Stationary bike not as effective as Outdoor bike?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
I have noticed my weight is much better controlled when I go biking outdoors, even though I get the same calorie burn cycling indoors, for less time. I cannot for the life of me figure out why this is, as I sweat a lot more on the indoor bike. Given the weather here is miserable right now, with a lot of rain, and I have no gym membership, I have no idea what I can do for exercise that will actually help with my weight, which has climbed over my goal a bit due to a short break with my mum.

Any ideas?

Replies

• skittles8810
    Options
    Do short bursts of speed like : jumping jack to the push up and then the squat.. do this a set of 3 and intensity of I cant breathe.. and then rest for 10 secs and repeat.. do for about 15-20 mins.. it works great! You can incorporate any exercise you want but make it like 3 exercise in a row.. then bump up intensity when you get used to it.. until you can ride outside anyhow..
    hope this helps!
  • cdtoms
    cdtoms Posts: 6
    Options
    If your stuck inside, one of the best ways to burn extra calories is to dance! Dance as you clean, dance as your cook, or even dance for no reason. Dancing around will also improve your mood and coordination. Singing, if you dare, also burns a lot of calories. Good Luck!
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I find that I ride for longer at a more relaxed pace outdoors and spin class is high intensity. The slower pace burns a high percentage of fat and intense spinning burns more overall calories. Some of which are muscles being eaten to keep up the intensity.

You'll burn only slightly less calories outside do to natural wind resistance. Plus being outside is far more interesting and not the drudgery of being trapped inside. Natural terrain has it's own built in intervals,hills.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Real bike riding uses your core muscles for balance
  • michelechavez
    Options
    I dont't know whether it makes a difference losing weight-wise or not to ride indoors or outdoors, but indoors is so incredibly BORING. jsf70's reply about using your core muscles for balance does sound logical.

If you can, check out the Clif Bar 2-mile Challenge, which starts up again at the beginning of May. You can combine riding with saving the planet.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Real bike riding uses your core muscles for balance

I agree especially if you're using a mountain bike & into the bumpy surface.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Yes, my cycles often include bumpy paths, and hilly roads, in fact, I would say 70% of my journeys is some sort of incline, and I am on a fairly heavy hybrid bike, so it takes a lot of effort for me, especially with damaged lungs.
    I much prefer cycling outdoors, but in torrential rain, it isn't really such an option for me, and I have failed to find an alternative that has the same effect on my weight.