It's A Long Road, And It's Hard As Hell!

Options
jmapes9
jmapes9 Posts: 144 Member
Hey y'all, the name is Joel. I've been using MFP for about 5 weeks now, and as of yesterday morning, I've lost 20 pounds. When I started this weight loss journey, I weighed almost 380. And now, I'm below 360 for the first time in 7 years.

Based on my height and weight, MFP tells me I should weigh 183.6 pounds. Guess I've got my work cut-out for me!

Replies

• Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Hey, you started and continued for the 20 pounds. Keep up the great work!
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    keep it up buddy! You can do it!!!!!!!!
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You are already doing amazing. Don't look to 183, just keep taking it one day at a time.
  • Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    that's a great start. Keep up the good work.
  • zamiesgirl
    Options
    congrats and keep up the good work....I have a long journey too but its gonna be an awesome journey...
  • ili_s
    ili_s Posts: 66
    Options
    Just remember that slow and steady wins the race. you didn't put all this weight on overnight, and you shouldn't expect it to come off overnight either.

Keep up the fantastic work. It IS hard, and you need to work your butt off (literally) but it is oh-so-worth-it.

Set small goals and tick them off whenever you achieve one, and keep your weight loss in perspective.

*thumbs up*
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    congrats to you -- stay focused and don't give up!
    best of luck to you!
  • HealthierHappierBrenda
    Options
    20lbs in 5 weeks, that's awesome....it will be a long road but so worth it in the end....right now i'm setting my weight loss goals at 20lb increments....so i've got 2 more goals to go....Good luck and i'm sure you can do it with your success so far :)
  • EnthusiaLove
    Options
    We all have to have a beginning and you have already shown that this can be done. You can do it. How wonderful is that...Your making the steps now to have a healthy life. I think its is wonderful yet it is hard. Hard is not an excuse for not having what you want in life. You will find the rewards of living and then loving at your full potential-that is awesome. Do not look at the long picture-look at it incrementally. I do not want you to feel discouraged because if your like the rest of us-you will have good and bad days but YOU always good. Your always a good man. I applaud your efforts and I have faith, along with you that the best is yet to come. Hang in there and think lovingly to yourself about yourself.
  • neznarf0205
    neznarf0205 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It is a life changing thing. It is a long road but keep taking the steps. I am supposed to be 165 pounds but I am shooting for 190. I am 5 11. Listen to your body, and don't let emotions or bad days wreck your plan. Remember your end goal and be true.

Good luck and great job so far!
  • jmapes9
    jmapes9 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind advice, everybody. I'm still as focused as I was 5 weeks ago, and feel great about everything. The first two weeks, I ignored MFP's recommended calorie amount, and ate too little. While I lost 11 pounds or so the first week, by the end of the second, my body was in starvation mode, and I only lost 2 pounds. After being discouraged, I received overwhelming amounts of advice and encouragement from my Facebook friends, and am now on the right track. I am now consuming the correct amount of calories, and make sure to walk daily. The first 4 weeks, I walked 1.5 miles each day, and since then, it's up to 2 miles. My average walking speed has increased from 2.3 mph to 2.9 mph, also!