I can't run, no matter what I do!

Options
2»

Replies

• 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You can check with your doctor, but there's nothing wrong with you. You are doing what every newbie does - running way too fast. The best advice I ever got was to slow down so much you feel like you're not moving. Then slow down more.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with the doctor check. Also, how fast are you running? You should run at a pace that you can still clearly speak....and then go 20% slower when you're just starting out. Running was such a mental road block from me. I thought, my GOD, I am going to die on this treadmill. I started the c25k (c25k.com) program and have really begun enjoying my runs. I used to go straight for the elliptical or arc trainer at the gym, now I get my run out first. Good luck to you!
  • pduckworth
    pduckworth Posts: 133
    Options
    I noticed this issue when I was in high school. Went do the doctor and found out that I had pretty bad asthma. Once I got an inhaler, I was able to run for larger periods of time and not get that strangling feeling. Took awhile to build endurance, but it eventually happened!

If you have medical insurance, I would definitely recommend going to your doctor just to make sure it isn't asthma.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I don't want to go to the doctor with this issue, primarily because I don't even know what my issue is...
    Sounds like the issue is that you're very unfit.

During your walks, try running SLOWLY for 15 seconds every day for a week, then up it to 30 seconds.
    If I keep at that 30 second thing, my chest starts to hurt as well.
    Your chest "hurts" and you're asking for advice from complete strangers on the internet?

If your chest actually HURTS go see a doctor tomorrow. If you're drama queening, suck it up and run for short periods (eg 15 seconds) until you're happy to start the Couch to 5K programme.
  • NickTrees
    NickTrees Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am out of breath. If I keep at that 30 second thing, my chest starts to hurt as well.
    1. Maybe you are just pushing too hard... instead of running hard just start at a slow jog and see how long you can keep that up.

2. Also, try to do something like... jogging for 15 seconds and spending a minute walking and recovering and go again. This will help you get a lot of running done. If you only do this for ten minutes then you have jogged for 2.5 minutes of it. Eventually you will be able to sustain longer runs.

3. Work of breathing and letting your stomach fill with air before puffing it back out.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Have your doctor check you for breathing issues. If they don't find anything and you continue to have this problem...maybe try something else besides running (biking, hiking, swimming are just a few that come to mind). Ya don't have to run to be fit.

And you might be surprised...do some of those at high intensity for a while and you might find yourself better able to run if that's what you want to do.

I can't run because decades of major obesity trashed my right knee. I hike. I love it. I burn huge calories, I kick my heart rate in the butt. So what if I can't run.
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Have you tried being really intentional about your breathing? It can be tempting to hold your breath while running. I've been running about 2.5 months now and still have to put some thought into my breathing pattern. I breath in for two steps and out for two steps. I'm sure there are other patterns but that's what works best for me. I've been using C25K and have built up to 28 minutes of running. It works.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    have you tried cycling??
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    letting your stomach fill with air before puffing it back out.
    *BELCH!*

*PARP!* :bigsmile:

You might want to rethink that advice...
  • aheartbeatsos
    Options
    See a doctor first to see if there is an underlying cause that could be treated.
    Other than that I would say keep at it!
    I was never able to get past a minute at this would discourage me and I'd give up for a while
    but lately I've learned persistence is key!
    Doesn't matter if I'm bent over gasping for breath like I ran a marathon after 15 minutes, if I can do 15 seconds more after two weeks of training I'm getting somewhere!
  • dododo123
    dododo123 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I was trying to run pretty fast I guess. I really appreciate all the comments and I will consider the couch to 5k thing. :)
  • pknanne
    pknanne Posts: 9
    Options
    I see that someone else has already suggested asthma. I was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma as a teen and what this basically means is that if I know that I am going to be running to saying going to a Zumba class that I need an inhaler. My son also suffers from this. I suggest that you go to your doctor about this, don't keep trying to run without seeing your doctor. It can be dangereous.