Hi, and congratulations to you all!!

carr8025
carr8025 Posts: 6 Member
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
So here I am, on day 3 of the new regime, totally excited to take control back and make my life better!

I don't know about you, but I had no idea how I got here. Or even that I was coming here. As my clothes got tighter, I assumed they were shrinking. I told myself they were tight to begin with or that I was just bloated, or even that I was a skosh to skinny to begin with. (Ha!) Now most don't zip, and my thighs stretch the material of those few suit skirts that I can actually pull up past them so tightly, I am reminded of sand hills in the desert. Odd association, I suppose, but think of the imagery: mountainous but mobile and shifting, valleys and peaks, shaded or refractive of light. The material stretched to maximum capacity has become shimmery, its woven fibers strained to the max.

And so I bought new clothes. A dangerous paradigm, really. I've seen those tv shows - you know the ones - What Not to Wear, How Do I Look. Each tells us to dress for and accept the body we have. Each shows us that tight, ill-fitting clothes just make the body look bigger. And because I am vain, and because I couldn't get my zippers to zip all the way, and because each day I came home with multiple red rings around the belly from where the clothes dug into my flesh, I spent a fortune on new suits that now fit too snugly to wear in public. So I did it again - a whole new wardrobe just a size or two larger than the last - six sizes larger than when this weight gain started. It seems the only people winning here are the sales people at Nordstrom. Perhaps if I had forced myself to wear the tight clothes, I wouldn't have felt skinny, and instant gratification of whatever craving I had at the moment wouldn't have been feasible. Think Scarlett O'Hara, her 17 inch waist, and her really tight stays. Who knows?!

Like those overwhelmed by credit card debt, I have gotten to where I am by satisfying my every craving and whim, without regard for the consequences. If I crave a gelato for dessert after a lunch of ravioli in cream sauce, so be it. So what if I decide at dinner that night that I need a piece of chocolate cake to finish with the extra glass of red wine? I consume my food like shopoholics consume their designer shoes, scarves and dresses. I see it, I want it, I devour it. Well my bill has finally arrived, and as far as I can see, there is no bailout coming my way. I will have to suck it up and fix this myself.

One of the things I like about myfitnesspal.com is that it requires accountability. It stops me from eating on credit, while helping me pay down my overdue bill. I write in each item I eat and consider each calorie consumed. While I haven't been at it that long, I already found the act dissuades poor choices. It's not a handbag at one store and a pair of shoes at another and a dress the next day that never translate into dollars spent. It's "850 calories plus 700 calories plus..." for a sum total daily balance that I have to face and own daily. If I record it, then I did it, and I know exactly what I did.

Another perk is the inconvenience of it all. Sometimes the act of getting on the computer to write it all down just does not warrant the thrill of the consumption. How lazy is that? But why look a gift horse in the mouth. If it stops me, it stops me, and all I should say is AMEN! Also, I find that if I don't know how to record it, I won't eat it. For example, that sample of cake handed out at the Starbucks or the cracker with salmon spread handed out at the local grocery store boggle my mind. I want it, and they are just small samples, but how can I possibly know how many calories or fat each sample represents? And just think of the hundreds of calories I am not consuming in samples! I'll kick this yet!

Anyway, I am really excited about the changes to come. I hope that I can keep this up and keep this diary blog going. I wonder if anyone will read it or, better yet, respond. I wonder when I will see a noticeable difference in myself. I wonder when habits will be substituted out for consciousness conscientiousness. So, wish me luck. I wish the same for you and am really excited for all of us making a healthy change!

Replies

• Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Welcome to MFP:flowerforyou:
  • familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Carr welcome aboard I love this site. This is how I compeltty changed my life around. I started here Aug 17 2008 and hit goal weight of 150 on July 22nd. Took me 11 months 5 days to get to goal weigh with a total of 125 pounds lost. If you have any questions feel free to ask someone will answer them..

AGAIN welcome aboard
  • countindowntothin
    countindowntothin Posts: 201 Member
    you must be a writer, cause you almost had me thinking I was reading a book! I have been at this for a month, and I can promise you this is a slow and steady race to run...but in the end I am sure you will agree it is VERY worth it!!
  • Shanta1983
    you must be a writer, cause you almost had me thinking I was reading a book!

I was thinking the same thing:happy:
  • carr8025
    Wow! 47 pounds lost! That is amazing!! I am totally impressed and inspired! Also, thank you for reminding me to find my strength in God. I forget sometimes, which is CRAZY because God is the best support structure there is! Have a great day. :)
  • Shanta1983
    Wow! 47 pounds lost! That is amazing!! I am totally impressed and inspired! Also, thank you for reminding me to find my strength in God. I forget sometimes, which is CRAZY because God is the best support structure there is! Have a great day. :)

Thanks yes with GOD on your side you cant go wrong:happy:
  • carr8025
    Hi there. Congratulations on losing six pounds and, more importantly, sticking to this for a solid month so far. Starting out is always the hardest, and you are already succeeding! Way to go! Anyway, thank you for the response. I was surprised how good it feels to see evidence of other people working at this too. And, no, I am not a writer, but I agree my tendency to go on and on may make you think of novels, not blogs. :happy: Have a great day!
  • carr8025
    Holy toots! 125 pounds! That is absolutely amazing, and you must feel like a million bucks! Congratulations! I am totally impressed!
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    BRAVO Girl and Welcome!!! :flowerforyou:

Amazing how we "justify" things like using the credit cards & eating! A little more of this, a little more of that sure looks / tastes good at the time. But you're right! The time to pay the piper has come! And getting on the computer to log in our eating "expense account" is a great thing!

It's so helpful for making wise choices! For ex. today I wanted the free coffee I had "earned" by buying 10 on the punch card. I usually get an Americano w/cream = very few cals and much cheaper than a big foo-foo drink.

BUTT today since it was free, I should get something big, fat & juicy right? Like a mocha w/whipped cream? WRONG! So I poked around on MFP and picked a 16 oz. cappuccino w/whole milk = 140 cals.

Yahoo!!! Very satisfying on all accounts. :drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • Hi Carr,
    great to have you here! I just joined recently too and it really works!:laugh: Thanks for the nice read, do you actually write? I would give you a column right away if I had a mag! Love your style. The rest will come, stick to it. I wish you not only luck, but strength! Welcome aboard.
    Talk soon, Eva :flowerforyou:

264230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!!! You will love it here if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so supportive, motivational, helpful, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you much success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile:
This discussion has been closed.