Seriously Getting Depressed

Options
I went to the doctor's on Thursday and found out that I do not weight 140, that I weight 147. Already I knew I had gained weight from the summer (134 at my lowest, but I was probably actually 141 *sigh*) and I have been trying to get down to 125 since I can remember. I have been trying and trying working for months at a time and never could see any results except for bloating and water weight. I have done all sorts of things like becoming vegetarian, eating super super healthy all the time, eating nothing, eating kind of healthy, eating whatever, and I have done each of these for months on end. Nothing ever happens. I will try exercise routines: weights, P90X, Insanity, 30DS, circuit training, running, running stairs, yoga, pilates, the list is never ending and I NEVER SEE RESULTS OF ANY KIND. I have been slowly becoming seriously depressed about my weight to a point where an eating disorder seems more logical than what I've been trying.

I'm not trying to throw a pity party for myself nor do I want sympathy, but has anyone ever had this never ending feeling and their weight controls them? Because right now, my weight is controlling me.

Replies

• jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Would you consider opening your food diary? If we look at it, it may help. Are you drinking enough water? Eating too much sodium? Eating back your exercise calories? Don't give up, it may need to be just tweaked a bit....
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I UNDERSTAND! COMPLETELY AND LET ME TELL YOU IT IS NOT THE WAY TO GO!

In high school I did it. Was so depressed because I was FAT and wanted to lose weight and never happened no matter how hard I tried. I started to slowly become an angry and introverted person, ate NOTHING except gum and water. And when people commented about why i wasnt eating i would say "i ate a big breakfast". This didnt make me happy at all nor did i lose weight. I got sick though and slipped in to a worse depression that Im still struggling to get out of. Oh by the way I gained more weight and got bigger. Yeahhh that helped.

I tell you this to say that losing weight is NOT easy but becoming a healthier person and being at a healthy weight is WORTH THE FIGHT. Maybe you need to consult with a trainer and dietitian who can properly help you be on a eating plan that will benefit you in your goals.

Remember every scale is different and depending on what time of day you weigh yourself it will fluctuate. DONT WORRY! As long as you stay within a 2 lb radius no biggie. Also some scales need to be reset and therefore will be off.....

be healthy and be happy! Workout the SMART WAY. Eat smarter not harder....

hope this helps :)
  • jvansyckel
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is stop worrying about the scale!! And don't focus on that number down the road (125) Set a goal.. set your self a small achievable goal. Like maybe.... I will stay with in my calorie goal for this week, or.. I will do 30 minutes of exercise this week. And then go from there.

There are non scale victories you can achieve to boost your confidence

Create a menu with filling foods that are high in protein and fiber. Grapes vs. Raisins. Make sure you eat through out the day, Breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Don't give up, you can do this.
  • pat6250
    pat6250 Posts: 90
    Options
    You have tried everything! Now, try one or two things, but stick to it until you lose a pound. Then another. Baby steps, darling! I have found that MFP helps me to be honest about what I am actually eating, and if I consume all of my allowed calories (and I get extras to eat for exercise) I am hardly ever hungry. That is, IF the calories I ate were well balanced food, and not lots of cake and coffee :laugh: The allowed calories will help you shed a pound per week. Yes, that is slow, but you are young, and you will have many, many years to enjoy being at your goal weight. And by the time you get to your goal weight, you will have put some great habits in place, and you will be able to maintain it. Who deserves that more than you? In the middle of the day, I use MFP to help me decide what to eat for dinner. I enter what I want to eat, and if it is a good calorie load, that is what I have. If it is not, I delete it and re-think it. Sometimes I find that I can add a glass of wine or a couple of cookies. Alas, sometimes, I cannot. But MFP helps me be clear about what I can have. And it encourages me to exercise so I can have more to eat. :bigsmile: Make your plan, then stick to it. If your progress is slow, don't be discouraged, because slow progress is still PROGRESS! Be gentle with yourself, because when you get down on yourself, you get depressed. To help yourself :eat right, get enough rest, encourage yourself, think positive thoughts. :wink:
  • nightnurse2
    nightnurse2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You have tried everything! Now, try one or two things, but stick to it until you lose a pound. Then another. Baby steps, darling! I have found that MFP helps me to be honest about what I am actually eating, and if I consume all of my allowed calories (and I get extras to eat for exercise) I am hardly ever hungry. That is, IF the calories I ate were well balanced food, and not lots of cake and coffee :laugh: The allowed calories will help you shed a pound per week. Yes, that is slow, but you are young, and you will have many, many years to enjoy being at your goal weight. And by the time you get to your goal weight, you will have put some great habits in place, and you will be able to maintain it. Who deserves that more than you? In the middle of the day, I use MFP to help me decide what to eat for dinner. I enter what I want to eat, and if it is a good calorie load, that is what I have. If it is not, I delete it and re-think it. Sometimes I find that I can add a glass of wine or a couple of cookies. Alas, sometimes, I cannot. But MFP helps me be clear about what I can have. And it encourages me to exercise so I can have more to eat. :bigsmile: Make your plan, then stick to it. If your progress is slow, don't be discouraged, because slow progress is still PROGRESS! Be gentle with yourself, because when you get down on yourself, you get depressed. To help yourself :eat right, get enough rest, encourage yourself, think positive thoughts. :wink:

Excellant post!
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Trying all of those things seems like overkill to me. Try only one thing and keep at it. It seems like your problem is that if you don't seem immediate results, you give up and "try" something new. Stick with diet and exercise. And don't quit.
  • emilyhwithlove
    Options
    NEVER eat below 1200 calories if you are expecting weight loss. Your body goes into starvation mode and clings on to all of the food (FAT!) it can get. Make sure you are eating enough during the day, with enough variety. Good luck, you can do this! :)