for getting rid of the cravings, keeping appetite down so achieve the calorie deficit. Don't stay low carb though.