Is it bad to eat too much protin and not enough carbs?

Options
Basically, I noticed that almost every day I meet my calorie goals just fine, but I eat too much protin and not enough carbs and fat. Is this bad for weight loss?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem! LOL! I'm supposed to be on a lower carb diet too.

Unless you have specific dietary requirements due to illness or failing organs, there is no such thing as too much protein!
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    Protein is pretty crucial to weight loss, and if you haven't adjusted your settings from the standard ones.. it is unlikely you are getting too much. I have my settings at 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. For me, I eat nearly 1g of protein per pound of body weight.
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I eat well over a 100grams of protein daily and aim for 173grams I don't always make it but I try. Just drink lots of water, it is a must if you are eating high protein
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Protein is pretty crucial to weight loss, and if you haven't adjusted your settings from the standard ones.. it is unlikely you are getting too much. I have my settings at 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. For me, I eat nearly 1g of protein per pound of body weight.

This.

Of the three, carbs are the ones I would worry least about meeting. Dietary fats can be a substitute energy source for your body, and are good for you in other ways.

Switching up the settings (as suggested) on MFP is a good thing, but when you work out...it makes for an astronomical protein goal lol.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I`m alwaysgetting messages that i go well over board on my protein, its not by choice its just how i eat..The joys of having an open diary eh.. :laugh:
  • suzgord
    suzgord Posts: 1
    Options
    Having the same concern about too high on protein and going over sugars as well. That second part is likely to be more insidious. Where does the 55/30/15 percentage come from?
  • kenscarlson
    kenscarlson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would eat protein over carbs if I were you, it preserves your lean muscle mass and the less carbs in your body the more your body will burn fat.
  • sivankeren
    sivankeren Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    thank you all for answering! :smile:
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    The rule is g of fat per pound of lean body mass, not just body weight (that's for those of us who need to drop a lot of weight).
  • Tani_LT
    Tani_LT Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're in any danger or anything like that, but just in case, here is the short-long story, bear with me.

We need carbohydrates for energy for muscles (and other things) and is important for the functioning of our brain. In our body we store glucose (carbs that are used for fuel) as glycogen and when our blood sugar is low our liver break it up and release it to our blood stream so it can be used as fuel.

This is important because glucose is what the brain uses for energy, so, when we are not eating carbs and our glycogen stores are out our bodies turn to protein to get some of that glucose it needs to function. Your body starts to take glucose from your liver and your muscles.

That's why it's not a good thing to be on no carb high protein diets.

I don't know why this post was much longer in my head.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I don't think you're in any danger or anything like that, but just in case, here is the short-long story, bear with me.

We need carbohydrates for energy for muscles (and other things) and is important for the functioning of our brain. In our body we store glucose (carbs that are used for fuel) as glycogen and when our blood sugar is low our liver break it up and release it to our blood stream so it can be used as fuel.

This is important because glucose is what the brain uses for energy, so, when we are not eating carbs and our glycogen stores are out our bodies turn to protein to get some of that glucose it needs to function. Your body starts to take glucose from your liver and your muscles.

I don't mean to seem rude by disagreeing, but this is something of a myth. Your body can also use dietary fat as an energy source, and will...given the opportunity. Carbs are important, but they're not the be all/end all people make them out to be. As long as you're getting your protein and fats in, your body will happily plug along doing what it needs to. This includes providing energy for your brain, and energy for your workouts, all without chewing your muscles and organs to provide that energy. Should you cut them out completely? Probably not...and why would you? They're pretty difficult to avoid in todays world lol. Balance is the key, but cutting carbs isn't incredibly unhealthy as people believe, as long as you're eating healthy otherwise.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    The rule is g of fat per pound of lean body mass, not just body weight (that's for those of us who need to drop a lot of weight).

Agreed...but more won't hurt you...up to a pretty astronomical level.
  • Tani_LT
    Tani_LT Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I don't mean to seem rude by disagreeing, but this is something of a myth. Your body can also use dietary fat as an energy source, and will...given the opportunity. Carbs are important, but they're not the be all/end all people make them out to be. As long as you're getting your protein and fats in, your body will happily plug along doing what it needs to. This includes providing energy for your brain, and energy for your workouts, all without chewing your muscles and organs to provide that energy. Should you cut them out completely? Probably not...and why would you? They're pretty difficult to avoid in todays world lol. Balance is the key, but cutting carbs isn't incredibly unhealthy as people believe, as long as you're eating healthy otherwise.

You can disagree all you want but myth it is not. It's called gluconeogenesis which makes glucose from non carbs except fats cannot be turned into glucose only into energy (you can give me the blah + blah-> pyruvate argument but it hasn't been proved)

You can either learn something or continue believing you already have the answers. Your call.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

You can disagree all you want but myth it is not. It's called gluconeogenesis which makes glucose from non carbs except fats cannot be turned into glucose only into energy (you can give me the blah + blah-> pyruvate argument but it hasn't been proved)

You can either learn something or continue believing you already have the answers. Your call.

This goes both ways...don't you think? Funny thing is, I stated carbs are important, they just aren't the holy grail of energy sources that they are made out to be.

And all those poor, poor unhealthy primal people who have been living this way for years. Whatever will they do?

Anyway, I myself have eaten low (note...I didnt' say 'no') carb/high fat for stretches. I don't like it...not because I felt crappy or didn't have any energy for my workouts (which if you ask 99% of people is impossible without carbs), but because I like things that have carbs in them a bit too much lol. My workouts through those stretches were some of my best, most intense ever...and I felt incredible. I just refuse to totally give up the Taco Bell and Mountain Dew.

Anyway, I guess I'll just go on being an ignorant fat eater who can take or leave carbs. I'll let you know when the lack has reduced my brain and organs to dinner for the rest of my body.
  • MustangCindy67
    MustangCindy67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    lol...interesting banter going on here...different strokes for different folks...what works for may not work for another.... and then we sometimes need to change things up with exercise and food.... but I do agree low carb with higher protein and fats works . ( I do this every so often to kick start my metabolism and gives me incentive to keep going...a little boost both physical and mental...)..an Atkins style diet that allows for exercise.... the Ideal Protein diet is very low carb low fat and high protein but provides zero energy and advises not to exercise...this also works but who would want to be a couch potatoe?
    I have followed the Canadian food guide with little success...eveything in moderation to maintain is ok but to lose we need to find our individual program ...... I think for those who need to lose major lbs then it is a life style change with both food and exercise.... listen to your body, esp if you are a woman...and too much protein can mess with PMS...lol.... and too little fat can cause other female issues... my 2 cents....:)
    ps think caveman days..... low carb....high protein and fat....:) and lots of exercise.....!
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options

Have you never heard of ketosis?
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Have you never heard of ketosis?

Probably not. Though...in her vast 25yrs of life experience, it's clear she's learned more than enough to determine that she's the only one with the answers.
  • MustangCindy67
    MustangCindy67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Ketosis....my sister started the Ideal Protein in mid Jan and as of this week lost an astonishing 55lbs and still has to weigh in in 2 days..... fat eating fat..... I didnt believe it until I saw her recently and wow is an understatement.... the only thing is her energy is too low to exercise.... she will stop in mid May and slowly increase her carbs and introduce exercise.... but this was her quick fix....I couldnt afford this diet so I am improvising with a mixture of everything and have lost 23 lbs since mid January..... Ketosis does exist...:flowerforyou: