Why Is It Some People...

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
Can have a little bit of chocolate, cookie, cake, ice cream, and stop, yet for others it leads to a vicious cycle of craving more and more to great intensity?

I am wondering if it comes down to intolerances of things like dairy and wheat that causes this sort of issue, as much as it comes down to an emotional component.

I find it I eat mostly fish, rice, veggies, yoghurt, rice cakes, nuts and seeds, I don't crave chocolate, ice cream and such things hardly at all and am in much better control but it only takes one slice of bread, or a bit of pastry or chocolate, and I am battling intense cravings for days afterwards.

It sometimes feels so bloody unfair. My mother can eat just 2 chocolates a night, and put the rest away and does not crave desserts at all, but when I see the dessert menu, I go into overdrive, battling in my mind between eating what I really want to eat, and choosing something based on the lower calories.

Replies

• hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    In my case it was just a bad mindset.

In the past, I would say "I need to lose weight, I need to eat 100% clean, I can't have cake, I can't have ice cream, rah rah rah". This would work for one month, maybe two... and then something would happen and I'd eat a slice of cake. And then I'd feel guilty "Oh no I blew it! I'm so weak! I can't believe I can't do this!" whic would lead me to "Oh well, I might as well just eat another slice of cake and start again tomorrow". And then maybe tomorrow came and maybe it was a week, two weeks, three weeks... Yo yo dieting all over the place.

Now I see things much differently. Now I know that nobody can be perfect 100% of the time and it's not reasonable to expect it. I allow myself splurges. They're built in and so they don't lead to the whole "I'm such a failure!" downward spiral.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Its not really about wanting to be 100%. You would like to eat just 2 chocolates but some people can't seem to stop at 2 and it reignites cravings. This is a good article among other things, cue exposure:

"Cue exposure can also be used to weaken the our response to powerful stimuli. Here we tap into the complexity of the cue network. In real life, each unconditioned stimulus tends to be associated not just with a single stimulus but with with a whole set of conditioned stimuli or cues, which I will call the cue network.

A great example is our appetite and eating behavior. The unconditioned response of food cravings results not only from the mere presence of food, but from the whole set of sensory cues that precede it and coincide with it, and are sequenced over time. This includes the immediate flavor, the appearance, the aroma prior to eating, preparation of the food, the social situation, the time of day, etc. We will only partially succeed in extinction or counter-conditioning if we focus only on just the most obvious or immediate unconditioned stimulus, e.g. the food itself. We must also deal with all the auxiliary, contextual clues.

The best way to do this is to deliberately expose ourselves to these cues without allowing any reinforcement. We should go up to the food, look at it, smell it, and spend time with the person preparing it. We can visit the bakery, walk through good restaurants and markets, all without eating.

This is the opposite of the usual advice to dieters: clear your refrigerator and pantry of tempting food, or go off to a “fat farm” to lose weight without temptation. You are then failing to learn how to avoid responding to the full set of problem cues in the most realistic context that they are likely to occur."
    http://gettingstronger.org/psychology/
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I was mindlessly shoveling ice cream in my mouth as I read this. :embarassed: Just reading it was enough to make me stop what I was doing, so I thank you for that! I've found that I go through phases. Today has been a bad carb craving day (obviously). I thought I would be able to restrain myself and only have one serving. I guess I'm not to that point yet, but you know what? We recognize that there is a problem. Here's hoping we can find a solution before we both go crazy! :drinker:
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was all set to go to bed, feeling proud for not binge eating, when I found myself grabbing the green and black's organic dark chocolate bars I had got as dark chocolate is supposed to be harder to overdo... not applicable to me, it has sugar in it and that overrides any benefits. I long for such a day as I can have anything in my home, food wise, and be able to just have a little when I fancy it and stop after that little. :(
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    For me, the constant reminder that I can have it whenever I truly want it, helps me keep portions small. I used to be the same way and realized it stemmed from deprivation as a child growing up in a large family. When I got out on my own and could eat whatever I wanted I would binge often. Now I realize it will always be there and I can have it whenever I want. I practice mindful eating as well, this allows me to enjoy the experience rather than absently just devouring calories. The flavor of anything is always the strongest the first few bites, so I often now find that as soon as the pleasure starts to diminish I am fine putting the rest away. And lots of water before any indulgence helps me as well. :)
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    "I long for such a day as I can have anything in my home, food wise, and be able to just have a little when I fancy it and stop after that little. :("

That's why that link I posted may help - its a strategy to reverse the behaviour.

"This is the opposite of the usual advice to dieters: clear your refrigerator and pantry of tempting food, or go off to a “fat farm” to lose weight without temptation. You are then failing to learn how to avoid responding to the full set of problem cues in the most realistic context that they are likely to occur."
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I stay away from chocolate, even though I love it. I think it sends a message to my brain that says, "Heck yeah, this feeling is the best!" And then I eat way more and come back the next day or so for even more and so on.

