C25K with dog?

Options
I want to know has anyone done this?
What kind of fitness was your dog doing before?
What breed?
Dog age?
Is you dog overweight?

I was possibly thinking of doing this with my dog. He is a 6 year old puggle named Crash. Has had 2 TPLO surgeries. (ACL in human form.) He is a bigger built puggle. He weighs 47lbs and was maxed at 54lbs. I have got him down to 45lbs lowest weight. I don't think he will ever be less than 40lbs but the lower the better.
Currently since we moved into an apartment he gets daily walks 20-30 mins depending on his sniffer,at least 5-6 days/week.

Replies

• Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Check with your vet!
    There is a program called Pooch to 5k (www.poochto5k.com)

My pup, a lab is only 10 months old so too young yet to start can't wait though
    Good luck!
  • FamilyRoots
    Options
    I would say it's a good idea to check with your vet. I know that TPLO surgery is a pretty big deal and every case is different. Being a smaller breed her may do better with running. My in-laws pit bull had that surgery on both knees and I don't think they could take her on regular runs. She's about a year out and had a very severe case.

Anyways, I would definitely talk with the vet first and then watch him for any signs of stress or pain. Good luck to you both!
  • spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My dog does the C25K with me!

She will be 3 in May, and is a GoldenDoodle - a direct cross of Standard Poodle and Golden Retriever (she is mostly Standard Poodle). She weighs 68# and is all legs. She just loves going out with me, and is a GREAT jogging partner.

I do make sure, however, that she gets out to do her "business" for about 10 minutes in the backyard before we go. That has cut out all stopping/sniffing/etc while doing C25K - but on the cool down she gets to sniff all she wants as long as we keep moving.

Good luck!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I ran with my 7 year old border collie. The stopping/starting made him very sad, though. So he would start running ahead then cut me off. Probably shouldn't use a dog bred for herding as a running partner...

Certainly can't take my pugs. One minute round and they are DONE.
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I would love to take superdog out but he broke his leg 2 years ago and it gets sore if he walks too much. That and he wants to pee on everything!

I think you can do it but the dog will need to be in good shape.

My friend takes his spaniel out running. The dog loves it. He easliy runs the full 5k.

Dogs are GREAT!
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I would say it's a good idea to check with your vet. I know that TPLO surgery is a pretty big deal and every case is different. Being a smaller breed her may do better with running. My in-laws pit bull had that surgery on both knees and I don't think they could take her on regular runs. She's about a year out and had a very severe case.

Anyways, I would definitely talk with the vet first and then watch him for any signs of stress or pain. Good luck to you both!

His 1st TPLO was a gradual tear over 6 months. The 2nd one was quick, all he had to do is jump off the bed. His 1st TPLO was 12-29-10 and the 2nd was 8-24-11. Only 8 months apart but the 2nd one healed 2 weeks soon. I think that is due to it being summer and he knew what was going on that time.

Thanks for all the advice, I guess I could always ask his surgeon.
    He tends to do fine on our daily walks. I have him on the flexi 16ft leash and he likes to stop and sniff and the run to catch back up. If I did Pooch 2 5K I'd be using a regular leash.
  • runmybunsoff
    runmybunsoff Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Awww, how fun! I want to run with my dog sooooooo baaaaddd. But she is overseas with my folks for another year :(. She recently did her first 5k with one of her dog sitters, and I was jealous, lol! Can't wait until she comes home.