Avoiding dessert

Options
Anybody have tips on how to avoid the need to eat something sweet after a meal?

Replies

• fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    may i ask ... why do you feel the need to avoid dessert??
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I don't. That doesn't end well for me.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid it! I always have dessert, even when I was losing the 50 pounds I lost this year.

When I was really restricting my calories, my dessert would be things like;

Non-Fat Greek Yogurt with cinnamon and apple slices (YUM!)

or

2 TBSP Kettle Almond butter Creamy, Lightly Salted (no sugar added) with a square or two of dark (85%) chocolate / or a low cal pumpkin muffin (See this recipe - http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/pumpkin-cupcakes-with-pumpkin-spiced.html ) - no frosting.

or

1 TBSP natural peanut butter (no sugar added, only salt & peanuts) with 1 TSP honey.

It gave me just enough of a dessert feeling so I wouldn't go crazy. :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    Save some calories and work it in. Just have something small.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Say, "No thank you."

Or have dessert, but make sure you have enough calories left.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    There are two schools of thought on this issue, one is to 'detox' and go for two weeks or so without any dessert and you will stop craving it as much. The other (which I choose) is to find better alternatives to indulge with.

I love having something sweet at the end of the day, I have just found a bunch of new options that are better than sitting down with a block of chocolate or a packet of cookies!

There are a number of foods that are sweet but still good for you, try some yoghurt with fruit for example, or a square or two of dark chocolate (unless starting to eat it will set you into binge mode!), There are several per-packaged desserst like puddings and icecreams that come in under 150cals (think skinny cow or weightwatchers), or if you have a good tasting protein powder I will have this as a desert shake at the end of the day sometimes.

The important thing is just to save enough calories so you can have something and have no need to feel guilty about it!

Hope that helps.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    Have you tried having dessert in smaller amounts? I personally don't avoid dessert. I work it into my calories for the day and enjoy it without guilt.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    i don't...i have a small one each night :)
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I could never avoid!!

I just alter my dessert choices... dessert for me now is usually 2 dark chocolate hershey kisses or a 100 cal vitamuffin... something like that. I love having something sweet after dinner!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I don't... I just eat something good for me. Tonight after my meal when I was craving something sweet, I had a few dried dates and one thin mint. Usually I just have some fruit though, sometimes with yogurt, or maybe a bowl of oatmeal depending on if I get hungry later in the evening.

If nothing else, try brushing your teeth. I find the minty flavor makes me not want to eat anything.
  • judybrim
    judybrim Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'd plan a little bit in just to be able to enjoy that "sweet" you like...that way the cravings won't kill you. It's a great motivator for working out just a little bit more, too! :D
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I don't even try. I have a such a sweet tooth that my husband would be most unhappy if he had to deal with me sans dessert! Lol

I buy 90 calorie fiber one fudge brownies, frozen yogurt (about 120 cal for half cup) and 80 cal granola thins. I always save at least 200 calories for desert (enough for 2 brownies or yogurt with a small topping...or a lil over a serving)
  • AngieCook09
    AngieCook09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like to have frozen fruit bars 80-120 cals and there are really good. Also, weight watchers makes some little dessert dishes around 140 cals.

My day can't be over without something sweet :)
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't. That doesn't end well for me.

^^This!! My husband will ask me: honey, did you eat your dessert?? He knows that a night without a sweety isn't a good thing. :smooched:
  • shwoody17
    shwoody17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Problem is I want dessert after every meal not just dinner... And yes once I start I can/will eat way more than one portion... I can be completely full & know I'm full but in about 15 minutes while still full, I get a BIG sugar craving.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    eat less carbs and fat durring the meal in order to save those macros for after the meal.
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Can you just do a healthier or lighter dessert? If so I have a few ideas.
    -chop up an apple, sprinkle liberally with cinnamon and splenda, and microwave for a minute or two
    -freeze a banana, then put into a blender or food processor for 'ice cream'
    -mix plain greek yogurt with splenda. dip fruit into.
    -piece of dark chocolate
    -frozen red grapes
    -diet hot chocolate
    -sherbet/ sorbet

If you want to skip it completely, coffee or hot tea is a nice ending to a meal. Just watch what you add (sugar, syrups, creamers).