Dumped it last year and haven't looked back since. Same goes for all sweets pretty much. (Soda too)
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Its not really about wanting to be 100%. You would like to eat just 2 chocolates but some people can't seem to stop at 2 and it reignites cravings. This is a good article among other things, cue exposure:

"Cue exposure can also be used to weaken the our response to powerful stimuli. Here we tap into the complexity of the cue network. In real life, each unconditioned stimulus tends to be associated not just with a single stimulus but with with a whole set of conditioned stimuli or cues, which I will call the cue network.

A great example is our appetite and eating behavior. The unconditioned response of food cravings results not only from the mere presence of food, but from the whole set of sensory cues that precede it and coincide with it, and are sequenced over time. This includes the immediate flavor, the appearance, the aroma prior to eating, preparation of the food, the social situation, the time of day, etc. We will only partially succeed in extinction or counter-conditioning if we focus only on just the most obvious or immediate unconditioned stimulus, e.g. the food itself. We must also deal with all the auxiliary, contextual clues.

The best way to do this is to deliberately expose ourselves to these cues without allowing any reinforcement. We should go up to the food, look at it, smell it, and spend time with the person preparing it. We can visit the bakery, walk through good restaurants and markets, all without eating.

This is the opposite of the usual advice to dieters: clear your refrigerator and pantry of tempting food, or go off to a “fat farm” to lose weight without temptation. You are then failing to learn how to avoid responding to the full set of problem cues in the most realistic context that they are likely to occur."

This makes sense!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I give myself permission to have whatever I want. I can now feel the difference between really wanting a piece of chocolate and just eating it out of habit. For me, that's what I need to do to keep this as a lifestyle and not a permanent deprivation.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I never bring ice cream into my home.....If I want it I will buy it as a treat when I'm out.......I only buy small chocloate bars another for one serving otherwise I would eat the whole lot at one sitting..............
  • Iamjulez
    Iamjulez Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think that's why they call it a sweet tooth lol. Some people have it, others don't. Some people crave other types of stuff.

Like, I don't drink soda, but I love a candy bar everynow and then. (Although I haven't had one in a long time and I'm doing pretty good with just my skinny cow desert every other night on my diet).

You should pay attention to your feelings when you're going for the chocolates. Has it been a bad day? Bad week? Are you upset? In other words, is it an emotional trigger?

It could be alot of things really... For me, ice cream and a funny movie always played a role in my childhood. Whenever my Dad wanted to do something fun, we would go get ice cream and rent a funny movie. So I grew up with it apart of everyday life. It wasn't until I had my first child and went through 2 years of gallbladder attacks (which I was told was back pain) and stones that I had to change my eating habits drastically.. I cut out ALOT of stuff.

So I don't crave things near as much. Cold turkey IS easier. Probably because it was an addiction. It made me FEEL GOOD and so when I didn't feel good, I wanted a piece of chocolate. Or a cookie, or a brownie lol or anything sweet. :) Pleasure thing, I guess.

I had a friend who used to save her halloween candy all year round and just eat a piece every now and then, my candy was usually gone within the first week! lol :) I guess some of us just have to practice self control more than others.
  • giantruss
    giantruss Posts: 100
    Options
    as a few have said,

i have found it easier by letting myself have some if i want, get a taste and stop!

i can take three days to eat a single choclate biscuit!! lol

sometimes i think the more that you completely try and stop yourself the more likely you are to fail.
    work it into your calories so you can have a little bit when you want.

i have lost forty pounds in 13 weeks and have a choclate biscuit most nights and at easter i went crazy with chocolate! ooops!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I found that for me, it was a fear of missing out. I would eat anything and everything I could. because if I didn't it would be like I wouldn't get it. It's hard, but I re-trained myself. Now, I store chocolate away in a certain place at home - I remind myself that if I don't eat it all, it will still be there another day. It's not going to disappear, so why the rush to eat it?

At work, there are always treats on offer. I remind myself that I don't need to fill up on them - the taste is the same whether I have 1 or 100, so I'll just take a couple of chocolates from a tin, or I'll buy a bag of something from our charity sweet stand and will take one or two from the bag and then hand out the rest. Even if most other people only want one, I can be sure there's always someone who'll love being given most of a bag.

Once it's in someone else's hands, it's out of reach and I can put it out of my mind. It's no longer up for grabs at the stand, so I'm no longer 'missing out' by not eating it.

So yes, train yourself to realise it's not going anywhere, or give it to someone else so it's no longer an option.
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    I just had two cheat days to try to shock my body out of a plateau and it's way more difficult to stick to my diet plan now!
  • Gelsemium
    Gelsemium Posts: 43
    Options
    I have the same problem. I find it very hard to stop after the first or second piece of chocolate... I don't understand why sometimes I'm craving it so much, like last night I ate 1/2 jar of chocolate. For me the solution is to keep food like this out of my house and buy one-serving treats every once in a while.

Everyone with this problem, please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • HappyHealthyDoll
    Options
    For me I sit there and think about why I want the food I am craving then I think of the healthier alternative. If the thinking doesn't work then I sit there and say to myself out load "you don't need this" over and over again until I'm so sick of saying it LOL usually by then I've forgotten I don't really want it :-) Willpower is a muscle and must be used.