Helpful Info: Are you eating enough calories?

Options
So recently my friend told me that she didn't think I was eating enough calories. For the past couple months I had been at 1500 calories each day and was also exercising but the weight was just NOT coming off. She figured out my REE (Resting Energy Expenditure) by doing what is called The Mifflin Equation. It figures out how many calories a person needs each day just to SUSTAIN life. My number ended up being 1711, which I should NEVER be under. So turns out that my body had been in starvation mode when I was only eating 1500 calories a day and that's why it didn't want to let go of the fat, hence the no weight loss.

I also did a wellness assessment at a local University that took into account body fat %, flexibility, strength and a bunch of other tests. I also paid extra to have my REE actually measured by a machine. It ended up being 2141 which seemed like A LOT to me. So since then, I set My Fitness Pal to be at 2200 calories and then I try to be a little bit under that (but NEVER under 2141).

This past week I have been mostly a little bit under my goal of 2200 calories and I did 30 Day Shred 5 times and Zumba 2 times. This past week I lost 1.5 lbs. Healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs. per week because at that rate it will STAY off and you are losing fat instead of muscle or water weight.

So I just thought I would share The Mifflin Equation with you guys if you were interested:

REE (Resting Energy Expenditure) = (10 x weight/2.2) + (6.25 x height in inches x 2.54) - (5 x age) - 161

Sometimes to get the calories you should be eating you will also need to multiply your REE by your lifestyle/activity level. 1.3 is sedentary, 1.5 is lightly active and 1.7 is moderately active.

Last night while going over my wellness assessment results with my friend's husband (who works in the lab that does all the tests) I asked him if I should be eating more since I've been exercising quite a bit and he said that if I have enough energy and don't feel hungry and I'm getting the results that I want, then he would leave it alone or maybe increase it to 2400. I think I will keep it at 2200 for now. If I multiplied it by a sedentary lifestyle (1.3) then my calories each day would end up being 2783. But if I don't change it to that number then I will end up having a little more than a 500 calorie deficit each day. Which would add up to one pound of weight loss per week. (3500 calories is in a pound). Then with my exercise, that should put me at another 3500, which would be a total of 2 lbs. of weight loss per week.

Another thing I found helpful while talking to him last night was that to keep our blood sugar from spiking and then dropping multiple times a day, you should eat carbs, protein and fat with EVERY meal and snack. It takes the body longer to process proteins and fats than it does to process carbs. Since it takes the body longer to process protein and fat, your blood sugar doesn't spike as fast or drop as quickly.

Also, every one is different but he recommended that each day 55% of my calorie intake be from carbs, 25% from fat and 20% from protein. The healthy ranges for each of those things are: Carbs 45-65%, Fat 20-35%, and Protein 10-35%.

I hope that gave everyone some helpful information! I want everyone to lose weight in a healthy way because that will be weight loss that will stay off. If you didn't lose any weight this week or you gained, don't stress! It's just one week and you can just re-commit to your goals! Also, whenever you change up your diet or weight loss routines, it sometimes takes a couple of weeks for your body to catch up and start losing weight, but then it should be consistent.

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I also try to get some protein in at almost every meal. I had a doctor once tell me that to get a balanced diet, it's good to have 1/3 of your plate protein, 1/3 veggies, and 1/3 a starch. I don't follow those orders to the letter, but I find that my favorite breakfast involves a whole grain, such as oatmeal, some fruit, and some protein, like nuts or greek yogurt. That particular combination keeps me sane most of the morning.
  • susieq101178
    susieq101178 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Really great info - thanks for sharing!!
  • HelpWanted220
    HelpWanted220 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great info. Thanks for posting that!! I already did my REE off of what you said calculate and I too am going to stay at mine before I add in the lifestyle/activity level....
  • regmcc
    regmcc Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    bump
  • stablesong
    stablesong Posts: 224
    Options
    I did that equation and got 1068 but I also suck at math and might have done it wrong. My BMR has always been calculated around 1240. I eat 1300 calories a day plus exercise and I lose just fine. I did find that 1200 was too few calories for me so I after I upped it to 1240, then 1275, and now 1300 the weight is coming off better (provided that I can have a good week without cheat days).
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Interesting, when I figure this out I get 1584.4 but according to the tools from MFP, I should be only eating 1470. I've been trying to stick to the 1470, but am finding that I'm still hungry- especially after working out (and because of this often times eating stuff I shouldn't) and I'm tired all the time. Thinking I might start bumping it up a little just to see what happens since I've been stuck for going on a year in a 7 lb range and I really want to start losing again.
  • determinedmnmom
    Options
    Bump
  • Icedancer94
    Icedancer94 Posts: 108
    Options
    Is the weight in pounds?
  • Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jens_mission
    jens_mission Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This is very helpful! I calculated what my calorie intake should be and it's about 270 calories more....so I am going to give it a try and see how this week goes. Thanks.
  • bubblesburst80
    bubblesburst80 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    bump, great info
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    bump ,great info thank you
  • meesapanda89
    Options
    Good info. I think a lot of people eat too few calories to try to lose, and end up doing more harm than good.
  • angelzoey2
    Options
    Is that your weight over 2.2? Or your 10 x weight over 2.2?
  • angelzoey2
    Options
    And how do you determine how much you need to eat to lose? I know you said take off 500 calories a day to lose then... but that would mean, according to your formula, I would need to eat only like 1000 calories a day. I don't see how that wouldn't put me into starvation mode.
  • hw1219
    hw1219 Posts: 14
    Options
    Yes, the weight is in pounds.
  • hw1219
    Options
    Angelzoey2- It doesn't matter if you take your weight divided by 2.2 first and then multiply it by 10 or just do 10 times weight divided by 2.2 all in the same calculation, you will end up with the same number.

So the 500 calories a day deficit that I was referring to meant that since my REE is 2141, if I multiply that by my a sedentary lifestyle it would be at 2783. That number minus my REE would be about a 500 calorie deficit per day.

So what I was saying is that I'm going to keep my calories a little below 2200 (MFP is set at 2200) instead of going by 2783 with the lifestyle. My friend just said that if I wasn't feeling hungry and was seeing results, i didn't need to necessarily increase it to the 2783 with the lifestyle. But if on some days I feel like I need some more calories, I can definitely increase it.

You can send me a message if you have any more questions! I would be more than happy to help! I could also figure out your REE for you if you want, I would just need your height, weight and age.
  • MJBez
    MJBez Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for the great info :smile:
  • hw1219
    Options
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that the equation is for women. The equation for men is slightly different. If anyone wants to know the men's equation let me know (I would have to ask my friend, since I don't know it.).