Extremely picky eater; HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• angelashay42
    Options
    I eat things I don't like all the time because they're good for me. I've never understood picky eaters.

I've never understood what the point is to eating something I hate. That would be like buying clothes you hate because they are cheap or buying a car you hate because it gets better gas mileage.

I don't know about you, but I won't buy clothes I hate nor would I buy a car based strictly on the gas mileage. Why on earth eat stuff you don't like? Because they're good for me? Seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

You shouldn't eat anything you hate, but in some situations it is important to eat something you don't like. What if you don't like any vegetables at all and only like candy? Does that mean it's ok for you to only eat candy? I also don't like getting up at 5am and going to work, does that mean I should quit my job and be homeless? Sometimes eating things you don't like is necessary for your health, especially if there aren't any alternatives to give you the nutrients you need.
    I am a vegetarian. I need protein. So sometimes I have to eat protien powder or legumes or tofu, all of which I don't hate but don't necessarily love, in order to get sufficient protein.

I'm not eating stuff I don't like. End of story. There's just no possible way. If you don't like something and don't want to eat it, don't. A lot of people don't like different foods and don't eat them. I can not stand broccoli and quite honestly, any nutritional value it has is lost on me because I don't like the taste, the texture or anything else about it. Do I care if it offers up this vitamin or that vitamin? Nope. I honestly couldn't care less. I'll find something else that that I DO like that perhaps offers me the same benefits.

As for your job, if you don't want to get up at 5am for work - find a new job. Same idea as not eating something you don't like. Find something else. There are a lot of fruits and veggies (or whatever) out there - find something you DO like and eat that instead.

I've been picky my entire life and I'm quite healthy without forcing myself to consume things that disgust me.

I think you're missing the point. I'm not talking about you not liking broccoli. I'm saying that in certain situations, (probably not your situation) where it is not wrong to eat something you don't particulartly like, nor absolutely hate. That is all.

I don't believe that vitamins provide our bodies with all the proper nutrients we could get out of a balanced diet. Many so-called "complete" vitamins do not have sufficient iron or calcium for women, and they have no protein or fiber. So, in my opinion, people should incorporate some vegetables into their diets if they value their well-being.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Picky or selective? :smile:

Research has shown that it often takes multiple times of trying a new food before you grow to like it.

In the meantime, you can find plenty of things you like, I bet.

You haven't told us anything about what you like and don't like, so it's sort of hard to make better suggestions, but here are a few things to think about...

Some food dislikes are based on an allergy or other problem digesting a food.

Some foods can easily be "disguised" or incorporated into other foods you like. For instance, I don't like many vegetables plain, but put them into something like lasagna or an omelette and the vegetables are improved as well as the dish they are in.

If you don't like meat, try other proteins, tofu (which picks up flavors from the things it's cooked with), eggs, peanut butter.

If you like sweet things, try fruit, cooked onions, a small amount of sugar on the surface, licorice.

If you like hot foods, lots of spices add very few calories. And they may reduce your appetite - enjoy!

If you say more about what you don't like or what you're trying to incorporate into your food habits, the people on this message board can probably provide more help.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you like Lamb...I love it, because I get bored. Just grill or broil. and sautee some fresh veggies w/garlic. so good! I sauteed in olive oil, fresh garlic and seasoned lightly w/Mccormicks steak seasoning

Been focusing on more fresh veggies. Love the Korean Fresh Market. Very affordable and yummy! Such good flavor! You can pick your veggies. Also, I love fruit smoothies, quick and easy. Add some spinach for greens :)

r94bc2.jpg

happy journey!
  • NamiObsidian
    Options
    I'm rather picky, as well. I've found it helpful to limit my portion sizes. So far, I've lost a bit of weight doing that while still eating things I like.

You need to exercise, though, or else it won't work! Believe me, I know. :cry:

But I still need to eat healthier. I like carbs and sweets WAAAYYYYY too much, and I don't eat many veggies and fruits.

