thoughts about SPLENDA!

Options
2»

Replies

• moeviegrl
    moeviegrl Posts: 52
    Options

Thank you for being a skeptic. Also, WOW on your weight loss! Very impressive.

I'm always skeptical about very broad statements like that. Always. It's like saying 'Busses kill people' without explaining how a bus could possibly kill a person. Is it by riding too much? Standing behind and inhaling fumes? No, it's by being run over by the bus. Specifics count.

And thanks :smile:
    [/quote]
    I agree. Thanks for being a skeptic too. More people need to question statements and ask for proof in this world. Many don't and follow blindly. Good for you.

Also, I have always used splenda or aspartame in my coffee. Years ago, I found out that I get migraines if I consume alot of aspartame so I cut it out of my diet as much as possible. That said, splenda has never caused a headache for me and I continue to use it on a daily basis. However, I don't drink sodas. When I started my diet, I cut them out completely. I had, in the past, occasional had a soda here and there. When I was drinking sodas, I was always bloated. Once I stopped drinking them, the bloating stopped too. That goes for before the diet too. Drink soda, bloat. Drink tea and water, no bloat. So maybe that's why diet sodas are attributed to increasing weight because they can cause bloating in some people? Not sure, but just a thought.
  • diet4amy
    diet4amy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with artificial sweetners. The only thing I find is that when I use them even that in soda, I begin to crave sweets even more. So I try to stay away from them. There are so many natural sweets out there. It is just difficult to stick to the apples and grapes.:smile:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I've used aspartame since the early 80's and splenda since they started making it. I started mfp in January and I've lost over 30lbs so as far as weight loss is concerned, it certainly has not affected me!
    I'm not afraid of them. There are a lot of fear mongers out there. Use them, if they bother you, don't.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I hate splenda, it has a funky taste. I use stevia in the raw. It has its own taste, but I love it! It's not artificial either :smile:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I have used artificial sweeteners since Equal first came out. I like Splenda best. To me, they all have some degree of an aftertaste, but IMO Stevia is, by far, the worse aftertaste of all of them. I have eaten Splenda whenever I wanted and however much it took to get the results I wanted. I have never died or even felt sick from it. And; it's never made me eat out of control either. As far as one sweetener being better, health-wise, than another? Splenda is derived from sugar. Stevia is derived from a plant leaf. Nobody has proven one safer than the other, so I would say use whatever you think taste best.
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I love Splenda. I use it every day. I've done my research on it. I believe it's safe or I wouldn't use it.

I stay away from diet soda. It's full of Aspartame and it makes me depressed. I drink a glass of iced tea with splenda or water and add a 0 calorie flavor to it.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    This is an article I read last year about diet sodas and weight gain. You might want to check it out. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/29/diet-soda-weight-gain_n_886409.html

I read some of this article. The part that says drinkers of diet sodas had a 70% greater increase in waist circumference over 9.5 years is misleading. If a person isn't overweight, why would they drink diet soda? So, the people drinking diet soda were overweight and that's WHY they drank diet soda. They didn't have a bigger waistline BECAUSE they drank diet soda.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Splenda is horrible. It ran over my dog and seduced my wife.

Artificial sweeteners are perfectly healthy in moderation, provided you don't have an intolerance to them.
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Ideally, we eat whole, live, natural food and that includes sweeteners. Try yacon syrup, stevia (KAL liquid is pretty good)... there are many natural alternatives. I'm sure you can find something that works and would be good for your body. :-)
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    try Stevia, IT's all natural, zero cal substitute, plus, studies suggest it actually improves insulin resistance! :)
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I love splenda. I enjoy a couple cups of coffee and day and it really helps keeping the sugar and the calories from it away. I don't tell a difference from it and "real sugar".

I am a soda-holic and am in the process of trying to cut it out, so the diets really help.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    If you don't overindulge artificial sweeteners are fine.

The main supposed "issue" is that you may feel like eating after consuming them. If you don't have that problem they are fine.

That. I personally find the taste of Splenda nothing short of revolting (and can detect it in almost anything), but if you can stomach the stuff there's really no solid reasons to stay away from it.

And remember: "natural" is not a synonym for "good" despite what many people seem to believe.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    There was a thing on the news recently discussing how artificial sweeteners may contribute to diabetes because your taste buds taste sweet so your pancrease makes the insulin anyway...

Not too helpful.

I'm really sensitive to artificial sweeteners. They tend to give me headaches. But I have found Stevia (the drops...I can't stand the taste of the fillers in the powder). It is a natural substance (a plant that native americans used to chew for its sweet taste.) My favorite tea uses stevia leaves. (sweet and spicy by good earth.) I get mine from the suppliment isle at Whole Foods.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i use a couple splendas a day. hasn't hurt me at all.
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My thought - ICK!

I used to eat a lot of artificial sweetners, but they made me feel awful. Now I am completely off them. Just thinking of them turns my stomach

yep, took 2 weeks to come off of them and then I realized how they had made me feel. not going back.
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    try Stevia, IT's all natural, zero cal substitute, plus, studies suggest it actually improves insulin resistance! :)

Yep.
  • SpankyBuns
    SpankyBuns Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are if it's not natural/pure it doesn't go in my mouth. Just use a natural sweetener-but just a little, you'll get used to less. Good Luck:flowerforyou: