Gluten Free??

Options
Anyone else here have Celiac disease?? I was diagnosed after YEARS of stomach problems about 4 months ago.... it's been good but I hate gf bread!! I have also decided to cut out dairy... any success stories on both those??

Replies

• BrittanyLynne21
    BrittanyLynne21 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hey I have Celiac disease too! I've had it for about 3 years! Its definitely a hard adjustment but a good one. Gluten free bread is hard to get use too. The first year I didn't eat any of the stuff but now I like Udies bread! Very good. Good luck on everything =]
  • GlutenFreeFatty
    Options
    I Have yet to find a bread I like. It sucks because I live rather rural.. about an hour or more from a city. The grocery stores here don't have a lot to choose from. My mom makes her own, but I dont like it either... ugh.. ah well... less carbs for me!!
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 4 yrs ago.. Udi's bread is the best I have found.. They also have some other products---bagels, pizza crust, cinnamon bread----that are good also....I have tried to make my own and have some recipes but they don't freeze well....
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Don't have celiacs, actually allergic to wheat (yes, it really can be an allergy, that's why I have to carry an epi pen,) but I have to say that Udi's so far has been the best for bread, hamburger/hotdog buns and pizza crusts. I don't like their frozen pizza that I've started seeing in the store, I just don't care for the taste of their sauce. Have not started making my own yet, I have too much I have to learn to remake, I figured that anything I can get premade will help til I can learn to make my own. Another brand of bread that I liked, but I could only find at the Healthfood store (and it's more expensive) is Rudy's, their slices are more the size of regular bread.

I want to pass on a piece of advice I was given in case you're like me and you used to eat "regular" bread and now have to go GF: Everything you eat that is gluten free is going to taste different than it's "regular" counterpart, you cannot compare one to another it's like comparing apples and bananas. Try to keep an open mind.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in January of this year. It was a culture shock at first, but I find that it is not as bad as I though it would be. Feel free to friend me if you want.

Have you tried Udi's GF bread. It is the only GF bread I will eat. I don't care for the cookies though.
  • peachNpunkin
    Options
    Don't have celiacs, actually allergic to wheat (yes, it really can be an allergy, that's why I have to carry an epi pen,) but I have to say that Udi's so far has been the best for bread, hamburger/hotdog buns and pizza crusts. I don't like their frozen pizza that I've started seeing in the store, I just don't care for the taste of their sauce. Have not started making my own yet, I have too much I have to learn to remake, I figured that anything I can get premade will help til I can learn to make my own. Another brand of bread that I liked, but I could only find at the Healthfood store (and it's more expensive) is Rudy's, their slices are more the size of regular bread.

I want to pass on a piece of advice I was given in case you're like me and you used to eat "regular" bread and now have to go GF: Everything you eat that is gluten free is going to taste different than it's "regular" counterpart, you cannot compare one to another it's like comparing apples and bananas. Try to keep an open mind.

I couldn't have said that any better Rachel.
  • maharrod7
    maharrod7 Posts: 32
    Options
    I know what you mean. Its hard to adjust. My friend got me a gluten free cook book. Its my savior! I have made so many delicous dinners from it. I make alot of my food now. i think my own bread is the best. ALWAYS WARM THE BREAD thats my best tip!
  • pat6250
    pat6250 Posts: 90
    Options
    Since you live far from a city, your best bet might be to make your own bread. I have found some good recipe books for GF cooking on line, also check out the magazine Living Without. If the foods in this recipe are safe for you, I highly reccomend it:

Mexican corn bread

1 cup corn meal 2/3 cup buttermilk
    1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1 cup cream style corn 1/3 cup oil
    2 eggs 5 slices pepper cheese
    Preheat oven to 375.
    Grease an 8 or 9 inch square pan. Mix together all ingredients except cheese slices. Put half the batter in the pan and spread out. place cheese squares evenly over batter. Top with the rest of the batter and spread it out. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until lightly browned on top. You can omit the cheese, or substitute any other kind if you don't like hot peppers. Refrigerate leftovers, it stays moist and delicious.

If you find lots of gluten free things you can eat, you won't miss the old gluten filled things that messed up your tummy so badly. Bisquick has a new gluten free mix, which makes very good pancakes. Best of luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • maharrod7
    maharrod7 Posts: 32
    Options
    O and betty crocker gluten free brownies are AMAZING. There cheap and so yummy! Its good to make ur self if ur going to a party or it someones bday
  • peachNpunkin
    Options
    O and betty crocker gluten free brownies are AMAZING. There cheap and so yummy! Its good to make ur self if ur going to a party or it someones bday

So are the chocolate chip cookies.