Fruits I like: Peaches, cherries, strawberries, green grapes, bananas, pears (sometimes)

Veggies I like (none raw except yellow squash): carrots, potatoes (starchy!), corn (starchy again!), zucchini, yellow squash
  • Robin_Bin
    Options
    sweet tasting vegetables: well cooked onions (especially some varieties like Videla), tomatoes, sweet bell peppers and some mushrooms (when cooked), fresh corn, sweet potatoes, cooked carrots

curries and other spicy-sweet dishes can also incorporate other vegetables
  • Robin_Bin
    Options
    Another set of options...

for people who prefer bland foods: cous cous (whole wheat), oatmeal, plain boiled potatoes, Monterey jack cheese

if you like "rich" foods, try putting chick peas in a blender to thicken things like soup, low fat yogurt (can often be substituted for sour cream, but if calories and fat aren't a concern, go for the sour cream :smile:)
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    my suggestion is hit the blogs....all the food blogs...subscribe to them and let them point you in the right direction.

skinnytaste.com
    acouplecooks.com
    naturallyella.com
    thesassygourmet.com
    perrysplate.com
    lindawagner.com
    graciouspantry.com
    loveandlemons.com

I use them all to give me ideas...and if i see a recipe where the "idea" is something I like but not the ingredients I substitute.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    my suggestion is hit the blogs....all the food blogs...subscribe to them and let them point you in the right direction.

skinnytaste.com
    acouplecooks.com
    naturallyella.com
    thesassygourmet.com
    perrysplate.com
    lindawagner.com
    graciouspantry.com
    loveandlemons.com

NICE !!!

I use them all to give me ideas...and if i see a recipe where the "idea" is something I like but not the ingredients I substitute.
  • Robin_Bin
    Options
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I eat things I don't like all the time because they're good for me. I've never understood picky eaters.

I've never understood what the point is to eating something I hate. That would be like buying clothes you hate because they are cheap or buying a car you hate because it gets better gas mileage.

I don't know about you, but I won't buy clothes I hate nor would I buy a car based strictly on the gas mileage. Why on earth eat stuff you don't like? Because they're good for me? Seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

You shouldn't eat anything you hate, but in some situations it is important to eat something you don't like. What if you don't like any vegetables at all and only like candy? Does that mean it's ok for you to only eat candy? I also don't like getting up at 5am and going to work, does that mean I should quit my job and be homeless? Sometimes eating things you don't like is necessary for your health, especially if there aren't any alternatives to give you the nutrients you need.
    I am a vegetarian. I need protein. So sometimes I have to eat protien powder or legumes or tofu, all of which I don't hate but don't necessarily love, in order to get sufficient protein.

I'm not eating stuff I don't like. End of story. There's just no possible way. If you don't like something and don't want to eat it, don't. A lot of people don't like different foods and don't eat them. I can not stand broccoli and quite honestly, any nutritional value it has is lost on me because I don't like the taste, the texture or anything else about it. Do I care if it offers up this vitamin or that vitamin? Nope. I honestly couldn't care less. I'll find something else that that I DO like that perhaps offers me the same benefits.

As for your job, if you don't want to get up at 5am for work - find a new job. Same idea as not eating something you don't like. Find something else. There are a lot of fruits and veggies (or whatever) out there - find something you DO like and eat that instead.

I've been picky my entire life and I'm quite healthy without forcing myself to consume things that disgust me.

I think you're missing the point. I'm not talking about you not liking broccoli. I'm saying that in certain situations, (probably not your situation) where it is not wrong to eat something you don't particulartly like, nor absolutely hate. That is all.

I don't believe that vitamins provide our bodies with all the proper nutrients we could get out of a balanced diet. Many so-called "complete" vitamins do not have sufficient iron or calcium for women, and they have no protein or fiber. So, in my opinion, people should incorporate some vegetables into their diets if they value their well-being.

I agree with this. I want to have a long and healthy life. I do take some supplements but don't think they can replace good quality food. I was/am able to open my mind and try new things because I heard such great things about the foods--nutritionally and/or regarding taste. While I was at it I found that I do enjoy more fruits and veggies than just corn and bananas (what I ate as a kid). Try them more than once and cooked in a variety of ways. There are some things I still don't like but for once that list is smaller than the list of things I do like.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

Honestly? I think you are too set in your thinking to realize that not everyone feels that they should have to eat something in order to have a well balanced diet. I honestly don't care if anyone else chooses to eat something they don't like because they think it has a health benefit to it. I, however, do not agree with that and don't see that my way of thinking - for me - is wrong. For me, trying to convince me to eat something I KNOW I don't like simply because it has some sort of health benefit is wrong. If you want to do it, great. But, it doesn't mean everyone should do it. But, it really annoys picky eaters when other people tell them "Oh for heaven's sake - just eat it! It is good for you" or "you won't die if you TRY it".

There's just no possible way I'm gagging some nasty thing I don't want to eat simply because someone else thinks it is best for me. Considering how healthy I am overall, I'm pretty sure there's NO reason why I should force myself to eat something.
  • ashley67203
    Options

Honestly? I think you are too set in your thinking to realize that not everyone feels that they should have to eat something in order to have a well balanced diet. I honestly don't care if anyone else chooses to eat something they don't like because they think it has a health benefit to it. I, however, do not agree with that and don't see that my way of thinking - for me - is wrong. For me, trying to convince me to eat something I KNOW I don't like simply because it has some sort of health benefit is wrong. If you want to do it, great. But, it doesn't mean everyone should do it. But, it really annoys picky eaters when other people tell them "Oh for heaven's sake - just eat it! It is good for you" or "you won't die if you TRY it".

There's just no possible way I'm gagging some nasty thing I don't want to eat simply because someone else thinks it is best for me. Considering how healthy I am overall, I'm pretty sure there's NO reason why I should force myself to eat something.

I do buy and wear clothes I hate because we have a dress code at work. I drive the smallest car on the block because of its awesome gas mileage. I also exercise twice a day and I hate that, too.

We all do things for different reasons. I've watched several of my family members die from obesity-related diseases. My father is currently dying from diabetes and congestive heart failure. The doctor says it's because he never exercised or ate properly. So yeah, I do things I hate because I love the results.
  • nancella56
    Options
    I can relate and understand completely your dilemma with food. I also am a very " picky eater" . As a child I was forced to eat certain foods which were " good for me" resulting in huge food battles . Theres now research into the psychological reasons behind this and I have seen it labeled Selective Eating Disorder ( try googling it). I dont think most people realise its not just being a bit fussy and not wanting to eat this or that , but finding the food so repulsive as to be completely impossible to eat. Most of the people I have met who have this problem arent being difficult, in fact would dearly love to overcome this issue. Keep trying to eat the fruit, veg and meat you do find palatable , take vitamins, attempt new foods where possible or changing the texture of things you cant eat now. I find texture is a big part of the foods I dislike. Keep trying !
  • kimmeyjo
    kimmeyjo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like veggies. The only veggie I eat is corn. The majority of veggies make me vomit so there is no need to eat them if they come back up. And I haven't found a way to hide them in my foods yet so I don't notice them.
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    What if someone "doesn't like" vegetables? Does that mean they should forgo all the nutrients in them and never eat vegetables because they can't stand a few minutes of discomfort for the good of their body?

I do. I pretty much can't ever remember eating any vegetables growing up. My parents said they tried every trick in the book to get me to eat them, but nothing worked. I'm in my 30's and have survived relatively well without them. Vitamins are a beautiful thing...... oh, and I also don't eat Beef or any type of Seafood. Never have, never will.

And the technical term for a "Picky" Eater is a Disordered Eater. It's actually pretty common.

And to the OP, def try AllRecipes.com. I love that site.

I saw a show about a girl that only ate french fries. She died.

I saw a show about a girl who took care of herself & ate only things that were good for her. She died.
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, there are alot of good tips here. This is the first time I ever had to lose weight so I'm really learning as I go. I've litterally gone days without eating before because I don't like the food be served, so I know, for me, forcing myself won't work (I wish it would). Thanks to my fellow "picky" eaters your an inspiration.
  • wifeygrooms
    Options
    What if someone "doesn't like" vegetables? Does that mean they should forgo all the nutrients in them and never eat vegetables because they can't stand a few minutes of discomfort for the good of their body?
    Yes I do think they should not eat them it they don't like them!!! I'm not going to make anyone eat something they don't like!!!! And i know no one will me either...With that being said I don't like vegtables but I know there are others ways to get nutrients!!!
  • emilyhwithlove
    Options
    try blending some spinach/other veggies into a fruit smoothie. you won't be able to tell with tons of fruit in there :)