And I just tore my ACL...

Options
Of course...now that I'm less than 15 lbs away from goal, I tore my ACL playing beach volleyball (last thursday). My knee buckled sideways, I heard a pop, pop, pop and next thing I know I'm in an ambulance.

On my way to the ER, I found myself crying not because it hurt (which it did like a mofo...thanks, Percocet!) but because I was so heartbroken...I immediately knew what this meant: I have been sidelined for at least 4 months!

I will keep eating clean and keeping my diary, but exercise (heavy lifting and cardio and spinning and sweating hard Oh my!) had become such an integral part of how I felt GOOD about myself on a day-to-day basis that now, I'm feeling really lost.

I'm moping...and I never mope. *Sigh* Lost, lost, lost. Bored and lost.

Replies

• Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    So sorry. I injured my hip a few years ago (I was a runner). The past few years have been an emotional roller coaster for me. Its so hard - I'm not gonna sugar coat it.

For me running was (1) a way to stay healthy and fit (2) an emotional/stress release (3) a social outlet - I ran with friends and we traveled to races together (4) it was away for me to set and meet goals and feel good about myself. It was VERY important to me. When my injury took that away, it was more difficult than I imagined.

Best of luck to you. Take it slow. Find some one you can talk to. IMHO, doctors over-promise and under-deliver - so take what they say with a grain of salt.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I tore my ACL in 2007. Once you start physical therapy they can tell you you what you can do exercise wise. I was able to ride the stationary bike while I was in PT, so that was probably less then a month after my surgery. From there I was walking on the treadmill, which is really important to rebuilding the muscle strength and also to restoring your gait.

A lot also depends on if you use your own tissue for the reconstruction or if you use donor tissue. I used donor tissue.

You will be weak and in pain immediately following the surgery and in all honesty you probably won't want to eat much.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I would more than happy to share more about my experience. Honestly at this point I have zero issues with that knee.
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Tore mine in 2008. Had 2 surgeries as i tore my MCL as well and it took close to nine months full recovery b/w the two but back and fitter now than before. I remember focusing on lifting upper body and other ways to keep active and fit. Good luck!
  • Bobbydigitalx
    Options
    CUT MY FINGER AT WORK! HAD TO STOP P90X. Im good to go start tomorrow! and im pumped. IM going full force!
  • maruxf
    maruxf Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks everybody!

I will certainly focus on my upper body and maybe this is naive, but if PT includes a bike then I'm looking forward to PT!

I guess I need to put this injury into perspective...part of the journey...and remind myself that as much as the goals are important what I learn getting THERE is just as important if not more so.

=)
  • morning_lori
    morning_lori Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I tore mine in early December, and had my reconstruction surgery at the beginning of January. I can completely relate as I had been really doing great at my cardio/conditioning workouts, felt like I was strong and fit - really loving my health and was feeling strong enough to kick my workouts up and started Mauy Thai class (which is what I was doing when I tore mine). My workouts were also my social part of my day.

The first week was hard, since I was so dependent on others and I couldn't do anything but stay in bed/on the recliner with my leg propped with the ice machine or in the CPM. I started PT as soon as I could, and it was so humbling how in just 1-2 weeks, how much strength I lost in my quads and legs. I have been doing PT twice/week ever since, and have been able to rebuild my muscles and stability.

When I was cleared to ride the bike at 6weeks post op, I started back at my cardio conditining class - modified, of course, riding the bike and focusing on upperbody/core. As I have progressed in PT, my trainer has been working in some of those exercises into my conditioning class. I'd say that I am at 85% of normal right now - I think I will be cleared to start running/jogging some at the end of this week.

Just take it nice and easy, as you recover - my dr has a conservative protocol, which is frustrating (especially around 2.5-3 months out) because you feel good and want to push, but there is still a lot of healing going on inside. Work on what you can, do all the PT you are allowed and you will be back at it before you know it...I knew that just being somewhat active helped in the loss that I felt when I had change the way I had been living and readjust to my new normal.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Of course...now that I'm less than 15 lbs away from goal, I tore my ACL playing beach volleyball (last thursday). My knee buckled sideways, I heard a pop, pop, pop and next thing I know I'm in an ambulance.

On my way to the ER, I found myself crying not because it hurt (which it did like a mofo...thanks, Percocet!) but because I was so heartbroken...I immediately knew what this meant: I have been sidelined for at least 4 months!

I will keep eating clean and keeping my diary, but exercise (heavy lifting and cardio and spinning and sweating hard Oh my!) had become such an integral part of how I felt GOOD about myself on a day-to-day basis that now, I'm feeling really lost.

I'm moping...and I never mope. *Sigh* Lost, lost, lost. Bored and lost.
    This sucks!
    Do you have a gym membership? Seek out a gym with a hand bike.
    You can get a good workout (and get rid of the bingo arms) by using a hand bike.

http://www.bayoufitness.com/stamina-elite-total-body-recumbent-bike-model-15-9100-398