Protein shakes

Options
I started taking protein shakes yesterday. I woke up today with nausea and one hell of a headache. It feels like a hangover haha :( The nausea went away mid day but the headache will not. I read up that it may be my body not used to the extreme vitamin intake. Does your body get used to this over time? When will this horrible feeling go away?

Replies

• BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    I personally have never had any side effects of protein shakes. I take 3/day and never had this happen to me. Sounds like it could be something else are you taking anything else besides the protein?
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I get sick to my stomach from some protein powders. Might be you are allergic?
  • lmc536
    lmc536 Posts: 9
    Options
    Well ive only had one so far. I put 2 scoops of protein powder, a pouch of this flavoring stuff in it, some milk and a whole banana
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Never had any issues, and with everything from whey to hemp and all those in between. My migraines are usually triggered by barometric pressure changes. I would try it again and see what the results are tomorrow.
  • MistyboBisty
    Options
    I drink one every day as well, and have never had this issue. Maybe just a bug
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Never had an issue either. Perhaps you are allergic to something in it or it was something else completely unrelated to the protein shake?
  • pattan59801
    pattan59801 Posts: 142
    Options
    Well ive only had one so far. I put 2 scoops of protein powder, a pouch of this flavoring stuff in it, some milk and a whole banana

why 2 scoops?
  • Nu_Mel
    Nu_Mel Posts: 48
    Options
    I also have 3 a day and never have a problem with them. What was the pouch of flavouring stuff??
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking plenty of water?

Was it whey protein or was it some crazy shakeology, body by vi, complete nutrition chemlab experiment?
  • lmc536
    Options
    It was the the body by vi shake haha. I put 2 scoops in it because thats what it tells me to do on the package
  • cbarns
    cbarns Posts: 19
    Options
    Protein intake should be around 30% of your total calorie intake. any higher and you begin to feel nauseating and can lead to diarrhea. also make sure u get plenty of water with alot of protein intake
  • lthacks
    lthacks Posts: 15
    Options
    What kind of protein are you taking? could be the brand.
  • lthacks
    lthacks Posts: 15
    Options
    It was the the body by vi shake haha. I put 2 scoops in it because thats what it tells me to do on the package

That's what I used to take. Never did a good thing for me.

I switched to Isopure Vanilla or Cookies and Cream or Isosensation 93 Cafe Brazil. Only good things now, like more muscle building and no stomach aches.
  • TelliWelli
    Options
    I would look further into the ingredients in the particular protein powder you are using. I have never gotten headaches from protein shakes per say, however, I have gotten headaches from a severe reduction of carbs while drinking solely protein shakes. It sounds like a carb reduction is not the case since you only drank one. So again, maybe it is something in that particular shake. It is not the norm to get headaches from protein shakes themselves. Maybe something else is going on. Allergies have been giving me horrible headaches this past week. Good luck in figuring out what the headache culprit is!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options

maybe you are allergic to an ingredient? i've never had an issue with protein powders. my sister is vegan and is very selective about the ones she uses (rice protein) vs whey which is obviously sourced from milk. maybe you have a soy allergy?? might look into the ingredient list a little more.
  • cheerocracy
    cheerocracy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    what type of protein shake is it? vegetable? whey? I've never had an issue with whey protein isolate shakes and I've taken it for years. On the other hand I found that vegetable based protein shakes make me nauseous, but I think its because of the taste. Look at the ingredients, maybe you're allergic to something? or could be something else you ate that day/ might be getting sick/ other factors. Id say try it one more time when you feel better and see if it happens again.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Maybes you need to up your water more? Try Whey isolate...its supposed to be better than just whey protein.
    Hope you feel better soon!
  • zumbagirlwf
    zumbagirlwf Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am a promoter for body by vi and I personally have never had issues with them. I love them and If I miss my shakes I actually get sick. I have never felt better.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I assume you consumed some today, let us know how you feel in the morning.

There are a ton of factors.
  • lmc536
    Options
    Yep, there is soy in the product. Maybe I am allergic to it. Who knows. I will see how I feel tomorrow and I will report back haha :)