looking for oatmeal recipes

Options
2»

Replies

• golfnutqr
    Options
    I like steel-cut (Irish or Scottish) oats instead of rolled/instant oatmeal. It's sort of like breakfast risotto! It takes about 45 minutes to make 1 serving or 5-6 servings, so I do the following recipe and put the extra in 1 cup containers in the fridge. Two minutes in the microwave and a little more "Saigon" cinnamon and breakfast is served on the other 4-5 days. Numbers in () are for a little larger initial batch.

Original recipe on Good Eats (Alton Brown) on the Food Network.

Saute 1 (1 1/3) cup of steel cut (pinhead) oats in 1 (1½) Tbsp. of butter. Keep moving every now and then.

3 (4) cups boiling water (AB recommends electric kettle for speed and efficiency)

When oats smell nutty, add water AND ¼ c. dried fruit. Turn down heat to a simmer and stir. NO salt yet. After reaching a good simmer (about 2 on my left front burner), cover and leave for 30 (35) minutes.

½ c whole milk
    ½ c, buttermilk (whole or low-fat)

Mix milks together before adding to porridge to prevent curdling. Add ½ t. salt and milk

Fold (with fat handle of a spoon to prevent breaking down oat structure) until right consistency.

Add cinnamon (Zeylanicum tree, not cassia) or a good Vietnamese cinnamon works for me.

I find that I can skip the milks part. Just fold in ¾ - 1 c (¼ c is cooked with oats so it is really soft) of dried fruit and about 3 - 6-oz. containers of yogurt. It seems to keep in the fridge just fine for at least a week. One cup nukes in about 2 min or so.
  • Murlin54
    Murlin54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've tried most of the fruit add ins above, nuts, peanut butter, but the other day I was out of fruits I usu,ally add so I drained one of those single servings cups of diced peaches and added that to my oatmeal. It was really tasty. Reminded me off the flavored peaches and cream oatmeal but I used Nature's Promise Organic Steel Cut Oatmeal. (slow cook) and Dole peaches. I use Stevia if I need extra sweetness.
  • nat0224
    nat0224 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I add frozen mixed berries and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of vanilla soy milk (light). I toss the frozen berries in right when the oatmeal comes out of the microwave. The heat thaws the berries and the cold cools the oatmeal so I can eat it right away.
  • kkoshiro
    kkoshiro Posts: 69
    Options
    I add deried orange flavored cranberries and oranges plus 1 tsp of brown sugar