FitBit

Options
2»

Replies

• rrshult
    rrshult Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not yet. I understand how it is supposed to adjust but so far nothing is adjusting in MFP.
  • dasblondie
    dasblondie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I bought my FitBit yesterday and right away synced it to MFP but I'm not seeing the calories burned being transferred over to MFP. I know its synced correctly, my food in take is being transferred to FB. Any ideas? I'd like to have it also move the info over to MFP. Other than that so far I love it.

not sure if someone has answered this question yet, but it will adjust your calories once it has reached a point to increase your calorie allowance (hope that make sense) a certain amount of activity is assumed in your original profile (sedetary, lightly active, etc) because the two programs work together it wil adjust accordingly....as long as you see your food showing up on fitbit it is def. communicating :)
  • dasblondie
    dasblondie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    it also takes a little longer for the calories to show up on MFP...not sure why but i do notice my food shows up quicker than my calories adjust
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump for later. Really want to know which to get...
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you set up your diet profile on MFP too. I was getting more exercise calories when I said I was sedentary. But over time I have started to exercise more and so I changed my profile. It was getting hard to adjust my meal planning when I was getting so many exercise calories. But now saying I'm lightly active with 5 workouts a week, I am getting a smaller bump for exercise calories. I do think it's important to do this.... because I think I wasn't getting enough calories for awhile there before I adjusted it. It's easier to plan my day out when it's only 100-150 calorie adjustment for me.

I get exercise calories now if I go over about 7000 - 7500 steps in the day. Depends on what kind of activity too.

Fitbit also lets you set up a goal weight and a profile with your height, weight, etc. So it will set you a food goal too. Is your food diary transferring to Fitbit? Does it say how many calories you have eaten today? It's under Food Plan. One of the main reasons I joined MFP was for the food data base, it's much better than what's on Fitbit. It's easier to log my food here.

Fitbit will give you a goal range so you know if you are in a good range for the day. It will take 500 calories off like MFP too (if you say you want to lose 1 lb a week)

So you have to burn more calories than your BMR and what you put in for exercise on MFP. Even then, if you are sort of sedentary for the rest of the day..... some of those exercise calories will disappear.
  • bcgirlerin
    bcgirlerin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Not yet. I understand how it is supposed to adjust but so far nothing is adjusting in MFP.

As I understand it, calories will only be added if the calories you FitBit calculates are more than the ones MFP has set as your normal daily calorie burn. To find that out from My Home click on Goals, in the right hand column you will find a section near the top, Calories burned. The number you want is "From normal daily activity". If you Fitbit calories are higher than that number it should be adding the difference to MFP. At least that is how I think it works. I don't have a FitBit so I am not sure.
  • marzekiel
    marzekiel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've used my fitbit for a long time, and it motivates me every day. I track my sleep too (well, it measures how much you roll around in bed, depending on where you place it, and steps if you get up to go to the loo).

Mine was replaced (cracked) and I had another one, so for several days I wore all three for a transition to one, and I was curious to see how they syncd. They didn't.

Even though worn at virtually the same spot, they all had different results and different measurements. My walks showed different numbers of steps and my sleep was different on each. I posted a question on their forum about how to get the same results, but no one ever responded. Then I realized my question wasn't posted publicly, just on my account! Weird.

Finally, just chose one (the other will be a gift) and I'll stick to it.

Just saying . . .
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I've only had mine 3 days but so far I can see it tracks all of your movements, including during sleep if you want it to! Last night my sleep was 92% effective! Cool! I like the idea of setting goals of XX steps or XX flights of stairs and I'm sure it will get me up and off my butt more. I haven't been working out due to a medical condition, but I'm hoping to be cleared once again today and can't wait to see what I'll log once I'm back in my groove!
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I bought my FitBit yesterday and right away synced it to MFP but I'm not seeing the calories burned being transferred over to MFP. I know its synced correctly, my food in take is being transferred to FB. Any ideas? I'd like to have it also move the info over to MFP. Other than that so far I love it.

not sure if someone has answered this question yet, but it will adjust your calories once it has reached a point to increase your calorie allowance (hope that make sense) a certain amount of activity is assumed in your original profile (sedetary, lightly active, etc) because the two programs work together it wil adjust accordingly....as long as you see your food showing up on fitbit it is def. communicating :)

I don't actually think that's how it works - it's not how mine works anyway. Mine gives calories everytime it syncs. And I'm not entirely sure how it decides. I'm pretty much just seeing how my body responds based on what it's telling me, and if it turns out I'm not losing, I'll adjust how many calories I'm eating back. I have mine mostly for motivation and for that, it can't be beat.