Diary of a Compulsive Overeater - Day 2

Options
so yesterday was an ok day. i stuck to the meal plan, fell within my calorie alottment and did not binge. i felt fairly content yesterday, aside from the hungry feeling i had for most of the day (not sure if it was actualy hunger, or just the normal feeling of not being stuffed beyond belief). i walked to and from work as usual, about 30 minutes total, and had a good sleep. all in all not a bad day.

so, no, i have not had myself professionally checked out. however everytime i go to my doctor, no matter what is wrong with me, he always tells me the main reason for (insert illness here) is because i'm fat. makes me avoid doctors like the plague so i dont know how to go seek help. i've been to some of those overeaters anonymous meetings, but they were not for me. do i just walk into his office and say, "look, i can't stop eating. i need help"? i have full medical coverage including psychiatric visits and counselling so it would be nice to know how to get a referral for that.

for me right now it's not so much about losing weight as it is about not bingeing. so i went a whole day yesterday without bingeing and managed to eat healthfully in the process. here is to today.

planned menu for april 17, 2008:

breakfast:
1 cup oatmeal
1 banana

snack:
yoghurt
celery sticks
apple

lunch:
tossed salad
leftovers (1/2 cup mashed potatoes, 2 sausages, 1/2 cup steamed broccoli)

snack:
1 orange
24 roasted almonds

supper:
2 roasted chicken thighs
1/2 cup rice
steamed broccoli

snack:
1 cup skim milk

here we go!

Replies

• ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    so yesterday was an ok day. i stuck to the meal plan, fell within my calorie alottment and did not binge. i felt fairly content yesterday, aside from the hungry feeling i had for most of the day (not sure if it was actualy hunger, or just the normal feeling of not being stuffed beyond belief). i walked to and from work as usual, about 30 minutes total, and had a good sleep. all in all not a bad day.

so, no, i have not had myself professionally checked out. however everytime i go to my doctor, no matter what is wrong with me, he always tells me the main reason for (insert illness here) is because i'm fat. makes me avoid doctors like the plague so i dont know how to go seek help. i've been to some of those overeaters anonymous meetings, but they were not for me. do i just walk into his office and say, "look, i can't stop eating. i need help"? i have full medical coverage including psychiatric visits and counselling so it would be nice to know how to get a referral for that.

for me right now it's not so much about losing weight as it is about not bingeing. so i went a whole day yesterday without bingeing and managed to eat healthfully in the process. here is to today.

planned menu for april 17, 2008:

breakfast:
    1 cup oatmeal
    1 banana

snack:
    yoghurt
    celery sticks
    apple

lunch:
    tossed salad
    leftovers (1/2 cup mashed potatoes, 2 sausages, 1/2 cup steamed broccoli)

snack:
    1 orange
    24 roasted almonds

supper:
    2 roasted chicken thighs
    1/2 cup rice
    steamed broccoli

snack:
    1 cup skim milk

here we go!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Sounds good.
    If you are feeling hungry, try drinking water.
    Sounds like you need a new doctor.
    Good luck to you ellelit on your new lifestyle venture.:flowerforyou:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    You are doing a wonderful job. Take it one day at a time. It is hard work to retrain your mind to not want to binge eat.

If I were you, yes, I would walk in to this office and say something like 'Listen, I am very serious. I need help. I can not stop binge eating. Can you please refer me to someone for support?".

If he doesn't take you seriously after that, find a new doctor.

I am here for you all the way and will be cheering you on. I want to see you succeed. :heart:
  • jetswa737
    jetswa737 Posts: 28
    Options
    If you are looking for help such as one on one counseling, take a look at your Health Insureanc Card and there should be a toll free number for Mental Health. If that is not on your card contact the general 800 number for your Health Insurance plan and ask them for a list of providers in your area focusing on the issue you would like to address. Hope this helps. I also would get a new doctor. Doesnt sound like he has any bedside manner. My question to you would be is he actually saying it exactly like you have stated or is he just not giving you the answers you seeks. Please keep in mind I am not attacking, but we have to admit that being overweight does have some impact on quite a few medical issues.
  • sa3whitt
    sa3whitt Posts: 7
    Options
    Give yourself some credit!! Sounds like you did awesome. One thing you will find (or at least I did) the first few days are the hardest. After that, you will being to see how much better you feel eating the smaller portions, but eating more times throughout the day. Good luck. And I agree with the other blogger - time for a new doctor. My doctor kindly put it that the human body is an amazing, fuel efficient machine - don't have to full it up as full or often as we do our cars.
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options

First off congrats on yesterday!! :flowerforyou:

2nd... I know exactly the kind of doctor you have. I have gone through 5 different doctors in the past few years because everything I talk to them about I get the response of.... you need to lose weight.

Well der!!! I know that idiot!! But most of the time the things that I bring up were never an issue when I weighed alot more than what I do now! I will ask them... Why didn't I have this issue when I weighed 100 lbs more than what I weigh now? Of course then they have no answer other than again repeating... you need to lose weight. ~rollin my eyes~ and they wonder why I think all doctors are maroons.

:laugh: